View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 -- ridiculousNess -- photons vs exit/enter 
Veteran Op

Unread post -- ridiculousNess -- photons vs exit/enter
not really a bug.. but I would guess a piece of software that needs to be changed.

Photons in V2. --- ridiculous ---

I have a Great ping on micros server.

When the enemy or even a corpie (who doesnt have as good of a ping as me)
can photon me from a planet when I am doing a simple burst of -- enter sector, retreat or enter sector then right back out -- something is wrong.

Every photon fired results in a hit.

In Unlimited turns this is VERY VERY annoying.. how would a turn game even be playable? You lose all your turns every time you hit a limp or a fig or a mine??

Next.. exit/enter delay --- ridiculous ---

this has been talked about before... still no changes.

AT Least.. there should be a toggle or something to change these delays.

Maybe there is.. if so.. how?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:47 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post Re: -- ridiculousNess -- photons vs exit/enter
Muss wrote:
there should be a toggle or something to change these delays.

Only Toggle I know of is: Don't play on Version 2.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Muss wrote:
not really a bug.. but I would guess a piece of software that needs to be changed.

Photons in V2. --- ridiculous ---

I have a Great ping on micros server.

When the enemy or even a corpie (who doesnt have as good of a ping as me)
can photon me from a planet when I am doing a simple burst of -- enter sector, retreat or enter sector then right back out -- something is wrong.

Every photon fired results in a hit.

In Unlimited turns this is VERY VERY annoying.. how would a turn game even be playable? You lose all your turns every time you hit a limp or a fig or a mine??

Next.. exit/enter delay --- ridiculous ---

this has been talked about before... still no changes.

AT Least.. there should be a toggle or something to change these delays.

Maybe there is.. if so.. how?

I forget all the info on the exit/enter but I know the change was implemented that when you exit it the game it completely closes the database and then reopens it when you re-enter. So yea there is a 500~1000ms delay I had timed it at one time but I deleted all my notes when I quit playing. There is a delay that can be put in for firing a foton, plus if the server is reduced from 250ms per move to 150ms or lower I think that puts it back to where it was. I have ran my server as low as 70ms for moving with 0 data corruption. See if the Sysop can setup a practice game and test those options I think you will see it puts it back to more like v1 than the current setting. Hope this helps.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

it seems the delay is pretty close to 1000ms for the exit/enter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

T0yman wrote:
There is a delay that can be put in for firing a foton, plus if the server is reduced from 250ms per move to 150ms or lower I think that puts it back to where it was. I have ran my server as low as 70ms for moving with 0 data corruption. See if the Sysop can setup a practice game and test those options I think you will see it puts it back to more like v1 than the current setting. Hope this helps.

what do you mean "that puts it back to where it was" ??

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Muss wrote:
T0yman wrote:
There is a delay that can be put in for firing a foton, plus if the server is reduced from 250ms per move to 150ms or lower I think that puts it back to where it was. I have ran my server as low as 70ms for moving with 0 data corruption. See if the Sysop can setup a practice game and test those options I think you will see it puts it back to more like v1 than the current setting. Hope this helps.

what do you mean "that puts it back to where it was" ??

All the timing that I had tested before the default move was closer to 150ms than 250ms. I have seen what you're talking about and I had done all the testing at one time, but that was about 2 year ago. Most Sysops don't get in the settings and since mt server was for the most part just testing I had ran all kinds of numbers to see what felt closer to v1 and used those settings.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

ahh.. ty

still seeing more and more weird stuff with this version.

photon crazyness
exit/enter delay

We can plock a sector, player will hit, lock will fire and we can power up and hit the person at least 4 times and they are still able to warp out of sector when planet (and ship) has an IG (this was tested on test server also).
needless to say.. ship should not be able to leave sector if we have enough time to power up twice, reland, get figs, lift and power up 2 more times before their ship leaves

timings (and other things) are obviously messed up

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

There is also an IG delay, default is 0, but have the sysop check the setting. I have noticed that the settings after a bang do not match the defaults and I have to set them manually

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]