View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Glossary of Terminologies 
Captain

Unread post 
Well, I am sorry you feel that way, though I'm not going to argue with anybody about it, fore there is far too much work do be forth-hence completed. Thanks for the corrections though, I'll update those bad boys! However, I will note that if 1/2 as much effort was put into correcting the errors in the terms I have modified rather then writing posts telling me I should quit, it would surely and thoroughly been completed by now. Either way if I play or not, I would still need to bother other players for the how, what, when, where, and why involved in most processes as there are many facets involved in properly identifying them term or terms. Personally I prefer the think-tank type method as it is much more organized and unified.

Heh, but then again what do I know, as I am admittedly just a jackass. Oink, Oink, Baby!

Thu May 25, 2006 10:16 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Laff. Nobody's telling you to quit... just, play a bit more so you can experience these things first-hand. That way you can recognize when things are a bit hinky.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Really? Hinky? I always go with Wonky in those situations myself.

Rexx,
Which is more important? That it gets done right, with accurate information? Or that it gets done quickly and is riddled with misinformation?

Edit: Rexx, look. I get the feeling from your last post that you might feel that some of us may have pushed you away from this site. That we're treating you unfairly when you are just trying to do a service for the rest of us.

Get over it.

In the last 12 years, I have seen many projects like this come and go. I am a bit jaded now. I have helped with almost all of them, only to have them loose interest, or get frustrated by the lack of response from the community. So they all became big time sinks with little to show for it. Nobody has gotten as far as you have with a documentation project since...well, since me. And you are even getting decent feedback from the community. (it may be harsh, you may not like it, but it's feedback, and most of means well.) If you wish to continue, you will have to deal with much harsher opinions once you start to tackle tactics and strategy. I don't recall a single essay that I posted on my site that didn't have 10 people e-mail me and tell me I was full of it.

At the very least, please take my suggestion about how you make changes. It's really important that we know what was changed, so the entries you have so far can be checked.

Man, I gotta quit showing up here...next thing you know i'll get dragged back in.

Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by RexxCrow

[beige]Well, I am sorry you feel that way, though I'm not going to argue with anybody about it, fore there is far too much work do be forth-hence completed. Thanks for the corrections though, I'll update those bad boys! However, I will note that if 1/2 as much effort was put into correcting the errors in the terms I have modified rather then writing posts telling me I should quit, it would surely and thoroughly been completed by now. Either way if I play or not, I would still need to bother other players for the how, what, when, where, and why involved in most processes as there are many facets involved in properly identifying them term or terms. Personally I prefer the think-tank type method as it is much more organized and unified.

There have been a couple smartass posts directed against you here by the usual "me too" gob_shi--t_es. Disregard those, they were few and far between.

Most of us welcome your project.

The think-tank method works if all are more or less on the same page, knowledge/information wise. Little to do with innate intelligence.

Contrary to what you posted, it would take far less information exchange were you to play more, get trashed and ask questions about how to play, than to ask us to suggest corrections. Traitor wrote it more succinctly than I.

Fri May 26, 2006 2:12 am
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
I would concur. You could think this game to death but never learn to play it. Thus is the beauty of TWs. Knowledge without experience is fallacy.

Fri May 26, 2006 4:19 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Captain

Unread post 
Naw, I am just poking fun... at myself, ya know mixing it up. But, whatever it is you happen to be working on or how you are working on it, some will be happy, while others will not be. So you can either stop and then those that were not happy will be happy and those that were happy will no longer be happy. Either way your viewed as a looser, but unless you quit, at least you are a working looser! hehe [:D]

Fri May 26, 2006 7:02 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Captain

Unread post 
Ok, I just did some experimenting with Midnight and Extern to see how it effected SD'ed players and as far as I have been able to determine an SD'ed player stayed SD'ed until Extern occurs, the player can login whenever they want (before and after Midnight), but they only come upon a you message advising them that so and so destroyed their ship they have to wait 1 day to log back in and then they are kicked out. So I am going to remove that entire first reference to:

"1 – All SD’ed players from the previous day recover in sector-1 once they log back on, although there are not yet placed into a new Ship and permitted to play until the games Extern has taken place."

Unless I am missing something?

Fri May 26, 2006 9:15 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Captain

Unread post 
Also is A/The Major the same as The Big Game and are these/is this an annual game were players just battle it out as fast as possible? I could not really find any references for either of them.

Also I can't seem to find any references for: Planet Mixes.

Fri May 26, 2006 10:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Rexx, I think you're missing the spirit of Traitor's post if you're searching for a reference to a 'Major.' I think 'Major' really means a large game with many skilled players on corps. Most boards have a few L33t, experienced players, so you learn a bit from playing against them. In a Major, there are more experienced playing, so the chances of learning a new trick/tactic increases, either from a corpmate, or getting popped in grand spectacular fashion you've never seen before...

Fri May 26, 2006 12:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Captain

Unread post 
LOL, ok that makes even more sense. Thanks Crosby

Fri May 26, 2006 1:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Marjors are BOTE, USO, etc... The games that draw even the retiree's out to play.

On another note, yes, you are missing something. Extern and Midnight are two different things that sometimes are run at the same time. If you run extern before midnight, you often get undesireable results. Alien Base ran it's extern at 9PM PST, but still had midnight happen at 12AM PST. This caused many people pod issues. Which I totally capialized on! heh.

Now, in an effort to illustrate things:

Computer command [TL=23:56:40]:[6084] (?=Help)? T

09:05:59 AM Sat May 26, 2018

Computer command [TL=23:56:27]:[6084] (?=Help)? B

¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦ ARE YOU SURE CAPTAIN? (Y/N) [N] Yes

Your Camarilla has been destroyed!

Enter your choice: T

Show today's log? (Y/N) [N] Yes
Include time/date stamp? (Y/N) [N] No

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Trade Wars 2002 ver 3.13 MBBS Gold -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
enemy self-destructed!
[Pause]
Initializing...

Hello Enemy, welcome to:

Trade Wars 2002 ver 3.13 MBBS Gold

(C) Copyright 1986 John Pritchett. All rights reserved.
Brought to you by EIS
Written by Gary Martin, Mary Ann Martin and John Pritchett

For Trade Wars support, visit EIS on the Net!

Web: http://www.tradewars.com
http://www.eisonline.com
Email: jpritch@eisonline.com

This copy of TW2002 is Registered to Coonpanion Maine Coons http://www.coonpanion.com
and is being brought to you courtesy of
[Pause]

Who's Playing

The Men In Black are on the move!

[Pause]

You destroyed your own ship!
You must wait for 1 day(s) to get back in.
[Pause]

==-- Trade Wars 2002 --==

T - Play Trade Wars 2002
I - Introduction & Help
S - View Game Settings
H - High scores
A - View Announcement
X - Exit

Include time/date stamp? (Y/N) [N] Yes

-- 05/26/18 -- 09:06:22 AM --
enemy self-destructed!
-- 05/26/18 -- 09:08:57 AM --
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Daily Journal S.D. 05/26/18 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
An unstable planetary mass was detected in sector 639
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= End Daily Journal =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Initializing...

Hello Enemy, welcome to:

Brought to you by EIS

This copy of TW2002 is Registered to Coonpanion Maine Coons http://www.coonpanion.com
[Pause]

Who's Playing

[Pause]

You destroyed your own ship!
You must wait for 1 day(s) to get back in.
[Pause]

Include time/date stamp? (Y/N) [N] No

No log entries today.
[Pause]

Initializing...

Hello enemy, welcome to:

Brought to you by EIS

[Pause]

Who's Playing

[Pause]

Searching for messages received since your last time on:
No messages received.
[Pause]

<Scanning for Hazardous Sectors you have marked to Avoid>

No Sectors are currently being avoided.

You managed to destroy your ship your last time on.

Your ship is being initialized.

You must now christen your new Yokotosaki Malefactor
Choose a name carefully as you will have it for a while!

What do you want to name your ship? (30 letters)

. is what you want? Yes
You are being moved to sector 1

Sector : 1 in The Federation (unexplored).
Beacon : FedSpace, FedLaw Enforced
Ports : Sol, Class 0 (Special)
Planets : (M) Terra
Warps to Sector(s) : 2 - (3) - (4) - (5) - (6) - (7)

Command [TL=23:54:11]:[1] (?=Help)? : C
<Computer>

<Computer activated>

Computer command [TL=23:58:57]:[1] (?=Help)? T

00:10:56 AM Sun May 27, 2018

Computer command [TL=23:58:57]:[1] (?=Help)? Q

<Computer deactivated>

Command [TL=23:58:56]:[1] (?=Help)? :

See? That should clear it up!

Man, I gotta quit showing up here...next thing you know i'll get dragged back in.

Fri May 26, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Planet mixes is sort of obsolete. In the old days, with stock settings, you would usually want an L or two folowed by some H's.

So a typical sector would have the following:
(L)
(L)
(H)
(H)
(H) or (O)
The L's were there cause they got cannons, mobiity, and shields sooner than the H's, but the H's packed a bigger punch. The mix was finding the right balance. The optional O was there for organics sell offs. It quickly became apparent that selling org is a waste of time/turns, and the O was dropped in favor of an additional H. Selling fuel made almost as much money (particularly at -80 or better ports). However, soon selling fuel was out, since it's almost always needed for offense/defense.

Now days, there is no clear cut guide, as the various game edits are now what dictate your planet mix. As a rule of thumb, I try to make several random sectors with the fastest to mobile planet in each. If an survive I trim them down to a single mobile. I'd rather have one mobile planet with 1 million figs on it, than 5 planets with 200k figs on each. I rely on capturing enemy planets to suppliment my single mobile with extra cannons. The key to that strategy is to be VERY aggressive. There are some who think I'm crazy and want to start with 5 cannons in their sector. To each their own. I say either never let them get mobiles, or if they do, steal them.

Fri May 26, 2006 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

Unread post 
Aww, crap I said Extern I meant Midnight. Ok, instead I have changed it to:

"1 – All SD’ed players from the previous day recover in sector-1 in a new player Ship once they log back on, (NOTE – A players Daily Pod Loss Count does not reset until Extern has occurred.)"

Kewl! Thanks again, Traitor. I also added as the last function that the Daily Logs are cleared, pretty nifty eh! [;)]

Fri May 26, 2006 11:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5