View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TWX Proxy 2.5.73 Available 
Commander

Unread post Re: TWX Proxy 2.5.73 Available
Notably, both languages have the same architect. Anders Hejlsberg was the chief architect of Turbo Pascal, Delphi, .net and C#.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Micro wrote:

Here is the output from the converter.

https://github.com/MicroBlaster/TWXProx ... Proxy-C%23

It is certainly not worth what I paid. It would be easier to write most of it from scratch, because the libraries in .net are completely different.

Both languages use object oriented programming, so there are a lot of similarities. The Begin/End tags make it look more like Visual Basic though.

The question is does the output compile and work?

Because at the end of the day 95% of it won't be touched so who cares what it looks like?

If it works and can be worked on from a modern dev environment then it's a win imo.

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 am
Ambassador

Hammer_2 wrote:
The question is does the output compile and work?

Because at the end of the day 95% of it won't be touched so who cares what it looks like?

If it works and can be worked on from a modern dev environment then it's a win imo.

No, it doesn't even come close to working. It will not compile, and it is full of comments about components that aren't supported.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Boo! inc.

I have to admit... this thread has kept me looking back in this tw forum.

I like the idea of porting over twx proxy to a new language. even if it requires rewrites to pretty much every aspect. I think the important part would be to allow existing scripts (compiled or not) to work in this new port.

i've always liked the proxy idea to allow people to use whatever interface they want. I would be interested in helping, i just can not invest too much time at the moment. but once the project at work is done... i can then try to help out.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:53 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Just a thought, though if porting TWX over, what about doing it as a SWATH plugin, possibly with a live contextual editor that compiles too?

So the connection would stream through SWATH's settings as a single icon and TWX would have its own menu and controls inside of SWATH.

Both would come also to share the same files/db, so when TWX scripting to ZTM the SWATH map would be updated correctly too, live fig updating, etc.

TWX Proxy Reference Online

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:49 am
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant J.G.

When I had a look at the output and the errors most seemed to refer to the same functions. Much of them were to do with freemem etc, which I'm guessing is memory management (I know nothing about Delphi)

Given this is being ported to a newer/modern language most of that probably can just be removed.

To be honest I haven't even looked at C# since not long after it came out.. so I don't know much about that either.

Maybe after XMas I'll take a look if you are willing to put a zip file of the converted contents somewhere Micro? Assuming it's not breaking any rules/licenses.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2