View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 TWGS v2.20 is available 
Site Admin

Unread post TWGS v2.20 is available
I just posted TWGS v2.20 at http://wiki.classictw.com/filearchive/apps/TWGS220.EXE

The main reason for this update is to fix a bug where moving a planet with another online player riding the planet will cause the player ship's sector to get out of synch with the player sector. There are other significant bug fixes as well, but I haven't posted the revision history yet. That's coming.

I also put some effort into optimizing the distribution, and I got it down to about 3.4 meg from 4.3 meg. The executables are also smaller because I've moved much of the shared code into DLLs. This should have some impact on memory use when running the games and Gold alien servers. There is still more I can do, so I'll keep working on optimizing the executable size.

Since this is a new distribution package that has better compression and uses a self-extractor, let me know if anyone experiences any issues installing this version.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: TWGS v2.20 is available
This application has failed to start because vcl40.bpl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

That didn't fix it either , and I tried repair ...

So now what ?

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I even tried to d/l the runtime lib, still no joy.... rolled back to 2.19

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Last edited by T0yman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Rolled back till Programmer is back.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The only thing I can think that might be going on here is that you installed into a directory that's different than the directory in the TWGS Root setting in the Config screen, Server tab, Root Directory field. It surprises me that we didn't have this problem with the TWGSGate.dll that I added several versions ago, though.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I installed over the exact same folder as I have used for the last 3 years. I installed on a Win7 and it worked fine. But my main TWGS server is WinXP Pro. I rolled back to 2.19 and it is working fine again.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

There's no reason why this shouldn't work. I think it's pretty common to run DLLs on WinXP ;)

Try copying the DLL from the TWGS root directory into the TWGS\Game subdirectory. There are programs in both directories that use it, but since TWGS loads it up, it should be available when TW2002 looks for it. But it's worth a try. It didn't make a difference for Vid, but I'd like to know if it does anything for you.

I suppose it could have something to do with running as a service, since you run yours as a service, I believe.

I've tested this on WinXP pro, WinXp 64 and Vista without any problems. Getting ready to test on Win 7.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I don't use the service mode since the computer is always turned on. I reload 2.19 and it works fine.. I will try one more time to verify but it has the same directory structure and files as my Win7 machine install.

EDIT: Ok I reinstalled again, and I moved the file into the c:\TWGS\Game folder and it is up and running on WinXP

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

This is a workaround, and I would like to figure out the reason behind this issue, but it might get this version running if you put VCL40.BPL into your Windows system directory. For whatever reason, TWGS and/or TW is failing to find the DLL, even though it's located in the same directory TWGS is running from. So putting it in a directory where all applications check for DLLs might get it going.

I also wonder if some OSs are bothered by the fact that it has the extension BPL rather than DLL. I'll do some searches on the net about that.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Ok, I was able to reproduce this on my Win7 install. I'm not sure what's causing it to do this one some but not on others. I installed this into C:\TWGS, which is what I used on the other installs where it worked fine. But TWGS loaded fine and NONPSERV, TW2002, TEDIT, etc, all failed with the error unable to find VCL40.BPL.

I was able to fix this by copying VCL40.BPL into the game directory so it's in both the TWGS root and TWGS\Game. Vid confirms that this fixed it for hims as well.

I'll fix this on TWGSv220 so that it copies VCL40.BPL to the game directory on install and that will clear it up. There will be no other changes to this update, so if you fix it with the workaround, no need to install the new one.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've fixed this. The update has been posted, but like I said, if you got it working already, no need to re-install.

Let me know if you find any other issues.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Good install after the fix.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]