View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Setting Up System 
Gameop

Unread post Setting Up System
I just ordered the codes for TWGS/TW Gold, while waiting for them was setting up the 4 node to get everything working, my question is how do I configure the system to accept outside connections, am running SBC DSL. Any help I can get would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Y City Connection

[size=150][color=#FFFF00] (Please Read Game Rules on Website Before Playing)

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Setting Up System
First question asked: behind a router or direct?

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm
Gameop

Hooked into a 2Wire 1701HG Gateway broadband router

here are the specs:
http://www.digidave.co.uk/product_info. ... 5ca0c7b4c6

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander

Ok, I am on an 8 port VPN router so I should be able to assist you. ;)

-> Start up the TWGS software. The window appears and you will see the buton "Start Server" and "Configure". Click "Configure".

-> A box opens up with various tabs. Click the Server tab. Priority I set to normal, Root directory reads where the software is installed. IP address set to Auto. Game Port is the port you want to use. You can use the defaults or specify a port. Be aware if you have to also allow this port open on the router side too. What I mean is most routers have the interface that allows ITs to specify port and what machine to forward the port to. For example, on my router the internal IP assigned to my main twgs is 192.168.0.4 and in my router I have port forwarding for port 2002 routing to that IP. Telnet is the protocol for both ports. Administration port is for you to access the admin functions of the TWGS. Make sure you set a password for your admin login and set the port different than the regular port, otherwise people can get access.

The other thing to look at is users will either connect to you via IP or a domain name. For example, my TWGS can be reached either by telnet://twgs.outpost-4.com:2002, or my IP (telnet://162.x.x.x:2002). will have to either pass your IP and port to players or get a dynamic host name from places like No-IP.com or DynDns.org.

--

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 pm
Gameop

Ok on the setting part - set Priority to normal, IP address to auto, Game Port 23 Protocol Telnet, Admin port is set to a different port, set up an admin password, how do I accomplish this part of the equation ---> Be aware if you have to also allow this port open on the router side too. What I mean is most routers have the interface that allows ITs to specify port and what machine to forward the port to. Thanks

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander

Y City Connection wrote:
Ok on the setting part - set Priority to normal, IP address to auto, Game Port 23 Protocol Telnet, Admin port is set to a different port, set up an admin password, how do I accomplish this part of the equation ---> Be aware if you have to also allow this port open on the router side too. What I mean is most routers have the interface that allows ITs to specify port and what machine to forward the port to. Thanks

Sorry. I assume you have the TWGS software installed. Locate the shortcut and start it up. It will start with the window visible or the icon in the task tray. If the window is visible and the server is not running, you will see the Configure button I spoke of earlier. If not you need to stop the server then you can click configure.

If you start the software and no window appears, locate the TWGS icon in your task tray and double-click it. It will open the TWGS window.

--

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:31 pm
Gameop

OK all of the setting have been done in the TWGS how do I set the router to specify port and what machine to forward the port to.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander

Y City Connection wrote:
OK all of the setting have been done in the TWGS how do I set the router to specify port and what machine to forward the port to.

Routers have a web interface available for ITs to access and setup. You would have to consult your manual. Most either use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 to access. In other words, open your web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 which brings you to the Router's interface. If setup, you may be prompted for your admin login and password.

Now each router is different, so you may need to consult your manual for details. Using my network as an example, my router is 192.168.0.1, my machine running TWGS is 192.168.0.4. I go to the ports and select the entry for my TWGS, port 2002 and tell it to route connections for this port to IP 192.168.0.4. This is called port forwarding.

On your machine running the TWGS, you will need to know what the IP address is for that machine. You can find out by clicking on Start, Run and type "cmd" without the quotes. This opens a DOS box. At the DOS prompt, type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and hit Enter. It will display the IP address of your network adapter. If you have it set where the router is assigning IP's then you should have a class C IP (like 192.168.x.x or something like that). If you are not too familiar with networks, I'd suggest research on setting up a network and DHCP server (which most routers are). The IP address listed for your network adapter is the IP you need to tell the router to forward to. So in my case, my router assigns my machine 192.168.0.4, and the port 2002 is forwarded to that IP.

--

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm
Veteran Op

Y City Connection wrote:

Most people forward port 23, some use 2002 if port 23 is being used by another application. As far as the router set up, that depends on the type router you have and how the network is set up. Whatever port you use for the twgs, you need to pass it on to the twgs server from the internet. It will need to be passed through your router, and your firewall. Most firewalls will ask you if you want to allow internet access through that port when you open the twgs. If your IP changes at all, you'll need a redirect addy and an update client to keep your connection current at all times. You should have documentation on your router about how to allow IP passthrough.

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:12 pm
Gameop

Thanks guys We got it up and running, now awaiting the codes to get everything else up and running

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Staff Sergeant

I need some help, too! Trying to get my registered TWGS server working for my friends through a LinkSys wireless router, and it's giving me a terrible time. I attempted the DOS command and got nowhere, though the web-based *who am I* program found my IP addy. However, I try to have friends connect via Telnet and SWATH, and so far no dice. I know it's the router, but can't get into it... hard reset it and everything, and it seems I still don't have access. Please help!

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:40 am
Staff Sergeant

Still banging away at it, found out my server machine's addy is 192.168.1.100 -- just need to figure out how to program port forwarding. Is that done from the TWGS server, or from the router?

Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:45 am
Veteran Op

192.168.xxx.xxx is your localnet IP, not the internet IP. That's assigned by the router and not route-able from the outside, so people will need your actual IP. I have an IP checker on navhaz (see my sig) that'll tell you your internet IP.

You need to setup your router to do the port forwarding.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:26 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Bridget` wrote:
Still banging away at it, found out my server machine's addy is 192.168.1.100 -- just need to figure out how to program port forwarding. Is that done from the TWGS server, or from the router?

You should be able to get to your router setup at 192.168.1.1 to enter port forwarding.

I would suggest setting up an address at one of the free forwarding sites in the event your Internet addy changes due to various issues. This would allow you to have something like bridget@dyndns.org instead of the actual IP. Dyndns would forward requests say for 76.100.100.45 to bridget@dyndns.org. Your router would then forward to your server. Setting up dyndns may be overkill for the server you are setting up and not required by any means.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Staff Sergeant

Thanks, Singularity! Thanks, Promethius!

I found my actual server ISP addy using Singularity's link to whoami. And, went to the online pdf version of the router's user manual to find / program the router for port forwarding. I'm going to hold off on the registered domain name for now, but if it becomes a problem later I'll remember to do it.

This is intended to be a small, private server for family / old friends. 4 games total - 1 classic no-kill, 1 classic kill-zone, 1 happyhappyjoyjoy no-kill, and 1 happy-joyful-kill-zone. (HHJJ settings = money for nothing, chicks for free, for brand new people to explore without getting frustrated at mistakes / other players throwing them under the bus and setting back weeks of work.)

Thanks so much for your help!
-Bridget

Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next