View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:15 am



Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Xide sighting on FB 
Author Message
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: USA
Unread post Xide sighting on FB
https://www.facebook.com/TW2002/posts/10158840517636535?comment_id=10158862540586535&notif_id=1588981072043666&notif_t=feed_comment

Thought you might like to say "Hey" to him. I invited him to post here as well.

_________________

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Posts: 3
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
So .. umm... Hi!

I have to admit, this is a little overwhelming. I had no idea that the TW community was still this active. I remember checking up on things about a decade or so ago and it looked like everything was dying out ... but here I see so many familiar names, and it looks like there are awesome people still working on TWX Proxy!

How is everyone doing? Is the game still as enjoyable as it ever was? I saw something about game sizes going over 20k sectors ... I don't quite know how to fit my head around that.


Sat May 09, 2020 10:03 pm
Profile
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Xide tried to log in, but forgot his old PW. He started a new account. Please grant him access.

_________________

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Sun May 10, 2020 11:24 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:00 am
Posts: 722
Location: Arkansas
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
I was just thinking about you a few weeks ago. Glad to see you're still alive and kicking Xide.

_________________
Black Sun TWGS
http://www.blacksuntwgs.com
blacksuntwgs.gotdns.com:23


Mon May 11, 2020 8:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Xide_ wrote:
So .. umm... Hi!

I have to admit, this is a little overwhelming. I had no idea that the TW community was still this active. I remember checking up on things about a decade or so ago and it looked like everything was dying out ... but here I see so many familiar names, and it looks like there are awesome people still working on TWX Proxy!

How is everyone doing? Is the game still as enjoyable as it ever was? I saw something about game sizes going over 20k sectors ... I don't quite know how to fit my head around that.


Yeap, and TWXProxy is at the heart of every tournament game. If you want to knock some rust off, I'm sure there are plenty of people here would love to show you the scripts they've created. Not one serious tournament is played without TWXProxy today.

Yes, universes are 30K now, most are banged without aliens, some with planets that have product when created. It's all about data mining the grid today, usually the first team to grid out 40% wins.

Very few people use ICQ now, many are migrating to Discord. Except Xanos, he's still using an old OS. heh

Welcome back! What have you been up to these past 15 years?

_________________

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 14
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Wow. More old school people coming back out. I am trying to get back into TW myself. My BBS is back to humming along on a new VM. I still need to rebang some games.

_________________
telnet://bbs.memphistw.org:23 BBS
telnet://bbs.memphistw.org:2002 TWGS


Fri May 15, 2020 6:39 pm
Profile
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
I'm really surprised this didn't get more activity.

Does everyone know who Xide is?

_________________

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Tue May 19, 2020 1:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 506
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Cruncher wrote:
I'm really surprised this didn't get more activity.

Does everyone know who Xide is?


Yes, of course. There just aren't enough active players left, that's the issue. And the ones who are active are ingrates like Farley, who couldn't script his way out of a wet paper bag.

_________________
TOURNAMENT WINNER: ICE 2017 - ICE 2019 - SUMMER SPLASH 2019 - XMAS TOURNEY 2019


Tue May 19, 2020 7:19 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 342
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Farley doesn't need to script. He has an awesome team behind him that does it. Hell Farley probably knows more about scripting than I do right now. He definitely knows how to run many of the scripts better than I do because I have to ask him how to do it.

This thing about this game is many people have different loves and different skills when it comes to playing TW.

We need to stop this kind of nonsense with other players. The community is small enough. Why drive out a player who wants to play and have fun? In turn, other players see that and then don't want to play. Some healthy smack talk is ok but come on, lets be more adult than this. We are not 14 years old any more and need to start acting like it.

Shadow wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
I'm really surprised this didn't get more activity.

Does everyone know who Xide is?


Yes, of course. There just aren't enough active players left, that's the issue. And the ones who are active are ingrates like Farley, who couldn't script his way out of a wet paper bag.

_________________
Where Chaos Reigns TW Server
chaos-twgs.com:23


Fri May 22, 2020 12:07 am
Profile ICQ
Commander
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 1220
Location: Rural Indiana
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
The Bounty Hunter wrote:
Farley doesn't need to script. He has an awesome team behind him that does it. Hell Farley probably knows more about scripting than I do right now. He definitely knows how to run many of the scripts better than I do because I have to ask him how to do it.

This thing about this game is many people have different loves and different skills when it comes to playing TW.

We need to stop this kind of nonsense with other players. The community is small enough. Why drive out a player who wants to play and have fun? In turn, other players see that and then don't want to play. Some healthy smack talk is ok but come on, lets be more adult than this. We are not 14 years old any more and need to start acting like it.

Shadow wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
I'm really surprised this didn't get more activity.

Does everyone know who Xide is?


Yes, of course. There just aren't enough active players left, that's the issue. And the ones who are active are ingrates like Farley, who couldn't script his way out of a wet paper bag.


AGREED! Coming from someone who also 'could not script his way out of a paper bag' We really need to move past the childishness and keep the few players we have left...

sk

_________________
Star Killer
USA(RETIRED)
Loyalty Above All Else Except Honor
Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Website: http://sk-twgs.com
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com


Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
This game will literally die with us. It will go the way of "Pong" and Attari.

_________________

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 2453
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Cruncher wrote:
This game will literally die with us. It will go the way of "Pong" and Attari.

I certainly hope not!

I had a nurse that is totally into vintage computers if you can believe that. He bought a Tandy 100 laptop and wants to use it to connect to a Real dial up BBS. He has never played TradeWars, but he knew all about it. I told my son and he told me I needed to cut back on the pain killers. :lol: Seriously though, I was only on anti-bionics and high blood pressure meds! Anyway this little tidbit is from Bert:

Level 29: the BBS
Web: https://bbs.retrobattlestations.com/
Telnet: bbs.fozztexx.com
Dialup: 916 965 1701

Unfortunately it is not running TradeWars 2002. It is just a simple single message board and few simple games like tic-tac-toe, and while it does not inspire me to go hunting for a modem, it is an interesting novelty.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/frrjg6r


Sun May 24, 2020 4:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lance Corporal

Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 9:58 pm
Posts: 3
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
So it looks like I broke the email notification for post replies.... and it only took me 3 weeks to figure that out :)

Things are good here. I moved to the UK for 5 years or so, came back to NZ, started a family, and started a new business, which is doing OK.

I really learnt a whole lot from my work on TWX Proxy. It's enabled me to build bigger things since then.

Are there many people still actively playing TW? Do the regular tournaments still run?


Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:04 am
Profile
Commander
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 1220
Location: Rural Indiana
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Xide_ wrote:
So it looks like I broke the email notification for post replies.... and it only took me 3 weeks to figure that out :)

Things are good here. I moved to the UK for 5 years or so, came back to NZ, started a family, and started a new business, which is doing OK.

I really learnt a whole lot from my work on TWX Proxy. It's enabled me to build bigger things since then.

Are there many people still actively playing TW? Do the regular tournaments still run?


Heya

Yea Tourneys still happen but they are not as big as they were in your day. did have 32 players in 2016 Ice. but have not drawn anywhere near that since. While there is still a core group of hardcore players most of the player base seam to avoid the tourney's. im averaging 20-30 players a day on my server. most playing builders and other regulated games. But my Hardcore games do okay as awell...

sk

_________________
Star Killer
USA(RETIRED)
Loyalty Above All Else Except Honor
Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Website: http://sk-twgs.com
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com


Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:00 am
Posts: 722
Location: Arkansas
Unread post Re: Xide sighting on FB
Speaking as someone that never learned to script, that lack of skill pushed me out of the game. If you aren't friends with someone that does, you're stuck with public scripts that are hit or miss.

_________________
Black Sun TWGS
http://www.blacksuntwgs.com
blacksuntwgs.gotdns.com:23


Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.