View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can you run 2 different versions of the TWGS simultaneously? 
Ensign

Unread post Can you run 2 different versions of the TWGS simultaneously?
I was just wondering, can you run 2 versions of the TWGS simultaneously without it causing problems with each other?

If so, do I just install them to different directories, or is the dual setup a bit more complicated than that?

Also, does TWGS Ver. 1.03 (the latest stable Ver 1 release correct?) inform you that there is an upgrade and ask you if you want to upgrade? If so, is there a way to stop it from doing this? I won't want to accidentally upgrade my Ver. 1.03 if I get a popup message about an upgrade.

I searched for a post about this but couldn't find anything, that I could see. If I missed it I apologize in advance for the redundant post. Thanks

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Can you run 2 different versions of the TWGS simultaneou
You cannot run two copies of TWGS on the same machine, unless you run them in a virtual environment (i.e. hyper-v or vmware).

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ensign

Thanks Micro, I appreciate it.

So, I think I will return to TWGS Ver. 1.03. So, on my other questions in that post :

TWGS Ver. 1.03 is the last stable release of Ver 1 correct?

Does 1.03 get a pop-up message that there is a new version of TWGS out and ask you if you want to upgrade?

If that is the case (about the upgrade pop-up), is there a way to keep it from telling me there is an update and asking me if I want to upgrade? Thanks

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:55 pm
Ambassador

Yes v1.03 is the newest v1.xx beta, no there is no pop up. v1.03 is relegated to the past like HVS, there will no new enhancements to it.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I think it's a stretch to call v1.03 "stable", but it is the final v1 version. There are definitely bugs in that version, some well known, some not. But none of those bugs will be fixed. TWGSv2 fixes those bugs, and dev will continue on it until it is stable.

TWGSv1 will not notify you of any upgrades.

Can I ask what issues you're having with v2?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ensign

Thanks Helix and JP. I'm was having a prob with 2.11 and the same prob in 2.20b after the upgrade, so I'm thinking about dropping back to 1.03 until ver. 2.** gets the bugs ironed out.

I was going to post about what I'm running into, just don't know where to put it. I found an earlier thread as a bug report (while doing a search), and this sounds like it could be relevant to that post. So I don't know, post it there or make a new thread?

The problem is that I am not getting disconnected from the server when I should be. Just keep getting the 60 second inactivity warning over and over. It will go like that for hours. Never goes to the 30 second inactivity warning either, just get the 60 second. Then when I started messing around with the mombot yesterday evening, I started getting even weirder behavior, not getting messages from the server but not getting dropped even if I stayed on for hours.

I did quite a bit of testing last night and today up until this time, and took some notes if you would like to see them.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm
Veteran Op

SteveH_66 wrote:
Then when I started messing around with the mombot yesterday evening, I started getting even weirder behavior, not getting messages from the server but not getting dropped even if I stayed on for hours.

I did quite a bit of testing last night and today up until this time, and took some notes if you would like to see them.

MOMBot has a keepalive built in so every 30 seconds or so of inactivity it sends a character to keep the connection alive so you won't see the 60/30/10 seconds inactivity messages.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Sure, I'd definitely like to explore this issue, but the problem may just be that some of these tools are not quite caught up with TWGS. When I first started to hear about this kind of thing, I was very concerned, but after talking to some of the authors of these tools, I basically decided the best thing is to avoid any more major changes to TWGS and let these tools catch up. But obviously, if I find that there is anything TWGS is doing to contribute to these issues, I will fix it.

It would actually be pretty easy to get to the bottom of what is keeping TW from closing due to inactivity, if someone can reproduce this issue on my beta server. I can upload a debug version and trace all IO and see exactly what TW thinks is coming in as input to keep it from timing out.

Also, I will add a "don't notify me of new updates" check box so you can turn that off.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well, of course, if it's just an auto-keep-alive, then this would be expected behavior. Doesn't make much sense that it would only happen with v2 and not v1.03, however.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

I don't know his setup but SWATH has a keepalive running if the auto helper (light bulb) is turned on. Log into a server using just telnet and you will get 60/30/10 and dropped messages correctly.... I don't remember on 2.11 but I know it works fine on all since 2.14.

Plus I know I set the inactivity setting much higher on my server than the default 300 Sec, mine is usually 1,800 Sec. So the the server could have a setting between 120 ~ 14,400 Seconds.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ensign

That is true Toyman, and I am running SWATH in the helper mode. If I remember correctly, it's keep alive functions like the ones we write for TWX though - triggers off of the inactivity warning and sends # to check to see who's online. I am not seeing any of that, just one inactivity warning after another.

But it is one factor I didn't test for, so I will do a fresh restart of the game and helpers, with everything turned off in SWATH, and see what happens.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm
Ensign

Server setting is the default 300 seconds Toyman, I did think to check that :wink: And the inactivity warnings come every 4 minutes, which is proper behavior there, 60 second warning before the 5 minutes is up, then 30 second warning, then disconnect. Just that I don't get disconnected.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 pm
Ensign

John Pritchett wrote:
Also, I will add a "don't notify me of new updates" check box so you can turn that off.

Hey JP, don't go to any of that kind of trouble for me, if this all turns out to be some kind of user error on my part I will probably stick with Ver. 2, and I would want to be notified of upgrades to it. If you were talking about adding that checkbox to V2 in your post I quoted from. :D

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:33 pm
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
SteveH_66 wrote:
Then when I started messing around with the mombot yesterday evening, I started getting even weirder behavior, not getting messages from the server but not getting dropped even if I stayed on for hours.

MOMBot has a keepalive built in so every 30 seconds or so of inactivity it sends a character to keep the connection alive so you won't see the 60/30/10 seconds inactivity messages.

Plus mombot has a "Banner Interval" that defaults to 60 so it forces a relog off ever 60 mins. If you change the banner interval to say 900 you will not relog ever hour.

You can check the banner interval setting by using '<' and '~'
H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Ensign

Toyman, it appears you are correct about SWATH, they must be using another way to do their keep alive. With everything turned off in SWATH except parse incoming text, I got 2 60 second inactivity warnings. I figured better turn that off and have nothing running in SWATH, so I turned off parse incoming text. Next inactivity warning, I got 60, then 30, then 10, then I was disconnected. So it appears the SWATH keep alive works in the background somehow, doesn't query for who's online.

Helix, thanks for that information about mombot.

JP, very sorry for the false alarm. :( And as I said earlier, I wouldn't want the checkbox for not being notified of upgrades to Ver. 2, best to keep on top of the new releases I would say.

My apologies to everyone else over the false alarm as well. Thanks for the help and guidance everyone.

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next