View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 I guess that I am back, trying to write a grid\mowing script 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Do defensive odds matter against mines, NavHaz, and quasars?
Apparently the forums didn't want to post this:

In my other game I figured out how hard Z's cannons should hit me with my defensive odds, but it didn't matter.

When I bought my big and fancy ship, which presumably exploded nicely, mines did just as much damage as this version of a Merchant Cruiser.

I found Pro_ZTM4 in my scripts folder and it ran directly, so I have been watching the most boring thing on my computer in a very long time.

I probably should have queued up YouTube before I started eating Mom's messy dinner.

I couldn't keep my hands clean, which is why I didn't load YouTube.

ProZ started getting unplottable sectors, so I canceled to check my avoids.

None!

According to SWATH there are 7 sectors behind the one with 6 level 6 citadels.

Funny. It sure seems that SWATH shows more bubbles now.

After I restarted that some Red Prawn showed up and joined Chess Masters.

Are they trying to be funny?

There aren't red chess pieces!

They outnumber me! :D

It keeps saying that it is waiting for the receiver script to fire.

How badly do I need that? :D

Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I forgot to reset avoids after running ZTM and blew up!
Fifteen seconds into mow and chill the script dove headlong into that heavily-defended sector and 122,672 fighters, my ship, and 6,000 shields turned into 1% NavHaz.

I was doing paperwork. I missed whatever happened. The log went from "Done. You have 122,672 fighter(s) in close support" to "Done. You have 2 fighter(s) in close support."

Why doesn't it tell me what happened?!

I almost feel like buying a cheap ship just to see what the game tells me when I get evaporated.

Those guys blew up pretty quickly and then started claiming the planets I was in the process of blowing up in FedSpace right after reset, so I blew up some more.

They had some stuff on it.

I had meant to pick up as many colonists off Earth as I could, but the game was down for most of the day, and then I was focused on planetary trading and mowing.

Is it expected or unexpected for me to blow up my planets?

I feel like if they didn't dislike me already they do now

Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:55 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Mowing the grid unleashes the Ferrengi
You cannot beat any alien, right? They just return bigger and stronger, right?

Someone posted on reddit that if you put a planet with a level 2 citadel next to Ferrengal when it fires they will flee back to their sector.

I guess that I will do that when I finally found it--I have explored 76% of the universe.

Can I do anything about the bubble guarded by 6 level 6 planets in a 5-planet sector?

I figure that I would need to moth 500 times just to survive the cannons.

Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:00 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I found over 3M fighters that aren't guarding anything.
Fortunately, the script didn't try to enter the sector. I avoided it, set a course around it, and there were just a normal amount of fighters and mines.

Odd

Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:53 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: I guess that I am back, trying to write a grid\mowing sc
Where are you playing?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Civilian

Hey Grey Gamer......I'd recommend joining the discord. It's highly likely anyone that can help is on discord like myself. Check out the community.

https://discord.gg/5S8WTwgQ - M()M Bot Channel
https://discord.gg/DyTqABEX - Cruncher's Channel
https://discord.gg/dpt7w72D - Microblaster Channel
https://discord.gg/XuSEjram - Sultan Bey's Channel.....I think

This forum is dead, join up on discord. Good Luck.

-Tex

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:53 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I explored the available universe and a chump captured my sh
He just happened to pop up and hit me with the exact number of fighters?

What are the odds of that?!

It looks like these guys run scripts 24/7, but they made the news by putting 6 planets in a sector. I wouldn't have sought them out if they didn't advertise their location.

I took everything from their planets 2 days ago and some of the ports they started building haven't progressed, so I wondered if they were AFK this whole time.

Only if their script includes a good capture subroutine!

I am at my sister's house and their wifi went down, so I am using my hotspot. Sometimes the game freezes for a while and comes back.

Sometimes I end the script, try to take over, and lose my connection.

I finally got so close with the scout that I finished manually. Then, wondering what they were doing 24/7 I checked out the blocked ports.

Ferrengi.

I never found their homeworld.

The last blocked port was right by these chump's bubble and I was low on fighters after all of that mowing.

You would really think the game would say "Red Prawn captured your ship!" but I swear that suddenly I was in a different sector without any idea why.

Then I hit "I," saw that I was in an escape pod, and tried to rush home.

I had more than enough credits to buy another ship, but I don't have enough credits--or equipment--to fully outfit it.

I wanted to take their planets before they have level 3 citadels, but I guess that I needed to use my fighters on current players, not the mess that other players left behind.

Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:08 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post White Knight went CBY, but came back to haunt me.
Have you ever self-destructed?

Why?

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 am
Ambassador

Unread post Re: White Knight went CBY, but came back to haunt me.
Grey Gamer wrote:
Have you ever self-destructed?

Why?
It is a common tactic to make you fedsafe again.
..or he did it on accident.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:09 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

He has been sitting in sector 1 since reset, probably waiting for a full load of colonists.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:46 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post I guess that I am quitting again.
Four players ganged up against me, ran scripts 24/7, took most of my planets, blew up most of the remaining ports in the game and StarDock, and destroyed my ship.

You guys take care.

Edit. The game really needs to mention when you are attacked.

Bye.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:52 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Four players ganged up against me, ran scripts 24/7, took most of my planets, blew up most of the remaining ports in the game and StarDock, and destroyed my ship.

Ahh, finally got the topic back to scripting. Several important points:
1- You stating that they run scripts 24/7 implies you don't why?
2- Always plan for four dudes coming by to take your stuff. <-Not scripting, more, game philosophy
3- If four dudes want your stuff, unless you have three friends,
-- they're getting your stuff. <--life advice here.
4- 'took most of my planets' really implies you still have some stuff?

I guess we'll see ya 'round.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:49 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

I kept asking what they were doing and nobody made any suggestions. I am sure you only need a few ports if you play red, but there were only a few pairs.
Once I did my planetary trading and got whatever colonists were left behind I logged out.

With 163 ports spread out among 20,000 sectors I didn't have any idea what to do once I mowed the grid. World Trade still didn't accomplish anything.

There were still thousands and thousands of mines.

I kept asking for help and apparently all that I got was Tex saying "People are ganging up against this guy?! The more the merrier!"

I was planetarily trading with my best planet when they took the rest. I parked it somewhere and went to blow up their ports and planets, but with StarDock destroyed, and one of them waiting for me, it was over.

I don't have friends. Not in real life, not in World of Warcraft, and not in TradeWars. If I need help in WoW either I figure out how to solo it or I give up. The same thing with my endless real-life projects. I always read how I need a helper or two, but I end up doing it myself.

I don't get help even when I ask for it.

When I get stuck I ask for help on reddit or Imgur and just get downvoted and people telling me either to pay a professional or get rid of my car and buy a new Fiat.

I have been trying to track down a bad transmission leak in my 1999 Accord for months. I asked two mechanics to look at it and both said they didn't find anything, but when I lent it to a friend it came back 3 quarts low on oil and 3.5 quarts low on transmission fluid.

We're not friends anymore.

The only friends I find are ones wanting me to do stuff for them.

The valve cover gasket has been seeping for a few years--or I never cleaned the oil after replacing the gasket 5 years ago.

Hmm...

Anyway, that was cheap and fast.

My oil pan was covered with oil, but I didn't see any above. I used dye and only the pan glowed.

I didn't find a transmission leak, which was when I took it to the second mechanic.

Paint had worn off inside the pan and it started rusting, so I used a brass brush on the mating surface, a wire wheel on the inside of the pan, and have been trying to remove the last bits in the corners, but after losing everything in TW last night I spent several hours taking Mom to the E.R.

I was supposed to see 4 clients an hour away today, but I needed to cancel.

Hopefully I can finally remove the last bits of paint in the corners, sand down the marks from the brass rush on the mating surface, clean off the bottom of the block, install the new gasket, and then take the car for a drive, warm up the transmission fluid, and once and for all track down that leak.

Then I need to replace the heater core in one Civic, the head gasket in another, and bend the radiator core support some more in the Camry I bought to replace the Accord.

Unfortunately, 7 months after I bought the car, having mostly driven the Accord, I drove the Camry while I fixed something on the Accord, and someone turned left in front of me, totaling my car, but $200 in parts from a junkyard (4 hours away), a winch, and a tree helped me get a restored salvage title.

I also moved our shed twice, fixed several things, installed insulation in the walls, ceiling, and floor, and started installing drywall.

I really need to finish the drywall, run power, and install HVAC!

I didn't have much time for a game.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:15 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: I guess that I am quitting again.
Grey Gamer wrote:
You forgot to mention this:

This was posted by Tex in Cruncher's discord. So it looks like it was 30+ players against 4?

Did you really create all those dupes?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:12 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Crosby wrote:
Ahh, finally got the topic back to scripting. Several important points:
1- You stating that they run scripts 24/7 implies you don't why?
2- Always plan for four dudes coming by to take your stuff. <-Not scripting, more, game philosophy
3- If four dudes want your stuff, unless you have three friends,
-- they're getting your stuff. <--life advice here.
4- 'took most of my planets' really implies you still have some stuff?

I guess we'll see ya 'round.

Good Points Crosby!

1. EVERYONE runs scripts 24/7 unless there is a time limit on the game.

Scripts can colo and cash while you are AFK.

If you log out, they your oponnants can relax and know they can attack your stuff without you defending it.

There are scripts that can defend your stuff while you are sleeping, or doing other stuff.

Even if you aren't running scripts, you loose the intimidation factor if you log out of the game. I will still test to see if my opponent is protecting thier grid or not, but I am a lot less likely to try to invade your base.

2/3 For me, playing tradewars alone is like fishing alone and Sober. So I have heard anyway, as i do not fish or drink. Sure the community is smaller now, but you can still find people to play with on discord. It is a lot more fun when you can go up against the ferengi with a partnet, and if there are any other players in the game you are going to need help.

4. Your opponents READ the forums, so you probably should not post tactical information here. They aren't going to reply, but I guarantee they are reading!

I would highly recommend you read:

Gypsy's Big Dummy's Guide to TradeWars by Rick Mead
It is a great guide for new and experienced players.
http://wiki.classictw.com/index.php?tit ... _TradeWars

Then for more advanced tactics read:

The Cabal's Secret Hideout has a nice collection of Tips and Guides by various authors. From basic economics to advanced strategy, they have it all. I particularly enjoyed the advanced haggling lessons by Cherokee.
https://tw-cabal.navhaz.com/About.html

Start out in a time limit game on Crunchers. Most the games are good for new and returning players (except Game C), or one fo the Bulders or Regulated games on Star Killer's Ice9. Unlimited Time/Unlimited Turn games are HARDCORE, and require advanced scripts. These game are usually over in the first 15 minutes.

Play a few games, learn how to capture ferrengal, and then maybe your questions will not sound too stupid to be answered.

p.s. I hope you are not duping on "The Sandbox" as Flip will not put up with that kind of behavior!

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:34 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next