View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 I guess that I am back, trying to write a grid\mowing script 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I guess that I am back, trying to write a grid\mowing script
Non-computer people say they hate computers and computers hate them. I love computers, but they sure seem to hate me. I just finished my second Bachelor's and I absolutely needed a reliable computer, so last summer I bought one of the best laptops that Costco with a standard two year warranty, and I paid for an extended warranty.

Within weeks, I sent it in for repairs. It completely died as I was preparing for finals, although it booted after a few days, I only needed to reinstall Windows, and it keeps telling me to purchase a new license.

So, when one laptop went down, I would pull up another and try to use it. On one I saw my TWGS server, so I decided to mess around again. I believe that I stopped playing the last time because the server went down.

I never felt that I was especially good at writing scripts and with the poor memory that plagued me in college, I was reviewing old scripts to see what they did and how I made them work.

I just wanted to have my script send "CKU," wait a moment, send space, and pull the first unknown sector.

Instead of wasting your time further, will one of you kind gentlemen please tell me how to perform this simple task?

Following DNY's macro tutorial, I plan on sending "q q z n m " $destinationSector "* z a " $maxFigsPerAttack "* f 1 * c t m"

However, I want to be able to throw in a holographic scan and perhaps blindly attempting to trade, which only works when I tell it to move to adjacent sectors, so I would look up the flight route and send everything at once.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post Re: I guess that I am back, trying to write a grid\mowing sc
Challenge accepted. Snippet included, warts and all:
Code:
# unexplored sector grabber
:pregame
setvar $target 0
send "cku"
waitfor "NOT explored"
:grablines
settextlinetrigger nextline :nextline
pause
:nextline
setvar $testline currentline
getword $testline $testword 1
#  debug stuff left in...
#   echo ANSI_11 "*" & $testword & "*" & $testline & "*"
#
If $testword = 0
  goto :grablines
  #  so blank means blank line, reset.
End

# ok, so if we get here, $testword is the first sector in a list currentline long...

setvar $counter 1
setarray $unexplored sectors
:unexplored_array
setvar $unexplored[$counter] $testword     
setvar $counter $counter + 1
setvar $testword 0
getword $testline $testword $counter
If $testword = 0 or $counter > sectors
  # so we got all the numbers on that line...
  goto :wrap_it
End
# ok, so getting here means there's more!
goto :unexplored_array
:wrap_it
# get off computer prompt
send "  *q"

echo ANSI_11 "*" & "Ok, we found " & $counter - 1 & " sectors in that line." & "*"
setvar $finalcounter 0
:makelist
setvar $finalcounter $finalcounter + 1
If $finalcounter = $counter
  goto :but_wait
End
echo ansi_4 "* " & $unexplored[$finalcounter]

goto :makelist

:but_wait
# but really twx already knows about your unexplored sectors...
setvar $index 1
setvar $counter 0
setarray $twx_unexplored sectors
:grab_twx_array
If SECTOR.EXPLORED[$index] <> "YES"
  # so this a sector we haven't seen
  setvar $counter $counter + 1
  setvar $twx_unexplored[$counter] $index
End
setvar $index $index + 1
If $index <= sectors
goto :grab_twx_array
End
waitfor "<Computer deactivated>"
echo ANSI_8 "*" & "Ok, we found " & $counter & " sectors twx has unexplored." & "*"

:daEnd
halt

You see that I sent the 'cku' then started checking lines, the first is
blank, but the next 'currentline' will have your lowest unexplored sectors.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

Thanks so much! I look forward to using this and learning from it! :)

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 pm
Gameop

Grey Gamer wrote:
Thanks so much! I look forward to using this and learning from it! :)

All script's are honestly 800% easier than most think they are to write.

The largest part is debugging/safeties so you don't go boom. The last gridder I co-wrote I think maybe 1/4 or more was case statement safeties.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 am
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Every few years I track down this script and stop playing before I use it.

I found a server where there were 4 aliens with home worlds and a player named Z left behind 5 planets.

The aliens had max fuel, but few fighters.

Z left behind max fighters (at least by the time he quit and I invaded his planets), but no shields, and the quasars were off.

Photons were allowed, so I invaded each planet once I had mothed it down enough, or had enough fighters.

I had been wondering at what point I would consider it a win and quit.

The planetary trading script that I tried doesn't work consistently. Mine works well as long as I keep feeding it sectors.

I don't know that I will ever take the time to make it check sectors from a file or check sectors where I have fighters for relevant ports.

I was actually trying to find a LORD server when I ran across another TW game. There weren't really any other players, but strangely, there are hardly any ports!

There are 20,000 sectors and 163 ports!

There are 43 planets somewhere, but I have only seen Earth--and there isn't a Class 0 port in Sector 1.

Someone left 1,000 fighters and mines in most sectors, so getting around is a pain. There are a few ports in FedSpace and in the lanes, but if you start trying to find your way through empty sectors you end up going through a one-way warp and surrounded by rogue fighters and abandoned mines.

Terra generates colonists quickly, there are planets that produce equipment with 1 group, and there were two xxB ports in FedSpace, so I dropped relevant planets there, colonized them, and have been clearing my own trade lanes, and making endless trips to sell my goods.

I finally got the ports upgraded beyond my planets' ability to produce equipment, so I finally bought a nice ship with a lot of fighters and shields, and started clearing rogue fighters.

I still want to systematically explore the universe, but I want to clear the areas around Earth and StarDock first, so I pull up the map, set course for a grey square, and spam "m^M^Mznzna9999m^M" until I get there--and possibly to sector 9,999.

So, I figured out how to brute force it. I just wish that I knew why this randomly goes rogue. I spam a macro that sells the equipment, warps to my planet, picks up more goods, and warps back.

The weird thing is that sometimes my ship randomly warps off to a random sector--not any number in my macro.

I wonder if SWATH is trying to negotiate during a macro.

I guess that I should turn off that feature and see what happens.

I think that once I clear the areas around StarDock (I did the Greater Metropolitan FedSpace region manually) I will try out this script.

I don't plan on building any empires. I already have one of those and I and sure that my planets are maxed out and I need to start new ones.

I just want to clear out the fighters and mines and build paired ports.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:03 am
Ambassador

Sonds like you have found one of Farley's rogue games. He likes to blow the ports, to maybe give the Sysop a clue that the game is over.

The remaining ports are probably in a bubble with heavy defenses in the door.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:22 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander

re reading that code makes my head hurt.

it looks like i did two scripts, trying to do some
teaching/pontificating on that second one.

I usually use wildstars unexplored sector scout.

i'll try to buff up that snippet for ya if i get a chance,
it's embarrassing knowing it's out there.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

Micro wrote:
Sonds like you have found one of Farley's rogue games. He likes to blow the ports, to maybe give the Sysop a clue that the game is over.

The remaining ports are probably in a bubble with heavy defenses in the door.
That explains why there isn't a Class 0 port in Sector 1, but not why there is still a StarDock.

I never would have bothered if there wasn't an SD! :)

I have a great deal of downtime with this game. In the beginning I ran SWATH ZTM, which apparently, like everything else I do, was a rookie mistake, but it found dozens of small bubbles, no more than 9 sectors each, and I explored all of them without finding more than fighters and mines.

There aren't any black holes and I also visited all of the larger dead ends.

I always thought of dead ends as sectors with one warp in and one warp out. I had SWATH make me a list of all of the unexplored ones, but I had already visited all of the dead ends with at least 5 sectors.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:05 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Crosby wrote:
re reading that code makes my head hurt.

it looks like i did two scripts, trying to do some
teaching/pontificating on that second one.

I usually use wildstars unexplored sector scout.

i'll try to buff up that snippet for ya if i get a chance,
it's embarrassing knowing it's out there.
I ran your script and it told me "Ok, we found 17483 sectors twx has unexplored," which was weird, because I had explored 32% of 20,000 sectors. I pulled a CIM and ran your script again with the exact same result.

I couldn't find a Wildstar scout. I found a Lonestar scout, which I renamed Wildstar, but it didn't work.

Then I found both Wildstar and Lonestar scouts in my scripts directory.

So... those come with TWX? :)

I also have a ram one, but I went back to see why each failed, cleared 5 pages of avoids, and Lonestar's scout is working--so far.

It says that it will finish in 67 minutes.

I don't think so!

I had 285,000 fighters when I finished exploring bubbles and then explored 5+ sector dead-ends and started exploring single-sector dead ends.

Right now I only have 120,000 and the script is burning through 16,000 a minute, so I have 7.5 minutes left? :)

It is crazy how fast this works! :)

Watching that reminded me of the Genesis torpedo from "The Wrath of Khan:"
Quote:
McCOY: We thought this was Genesis.
CAROL: This? It took the Starfleet Corps of Engineers ten months in space suits to tunnel out all this. What we did in there ...we did in a day.
It aborted when I ran low on fighters--not enough to take out a single sector's worth.

I checked SWATH and I had found 2 planets 3 sectors deep in a tunnel. The first one is called Work Item and it had 95,827 fighters.

I wasted 72,000 fighters, but I invaded the planet, with all 913 groups of colonists, but it has 254,539 fuel ore and 100,000 equipment.

That is the limit.

It is annoying, I don't know how many colonists can produce equipment on these planets.

I have 182,000 groups on one planet and it is still producing 1:1, but the planet maximum is 100,000!

It was created by someone named Mehga.

They never upgraded the port and the planet only has a level 2 citadel, but I wouldn't expect much with 913 groups of colonists.

The other planet is called The Cloud and is gaseous.

There is a beacon that says "Holespace."

Do you think that Farley missed this?

The game has been running for 824 days and at 457 units producing ore this would have needed 557 days.

What kind of growth rate is common?

All right, I am going again. With my entire life's savings I have 180,000 fighters after invading that planet.

I also took out 69,000 alien fighters that weren't guarding anything.

Then I needed to trade until I had 1M to run that script.

The script used up my fighters in 4 minutes!

Huh.

I'm in an escape pod! :D

It left a fighter somewhere, which I couldn't disable, did a density scan, and one sector had 1,252,210 density point units(?), a holographic scan, and then apparently said "Hold my beer!" when it saw 249,810 offensive fighters, 16 armid mines, and 6 planets with level 6 citadels.

It just says [pause]

What did I miss?!

The script then aborted when I only had 2 fighters.

That sector has 4 warps.

The daily log says that I was destroyed by a quasar cannon.

It one-shot 130k fighters?!

The game says "The Maximum number of Planets per sector: 5," but there were definitely six.

They don't collide until you have 7?

It's not a bubble. I can set a course to the other 3 warps.

Will I find 6 heavily-defended planets in each of those?

Fortunately, all of my cleaning left a clear path to FedSpace.

I encountered a Ferrengi!

I haven't seen any Ferrengi!

I bought a smaller ship--one that wouldn't last nearly as long mowing a grid, but it can land! :D

It has 235 holds, compared to the lover, not fighter I have with 255, so this will be a nice little ship until that script gets me blown up again.

How about I try the other one next? :D

Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post SWATH missed a bubble!
I tried exploring the other warps to that sector before trying Wildstar's script. The second and third warps were normal sectors, but there weren't any warps to or from the second one.

I only had that one sector warped.

Wildstar's script ran for a bit, but then it stalled when it couldn't warp to a sector.

I wondered if ZTM mode (if I knew what it was called I could look it up! :D) ignored avoids and then I realized that I only had one.

I set a course from the backside of the overloaded sector to the sector I couldn't access and there was one in-between.

So, it is a bubble or dead-end at least 3 warps deep.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:26 am
Ambassador

Grey Gamer wrote:
You need a Mentor!

Hop on Cruncher's Discord, and see if someone will join you in a corp and show you the ropes.

https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8

The ClassicTW Forum is pretty dead, so you are much morel ikely to get your questions answered on discord!

Last edited by Micro on Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Grey Gamer wrote:
So... those come with TWX? :)
Not exactly. I included 400+ public scripts in the Mega Installer. Strictly speaking, only Xide's Pack 1/2 come with TWX.

The Mega Installer also includes Mombot and Zedbot. Bots are collections of scripts that a corpie can run on your account (Sounds like Cheating to me, but when in Rome). You can also bot yourself. So to run a ZTM in Mombot, just type ">ZTM" and go drink a couple pots of coffee... I prefer "Pro-Ztm4" as it has a progress window, but they both get 99.999% of the warps. Swath get's about 50%.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I need a script that doesn't try to drop fighters in FedSpac
I ran the script and all of a sudden I had 10% fewer holds. I tried searching the log, but the script worked too quickly, but what else could have happened?
Micro wrote:
Grey Gamer wrote:
You need a Mentor!
I get that a lot! :D

A couple of weeks ago some Mormons knocked on our door and asked if I needed help with anything. I yelled "Suckers!" and laughed maniacally, but never called them.

Men never call when they say they will!

I need all kinds of help, but I don't know what I would do with 2 other people. My highest priorities are fixing my cars and fixing up the shed.

I could absolutely use one person's help, but I can't split them up and I don't want to have them standing around half the time because I can't keep them busy.

Honestly, in this particular case, I don't know if it is needing a mentor as much as a script that won't go full Leeroy Jenkins.

Never go full Leeroy Jenkins!
Quote:
Hop on Cruncher's Discord, and see if someone will join you in a corp and show you the ropes.

https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8

This forum is pretty dead, so you are much morel ikely to get your questions answered on discord!
There is a place where people discuss the game actively?! :)

All right. I sold all of the equipment on my planets.

Huh. I forgot about Workplace or whatever.

Oops.

Oh well. I maxed out this little ship with 125,000 fighters and put 14-15M in the citadel.

Pull the lever, Kronk! :D

The script used 125,000 fighters in less than 8 minutes. I used the rest of my money, somehow spent too much, and went to the one paired ports in the explored universe to get back up.

I guess that when it says fighters cost 194 credits it is more like 194.4, but I was off by far more than 29,000.

It used another 71k fighters in 4 minutes.

I have now explored almost 58% of the universe.

I guess that is about all that I can do for today.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:41 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: I need a script that doesn't try to drop fighters in Fed
Grey Gamer wrote:
A couple of weeks ago some Mormons knocked on our door and asked if I needed help with anything. I yelled "Suckers!" and laughed maniacally, but never called them.

That reply was a bit harsh, so I deleted it, but when people offer help. You should accept it!

Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

No, I said that I needed far too much help, but they always come in pairs, and I don't have any projects for 3 people, just 2.

When I finally finish these projects I may call them (or their replacements) and ask for help cleaning out the garage, but that isn't a priority.

The script ended again after encountering a Ferrengi--with 139 fighters, but I guess you want to appease them to keep the peace.

That Ferrengi took 10% of my holds, so the script probably didn't try to drop a fighter in FedSpace.

Some White Knight just created a character and a corporation and started trying to take out the grid the script created.

I rarely try to create a grid.

I definitely didn't want to this time.

I turned off notifications until I saw White Knight messing with my stuff.

I tried to chat with him, but he ignored me, so I sent him a message telling him about the server, the complete lack of ports (I have only found 24/163 ports and I have explored 61.9% of the universe), the fighters and mines everywhere, and the ridiculously-defended sector somewhere.

I figured out how to access CIM mode, but not how to use--or leave--it.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next