View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Terra and Hardware Imporium ANSI rendering 
Civilian

Unread post Terra and Hardware Imporium ANSI rendering
All,

For as long as I can remember playing this game there are two ANSI screens that, when rendered, have a subtle "missing" character. The two examples are when landing
on Terra (the blue outline is short by 1 character on one line of display) and when entering the Hardware Emporium (the robot and the red box are missing a character and causes the a line to shift in "left-wards")...

Has anyone noticed this as I have found the ASCII character that gives grief: it is a tiny circle with spikes around it. To over come this on my server (which I passed along to Sir John), I modified the LANDEART.ANS & EMPOROP.ANS with a more recognized, applicable ASCII character.

I wish the ability to show a screen shot of what I am speaking of, but I am curious if any one knows as to what I am talking about. This goes back as far as BBS days, etc.

Thanks!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:59 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: Terra and Hardware Imporium ANSI rendering
Normally I turn ansi off , but just to see what you are talking about
I tried it with it on.

Using Swath in the v2.20b , both of those areas I see no mis-aliengment
in either of the 2 areas you mentioned.

How were you looking at these ?
I mean telnet ?
and what version of twgs were you testing on ?

Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Do these screenshots show the effect you're describing? These are from TWGS 2.19.

What client are you using?

Attachments:
terra.png
terra.png [ 22.37 KiB | Viewed 12127 times ]
hardware.png
hardware.png [ 21.09 KiB | Viewed 12127 times ]

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Are you talking about the character in the robot's belt, and on the right side of the space scene?

ASCII is weird. Characters below 32 (space) can either be rendered as glyphs or interpreted as control characters, depending on the context. And the context can be a little vague. It sounds like your client is interpreting that character as a control instead of displaying it as a glyph, and thus shifting the rest of the line one space to the left. Correct?

If that's what you're seeing, and it really bothers you, I suggest finding a better client.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Civilian

[quote="Mongoose"]Ah, I think I see what you mean. Are you talking about the character in the robot's belt, and on the right side of the space scene?

ASCII is weird. Characters below 32 (space) can either be rendered as glyphs or interpreted as control characters, depending on the context. And the context can be a little vague. It sounds like your client is interpreting that character as a control instead of displaying it as a glyph, and thus shifting the rest of the line one space to the left. Correct?

If that's what you're seeing, and it really bothers you, I suggest finding a better client.[/quote]

Sorry for the delay, but yup! That was the issue : the glyph. I've seen in from back in the day: 2400 baud, 9600, 14.4, X Modem, Y Modem, Z Modem, etc. To the modern days, I am using telnet from Windows (Zoc on Mac), so indeed... the problem seems to be with... me!

Thanks for the feedback, though! I appreciate it as on my TWGS server, I changed the glyphs with Aciddraw to something similar, yet supported for convenience (forgive my blasphemy)!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 am
Site Admin

I never noticed this before, but the issue shows up with standard Microsoft telnet. I didn't see it with any other client I tested.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

That is an easy fix for any sysop to do if they have a good Ansi art program to work with, I suggest PabloDraw, it runs in windows mode and I think on other os modes too, and not in dos. It is a very small and powerful tool to look at the game ansi graphics and fix them with, I use it to make my ansi logon pages.

I never really looked at that issue in the windows telnet cause I used Swath and TWX Proxy on my connections, when I checked on a friends server I saw it that way on Windows telnet. So I can see why that would bug ya.

Working on getting my TWGS up soon, thanks JP for the new update to the TWGS, just got it, soon as the machine I am working on is done, I will put the TWGS on it.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Site Admin

I've replaced the troublesome character with an asterisk, which is very similar. I think it retains the overall look, but will display correctly on more telnet clients.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]