View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Glossary (M) 
Captain

Unread post Glossary (M)
Macro
Macros are a grouping of commands that are entered all at once and send as one packet or a series of consecutive packets that gets sent to the TWGS for simultaneous execution on the server end. Most Helpers support macros, although performing a Windows type cut and paste works too. The advantage of Macros is that all of the commands arrive at the same time at the server, so they are processed very quickly, often before your opponents can react to them. Also referred to as: Bursting.

Mafia
When talking to the grimy trader, if you say MAFIA...He will sell you the password to the underground. See 'Underground' for a more detailed description.

Major
A Major refers to an annual tournament game (such as: BOTE, USO, WTC, etc.) in-which many of the most experienced and skilled players known in TradeWars compete with novice players. Majors are considered to be good games for all players alike to play together and gain additional experience and knowledge, as well as comprehending and learning new tactics and tricks.

M.A.I.L.
An acronym for: Mutual Anachronous Interchange Log, which serves as the games internal messaging system.

Mapping
Refers to the combined tactic of EtherProbing and Manual-Warp exploring to gain StarPort and Sectorial knowledge.

MBBS Mode
In this mode, Multi-node Bulletin Board Systems (MBBS) emulates the High Volume Software (HVS) release of TW for the Worldgroup/MBBS systems. MBBS Mode changes some of the basic settings of the, these settings are strictly enforced; SysOps or GameOps are unable to alter these settings when MBBS mode is enabled. MBBS Mode is a separate setting from Gold Mode and maybe either enabled or disabled in conjunction with Gold Mode. Both MBBS Mode and Gold Mode may only be changed during the games initial Bang. The changes effected by MBBS Mode are as follows:

The Evil Stealing Factor is set to 70% and the Evil Robbing Factor is set to 50%.
Busts clear daily, rather then weekly.
Planetary Trade Percent is set to 100% instead of 60%.
Max Port Production is set to 32,760 units instead of 65,530 units.
Mega-robbing is permitted, unintentionally through the HVS v2 BUG.
Combat Alignment penalties are handled via a more lenient formula as comparable to Gold Mode.

MCIC
This is an acronym for: Maximum Change In Cost, this refers to the change that occurs in a Ports prices as the quantity of a Ports products increases or decreases. MCIC values vary at each individual Port, ranging from high to low using positive numbers for selling products and negative numbers for buying products. Selling: Fuel Ore (FO): 90/40; Organics (OR): 75/30; Equipment (EQ): 65/20. Buying: Fuel Ore (FO): -90/-40; Organics (OR): -75/-30; and Equipment (EQ): -65/-20. The higher the number is for both positive and negative, dictates how profitable the Port is to be during each trade, i.e. when making a purchase a 40 MCIC will generate more profit then a 35 MCIC, as a –55 MCIC will generate more profit then a –50 MCIC when selling a product. MCIC is determined using a complex formula, which is best performed by a Script or Helper Program.

Mega-Corp
This refers to two individual corporations whom work together for a common cause or benefit.

Mega-Rob
This can be performed only in MBBS Mode games. This is a Red tactic, which involves them attempting to rob 3.3 million to 6.6 million from a port that has been setup using a Reverse Haggle Buy-dump. For the Mega-Rob attempt to be successful the player needs approximately 4.5 million Credits and the StarPort has to have the minimum required Credits on it, (this is usually ensured by Buy-dumping Products from the Port using a Reverse Haggle method until the Port has been completely drained.) There is about a 1 in 50 percent chance of Busting while performing a Mega-Rob. There are three working formulas for determining how much may be successfully Mega-Robbed is: (The Ports On-hand Credits + (The Ports On-hand Credits * 11-percent)), or (The Ports On-hand Credits * 1.11), or more accurately (The Ports On-hand Credits / .9). These formulas work do to the Port only displaying 90-percent of its actual acquired Credits. Also referred to as: MR.

Merf or Furb
This refers to a: Merchant Freighter Ship.

Midnight
This refers to the sequence of events that are initiated daily when the game servers clock literally reaches the middle of the night, i.e. 00:00:00. This is a separate function from Extern, at Midnight the following functions are performed:

1 – All SD’ed players from the previous day recover in sector-1 in a new player Ship once they log back on, (NOTE – A players daily PLC does not reset until Extern has occurred.)
2 – The prices of Fighters, Holds, and Shields prices are adjusted on all Class 0 ports and at the StarDock, (NOTE – Hold prices are additionally adjusted throughout the day on the hour.)
3 – The games duration increases by one day.
4 – Players are eligible to receive an additional point of experience and point of alignment, once they log on for the new game day.
5 – The planetary construction on all citadels advances by one day.
6 – The Underground, located on the StarDock has its daily incorrect password penalty reset.
7 – The Daily Logs are cleared.

Mixed-Corp
Refers to a corporation that contains both Blue and Red players. This results in both additional benefits and penalties for the corporation.

Mobil
This refers to a Level-4 or higher planet, which is capable of P-Warping to different sectors.

Mode
This refers to the available Modes of the game (Gold MBBS, MBBS, or Classic), each Mode permits different settings and configurations within the game, some of which are adjustable by the SysOp or GameOp. Depending on the mode certain settings are not allowed by the game to be altered or modified, as changing the settings in an active game may result in certain players retaining bonuses from the previous settings or suffering penalties from the resulting changes.

Money
This refers to Credits, the most generally accepted form of payment throughout the universe. Also referred to as Cash.

Mothing
Refers to a tactic is used to drain a planets Fuel Ore supply during an invasion. This tactic uses low-cost ships to empty a planet’s Quasar Cannons. Mothing is an only effective if the Q-cannons have been set too high of a percentage. Also referred to as: Cannon Suppression.

MSL
This is an acronym for: Major Space Lanes. MSL’s refer to the sectors that are adjacent to one another (both to and from) linking the StarDock and the three Class 0 Ports: Alpha Centauri, Rylos, and Terra. In the Non-FedSpace areas of the MSL’s you are permitted to place fighters, mines, and planets; although the MSL’s are cleared at Extern; similar to that as FedSpace. Planets left in the MSL’s will be reduced to Level-2 planets, if they are equipped with a Level-3 or greater Citadel. MSL's are generally described as somewhat of a triangular pendulum in their outlining shape, although in actuality the shaping of the MSL’s depends upon their relative positioning within their given universe; as determined by the Random Seed or manually altered by the SysOp or GameOp.

MUD
An acronym for Multi-User Domain, which is a multi-player computer game that enables players to play a game online while socializing through in included instant messaging system or chat room.

Mudder
Refers to a person that both enjoys and frequently plays MUD type games.

Multi-Corp
This is similar to a Mega-Corp, although involves a combination of three or more corporations working together for a common cause or benefit.

Mwarp
An acronym for: Manual Warping, which refers to the process of moving a ship from one sector to the next adjacent sector without the assistance of the vessels Warp Drive. Manual Warping imposes a ship movement delay per sector moved and costs the user TPW per sector moved. Also referred to as: Auto Pilot, Express Warping, Move Warping, Single Stepping.

Last edited by Crosby on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breivity.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Sergeant

Unread post Re: Glossary (M)
Just curious, but could you tell me what a mombot is and what it does?

-otacon

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:29 am
Profile YIM
Ambassador

otacon4wvu wrote:

-otacon

A script used to control other players in a corp to do certain things - a bot; however it can also be used by a solo player and use the scripts. It can be downloaded from grimytrader.com. It was written originally by Mind Dagger (and someone else maybe) and tested by members of Mind Over Matter, M()M, I believe. Development has been taken over by LoneStar.

Two other bots are also out, Oz's and possibly Parrothead's.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:37 am
Profile ICQ
Sergeant

thanks for the info.

-otacon

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 am
Profile YIM
Lieutenant Commander

hmmm.. we could make a more informative entry for MAFIA, eh? I mean, when talking to the grimy trader, if you say MAFIA...He will sell you the password to the underground. This is helpful.
Saying it refers to a 'group' in the underground.. sounds like an entry from someone who's only played the game once back in the 80's ..

I actually found the entry for mafia while trying to research mcic. In the definition of mcic, the term is explained briefly..but wouldn't the 'complex formula' be helpful to those writing their own scripts???

Seems like this is still a work in progress, several years later...

Edit
Fixed...years later. I took out the arcane reference to a shadowy group living in the underground.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Crosby wrote:
hmmm.. we could make a more informative entry for MAFIA, eh? I mean, when talking to the grimy trader, if you say MAFIA...He will sell you the password to the underground. This is helpful.
Saying it refers to a 'group' in the underground.. sounds like an entry from someone who's only played the game once back in the 80's ..

I actually found the entry for mafia while trying to research mcic. In the definition of mcic, the term is explained briefly..but wouldn't the 'complex formula' be helpful to those writing their own scripts???

Seems like this is still a work in progress, several years later...

Have you, as the entry for MAFIA suggests, checked the entry under U: UnderGround ??

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17465

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Lieutenant Commander

ok, Underground has a little better definition, would probably be less confusing just to say; 'See Underground'
Am I being nitpicky? sure, but this IS an attempt at a tradewars glossary, on the eis website, shouldn't it be painfully accurate? Ideally with screenshots and such..

All for the definition of mcic.. which is exaustively covered at:
http://tw-cabal.navhaz.com/strategy/economy2.html

I think ideally the glossary should be set up like wiki...so it's continually improving.

Last edited by Crosby on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Well... I guess I could install a wiki. Would ppl contribute?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

I would contribute. I should have mentioned that the bulk of the glossary is very nicely done, and I don't mean to take anything away from the work of Rexx or Traitor. My initial post is pretty tactless, looking back on it, yet reflects my frustration nicely.

The problem of the current format is replies under the Definitions get lost/missed. Any editing needs to be done currently by Rexx, which I'm sure he wouldn't mind initially, yet would be a drag after a while.
Also, currently having all definitions under one post makes it awkward for inserting new terms or cleaning others.

For the most part, a wiki could use the current glossary as a base, and refine from there....

At least then we could endlessly debate the grey areas and keep the black and white stuff, eh?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

I think that any posts by Rexx Crow have at least as much mis-information as truth. If you create a wiki, leave his work out.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

I think alot of poeple would contribute, well the few that still play. I agree it would have to be regulated some how. I dont think one person should do everything, maybe a very small group. Say 3 max. Anyway. my .01

HHT 2020

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Quote:
I think that any posts by Rexx Crow have at least as much mis-information as truth. If you create a wiki, leave his work out.

Thing about a wiki is that anyone can contribute, and anyone can edit. So it'd be up to the community to ensure the stuff is accurate.

Otherwise you're just talking about a CMS project.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Promethius wrote:
otacon4wvu wrote:

-otacon

A script used to control other players in a corp to do certain things - a bot; however it can also be used by a solo player and use the scripts. It can be downloaded from grimytrader.com. It was written originally by Mind Dagger (and someone else maybe) and tested by members of Mind Over Matter, M()M, I believe. Development has been taken over by LoneStar.

There is another powerful bot out that you did not mention and that is revbot...but it works using zoc as the host/helper rather than swath. It has been recently upgraded to work with newer versions of zoc.

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Father Cajone wrote:
Promethius wrote:
otacon4wvu wrote:

-otacon

There is another powerful bot out that you did not mention and that is revbot...but it works using zoc as the host/helper rather than swath. It has been recently upgraded to work with newer versions of zoc.

K Bot

Wed May 19, 2010 7:32 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]