View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 *** Official BOTE 2011 Thread *** 
Gameop

Unread post *** Official BOTE 2011 Thread ***
Start thinking up your teams.
At the request of team Kraaken, winners of last years BOTE I'm announcing BOTE 2011.

Final edit will be posted here, and practice game will be put up in the next week or so.
Per their request the game will be hosted on my V1.03 server as game B
runawayproton.dyndns.org:23

Dust off your old scripts, and announce your participation here.
Rules and such to follow.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post Game Rules
Game settings can be viewed here.

Teams:

Number of corporations will depend on how many TWGS code holders send a team to play. Each code holder can send one team of up to 5 players each. Players will have 8 days to enter the game. Any players not logged in after 8 days, will be unable to play. Once a team member logs in there will be no substitutions. I’ll be recording IP addresses of players when they start.

Game rules will be the following:

1. Only 1 (one) team from each TWGS server.
2. No transfer of traders or resources between the different teams. If your teams quits on you, you will have to keep playing alone and if the entire team quits for any reason you cannot give your resource over to a different team.
3. If something could possibly be mistaken for breaking any of the rules then this must be reported with in 24hrs to the game-op and must be accompanied with captures/logs as proof.
4. Request of disqualification must be turned in within 24hrs to the gameop. Proof must be supplied in forms of screen captures and/or logs from the system.
5. NO account sharing. If a player can't play he will have to make sure his team mates can protect him without using his account.
6. I don't care if you script. I don't care if you attempt to play 24/7. If you think you have to play like a chicken and be online 24/7 because you can't protect yourself from others in any other way so be it.
7. Whine and complain on how someone is playing or acting and your guaranteed to end up on my ignore/AnimalDung list. If you think that only way you can get my attention is to bring a complaint into a public forum and discredit me or the server expect to get your account on the server suspended. This is one of the toughest and most prestige full game of the year if you can't handle it then go back to playing StarCraft and Diablo 2 and use your hacks to gain your powers.
8. No buyouts or continually running scripts with the sole purpose of keeping another player out of the game, make resources unavailable, or hamper server performance.
9. I’m aware of the bug which prevents most people from using the tournament mode death limit function.
There are eight death’s allowed per player in this game. Each time you’re podded = 1 death.
However the mechanics of the game will allow a player to enter another ship if he/she wasn’t SD’d after kill #8, and they could indeed be killed for kills 9 and up.
I’ve decided to deal with this by letting the game mechanics do their job. 8 pods will equal 8 deaths, but the player is not down and out unless they are SD’d. This means a player can have 20 deaths, but if not SD he is still in the game.
10. No substitutions after the game starts. You have 8 days for your team to enter the game. After 8 days the game is closed and if you're not in, you're not getting in. If you care to enter a team late, you can do so as long as it's not after the 8 day limit.
11. After the game has started no team can replace any of its traders with a replacement. So if one trader has to withdraw from the game his team will have to continue without him.
12. We can establish a neutral arbitrator for this game prior to the tournament start date if desired. In the case of a dispute, all information will be passed to the arbitrator or gameop for their review. This will include any game logs, screen captures submitted, and any other relative information to assist with the review. Once the arbitrator has made their decision, it is final. The arbitrator will ensure that decisions made are based on fact, and not on their opinion or views.
13. Players must preregister with the game op and will not play under alias. Team captains will submit the names of the players to the gameop, who will enter each player into the game, and email them their passwords. This also means that the gameop has to be given a clear way to contact each member of the team. Gameop will not under any circumstances give the password of a player to someone other than the player him/herself. (modified since original posting on 11/13/2011)
I reserve the right to change or alter any of these rules up until the game starts.

Just a has been now.

Last edited by Runaway Proton on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post Re: *** Official BOTE 2011 Thread ***
Here's last years BOTE TWA.
Once teams are formed up we can discuss any changes that need to be made prior to the start date of the tournament.

Attachments:
BOTE 2010.TWA [121.78 KiB]
Downloaded 389 times

Just a has been now.
Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Start date for this tournament is 12/1/2011

Should have posted that in my original message :? :?

Just a has been now.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

This follows from HHT official Thread.

John Pritchett wrote:
Yeah, they have a lot more bugs they can exploit in v1.03. That's understandable ;)

Very Shabby to say the least.

I'll crosspost this to the new BOTE thread, as there several other issues that might be addressed.

This will not be BOTE. "You can be born in a stable and not be a horse".

BOTE was conceived by Zoobar and Maverick as the Battle of The Elite, a Tourney played by the best players of the TW BBSs, as teams representing their "home BBS", playing against one another. Thats just for starters.

Then, it is not a great idea to let the last winners of ANY tourney to choose the settings for the next, for pretty obvious reasons. If anything it should be by consensus.

Lastly, there were issues some time back when BOTE was perceived to have been in danger of highjacking. Nothing has changed in this regard that I know of.

Read and be amused:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20784

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:12 pm
Site Admin

I had a long discussion with RP about this, and expressed my concerns for fairness. He told me that he gave his word that the winning team could make the decision, and I respect his decision to stand by that. Hopefully this is something to take into account in the future. If certain players would publish their secret bag of bug exploits, then games on v1.03 could be played on a more level playing field. But as it is, that game is heavily weighted toward those with secret knowledge. I'll just leave it at that.

The same situation exists with TWGS v2, but the more games that are played on that version, the more these bugs will come to light and be fixed. The same can't be said for v1.03. Those bugs are locked in. Unfortunately, some players like it that way.

Let's not derail this thread into a debate on which version to run. This BOTE is going to run on v1.03. The issue has been expressed so players know what they're getting into. I hope the tournament is a success, and good luck to everyone who participates!

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
I had a long discussion with RP about this, and expressed my concerns for fairness. He told me that he gave his word that the winning team could make the decision, and I respect his decision to stand by that.

I must have missed that post by RP, would you or RP mind pointing me to it as I like to keep up with Tourney lore.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 pm
Gameop

Kavanagh wrote:
Lastly, there were issues some time back when BOTE was perceived to have been in danger of highjacking. Nothing has changed in this regard that I know of.

Read and be amused:

http://classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20784

I'll address this first. I'm not sure who you are, or why you want to destroy this traditional game. But here are the facts.
The thread you dug up, I was unaware of the traditions of the game, and it was a follow up year to a game that had gone so far beyond the realms of reason that if it was allowed to run to it's completion, might still be running today. SG himself it could be argued used bugs in the game to try to keep players once killed from being able to enter the game. SG had talked me into running a "no rules" game and because of this I let it run till it killed the spirit of the game, and most players simply quit logging into it. SG called it a win, I called it fouled game.
After I'd posted the above thread, and SG had his say about it, the game never got hosted that year. I took my time, and learned the traditions of the game, and the edit. I made several errors in that post, and if you care to put it in context you can see that the following year I did indeed host a traditional BOTE in which Kraaken won. Here's some notes for you http://www.runawayproton.com/BOTE.html

Kavanagh wrote:
This will not be BOTE. "You can be born in a stable and not be a horse".

BOTE was conceived by Zoobar and Maverick as the Battle of The Elite, a Tourney played by the best players of the TW BBSs, as teams representing their "home BBS", playing against one another. Thats just for starters.

If I didn't host this game, nobody else seems to pick it up these days so I've taken it upon myself to follow it through and run it each year if possible. I contacted MacAhan after the above thread was posted, because SG said it was he that needed to give permission to run the game, and have been given permission to run with it. If you notice, the next year when I hosted the 2010 BOTE SG didn't object, and he was a stickler for the traditional game as you can see from your own link above.
I understand it's a Battle of the Elite. And if you want to knock down the champion, then it's time to put together a team, and knock them down. They are good, but even giants can fall. If you're up to the challenge then find a way to do it. If you want to throw in the towel before the game starts, then I guess you don't belong in the game anyways.

Kavanagh wrote:
Then, it is not a great idea to let the last winners of ANY tourney to choose the settings for the next, for pretty obvious reasons. If anything it should be by consensus.

There will be discussions about changes, and changes I'm sure will be made, I've learned my lesson in saying "no changes". However the 2010 champions are indeed Kraaken. They asked me to host 2011 before I even had my V2 games running, they quickly asked me to be sure that BOTE was to be left on the V1.03 server to which I agreed, like it or not, I'll honor my word. I may not do it again, but this year it's no longer a question.
Also as last years winners they will have final say on any changes to the edits that are made. SG made the edit for the 2007 tournament which I hosted, we used that same edit with some changes for 2010, and it's the base for the 2011 game.
After teams are formed up, changes will be discussed and approved. So I guess that's your consensus.

Now lets get past trying to drag things down, and put up some teams to bring Kraaken down. I refuse to believe there isn't one of you smart enough to do it.

Just a has been now.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

You are repeating mistakes that some TW gameops made in the past, which ruined their reputations.

I'll mention but two, lest you go on a rant to obfuscate.

1. You, a gameop, know details of bugs which you decline to share with the writer of the software, and intend to bang a Tourney under the version with those bugs.

2. You, a gameop, came to a private arrangement with a Permacorp to bang a Tourney with bugs known to them and not to all others.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02 pm
Site Admin

There is no reason to suspect that RP knows any more about these bugs than I do.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Runaway Proton wrote:
I'll address this first. I'm not sure who you are, or why you want to destroy this traditional game. But here are the facts.

I frankly do not give a rat's arse whether or not you know who I am, but since many here probably do not either, I will explain.

I was a founding member of Boo! inc with SG, Medusa and Nightraven, mid/late 90s.

I do not want BOTE to be destroyed/ruined/cheapened; I played in the 2nd thru 6th BOTE.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:36 pm
Site Admin

BOTE has always inspired high emotions, and that obviously hasn't changed.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
There is no reason to suspect that RP knows any more about these bugs than I do.

I withdraw the accusation and apologise.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:07 pm
Veteran Op

Silver Wings TWGS would like to sponsor a team for the up coming B.O.T.E. if there is enough interest. Feel free to contact me PM or through email if there is any interest. I would rather not have everyone knowing who is on the team, I prefer it be a surprise @ game time :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

In the spirt of BOTE, shouldn't teams come from active servers? And the players are the ones who actually play that server?

That was the original premise of this game.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:25 am
Profile ICQ WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 446 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next