View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Call for critical bugs 
Site Admin

Unread post Call for critical bugs
After a very long wait, I am finally in a position to release another update for TWGS and TW 2002. I've already addressed some of the major problems I am aware of, like the mail file corruption, and changed some functionality in response to requests, like moving several settings from local to global config. I will post a list of bug fixes and changes here as I commit them. But I would like to request a current list of serious bugs. The game has had a very long time for all major bugs to present themselves, so I should be able to build a final list of bug fixes and start nailing them down.

Of course, there are going to be some bugs that are not fixable with this codebase, as old and outdated as it is. And many of them are going to be directly related to high-speed scripting. I will not focus on these bugs. I intend to provide options that will allow gameops to throttle back the speed of scripts in the game, to avoid pushing the engine beyond its limits. At this time, I do intend to make these options in TEDIT, but they will likely be default settings. I need to push for the game to run with its most stable settings.

I know all of these bugs will have been reported here or to me directly at one time or another, but to avoid having to round up and sort through a long list of bugs, I'm asking for your help to identify only those critical bugs that need immediate attention. Once those are done, then we can start to consider less critical bugs with any time I have remaining.

Please post bugs as individual threads and not as a response to this thread. Where possible, please include step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the bug. If a script or macro is used, please paste it into the report, or email it to me. In some case, a TWA archive file might be helpful. I will request that on a case-by-case basis.

In general, the more data I have, the easier it will be for me to repro the bug and get it fixed. As you can imagine, it is extremely difficult to reproduce multiplayer bugs and bugs that occur during the heat of play on active servers.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: Call for critical bugs
I downloaded the update ...great...as in the previous version from time to time after finished playing, I tried to view the log and blink all was gone. I`m using xp and for now twgs is unregistered. I hope this helps.
thanx for your continued support of a classic game.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 am
Commander

Yup , seem that your limited on memory and can not handle the tons of logs loaded at one time like the few of us that can't afford to buy the best computers
the pentagon has.

Till its fixed , don't use that feature , if you do need to look them over , load them one at a time in a text editor , they are in each Game folder.

good luck and lets keep this game going another 20 yrs :)

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Last night I started working on a custom viewer that will handle up to 2 gig files without loading more than a single page into memory. The solution is sound, I just need to work out the kinks. It's coming soon, Vid!

Blame Microsoft. The standard memo and richedit classes provided by Win32 don't support large files. If it can't load everything into memory, you're out of luck :( So like so many other things, I'm stuck writing my own from scratch if I want it to work well.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

works great now no more dissappearing TWgs

thanks MHF

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 pm
Site Admin

I didn't even rewrite the system. I just pulled it out to a different process so it doesn't have to be multithreaded. 99% of the complexity is in the threading. And now even if it does crash, it won't touch TWGS.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

Are we planning on addressing these issues or is this your final version?

Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 am
Ambassador

rider2 wrote:
Are we planning on addressing these issues or is this your final version?

JP hasn't read this forum, or even logged in since Tue Jun 30, 2015, however I have spoken to him recently. At this time, JP does not have the ability to compile the Delphi 4 code that TWGS/TW2002 is written in, so i wouldn't hold my breath for any updates.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Bump!

JP found his Delphi 4 compiler and is once again asking for bugs.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Staff Sergeant

Not so much a bug report but a feature request - it'd be pretty nice to be able to edit ships to allow more than 16,000 max shields.

Actually there's a whole bunch of little things that'd be nice to improve. Things to help game balance, to help with long-running games, building games, etc. Things that might even bring in new players (!!). I wonder at this point if he'd be willing to accept help or even start thinking about opening things.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:06 am
Commander

Ripcord wrote:
Not so much a bug report but a feature request - it'd be pretty nice to be able to edit ships to allow more than 16,000 max shields.

Actually, there's a whole bunch of little things that'd be nice to improve. Things to help game balance, to help with long-running games, building games, etc. Things that might even bring in new players (!!). I wonder at this point if he'd be willing to accept help or even start thinking about opening things.

Many bug fixes are in the works and maybe the internal hooks to
BotLink opened so others can script new features within the range of the program.

Some of the feature requests can be done with the twx sysop scripts.
BotLink has a better way to do those PLUS many you just could not do withing Tedit via the scripts.

Short story, BotLink will revolutionize TWGS.
Stay tuned ;)

VidKid/CareTaker

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Sergeant

github we can help on?

-Zippy

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]