View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 EXTERN not running... 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post EXTERN not running...
I'm running TWGS 2.20b on Windows 7 64bit, not as a service. I have a single game, and EXTERN is set (as default) to run at 12:00am. However, I've had the game up for 5 days, and it has never run. I ran it manually after 3 days, because I got a warning about it, but it's never run automatically.

I'm running it as a regular user, and I have it installed under "C:\Program Files (x86)\EIS\TWGS\"

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: EXTERN not running...
Make sure you have activated your game in the Command Center. When you first create a game, it will be set to inactive, and will be colored red in the game list. It will not show up in the game list for players who connect to the server with telnet or other client. But you will be able to access the game with the Command Center "play" button, or by connecting to the server on the admin port. That can sometimes be confusing, because you can enter the game and play, but if the game is not active, extern will not run. The Gold aliens will not be active either.

Make sure the first button in the game config window says "Deactivate". If it says "Activate", press it and the game will be active.

If this is not the issue, we'll take a deeper look at the situation.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

It's definitely active, since it says "deactivate" and because I (and others - we're testing it before we start a real game) can log in and play, not on the admin port.

Also, there are no errors in the error logs.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:46 pm
Site Admin

Can you export the game data and send it to me so I can test it locally?

Another consideration is your local date/time format. I've seen cases in the past where an unusual locale setting for date/time formatting caused the scheduler to fail.

Also, have you shut down the server and restarted to see if extern starts to run properly?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

I did deactivate and reactivate the game, but not the server. I'll try that now, and in the mean time send you the game data.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm
Staff Sergeant

So, I'm looking around in "C:\Program Files (x86)\EIS\TWGS\Game\" and I don't see any files named "GameA" anything (which is what the game is called, if I read the line at the bottom of the Command Center correctly); which files do you need?

Or, if they're not there, maybe there's a problem writing to that directory, since I'm running as a user? (Although, I'm not sure why that would affect the scheduling of EXTERN, since I can run it manually).

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:44 pm
Site Admin

You should see a directory under Game called GameA, but that isn't what you need to do to export these files. If you deactivate your game, you can use the "Export" button, the 4th button on the game settings tab of Command Center, to save the game data to a TWA file. Then email that file.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Got it. It is all under my User/AppData/VitualStore directory (that's why I didn't see it). Email on the way.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:22 pm
Site Admin

I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Installing to C:\TWGS\ makes life much less complicated.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

richarddmorey wrote:
Got it. It is all under my User/AppData/VitualStore directory (that's why I didn't see it). Email on the way.

That is probably the problem right there ..
you have installed it in an area other then default , its vitual
and needs to be in c:\ path.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Vid Kid wrote:
richarddmorey wrote:

Vid or John,

Can you guys elaborate on why this is? Most software ive used does not have this specificity and require pathing to specific file directories.

Thanks

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Kaus wrote:
Vid Kid wrote:
richarddmorey wrote:

Vid or John,

Can you guys elaborate on why this is? Most software ive used does not have this specificity and require pathing to specific file directories.

Thanks

Windows 7 requires you run everything as an adminstrator to work right. OR you can install everything on the root of C: (or D: whatever) using no long filenames. As far as why, that’s a MS question. :)

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

TWGS shouldn't require you to install into a particular directory, but since it's an unusual scenario, I just think it's one of the first things to look at.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
TWGS shouldn't require you to install into a particular directory, but since it's an unusual scenario, I just think it's one of the first things to look at.

From MS Answers
The Virtual Store is where Windows 7 compliant programs typically store files that need global write/access permissions such as data, .ini, and configuration files

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next