View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 no steal from buying products? 
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
quote:
quote:
When a corp can make 90 million a day in under 900 turns, there's something seriously unbalanced about that, IMHO.

I'd like to know how to do that! With SST that would take a 10 player corp. My rule of thumb is 1 mil per 100 turns with blue support (no turns wasted on moving or furbing). People always tell me my numbers are off, but I've consistently demonstrated otherwise. Unless they're telling me I'm not making enough. (I know about MegaRob, SDF, etc. that make more than SST.. but that much more?)

I think that 17500 creds per turn is what you'll get close to maxing at.. so a 5 man corp at 1k turns will be able to get close to that 90 mil mark .. but that's assuming that EVERYONE uses 100% of their turns to buydump .. and it also assumes that you have the ports to support it .. I think you would need (depending on the game settings) 38 ports that would reach 100% each day .. Not that this value isnt realistic! .. it's jut going to be a little expensive to get .. It also assumes ptrade value is not 60% .. and it's 100% .. But the interesting thing is this .. when SDF was an 0 turn option .. You could make this kind of money on day 1 (if the ports existed)

Regards

<<Doctor Who>>

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:01 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
quote:
quote:
RTR means Rob-Transport-Rob - Since you can not rob/steal from the same port 2x in a row, you rob one, then xport to a ship in another sector, xport back and repeat...

A Proud Member of the Alliance
http://tradewars.fament.com/severian

technically, its just RT - heh. ROB-TRANSPORT, repeat. just like SST isn't SSTSS and SDT isn't SDTS. if it was RTR, then you would bust every time... i dare you to try ROB-TRANSPORT-ROB, repeat.

Yea we know .. but it needs to be 3 letters ;)

<<Doctor Who>>

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:04 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post 
quote:
You are correct on this, and I was mucho wrong. In early releases of TW you -could- sit at a xxB and continuously steal-sell. That was changed by v1.03. In v2 ship transporters were introduced and that made SST possible. Sorry for the confusion in my earlier post.

Lisa M. Wilson
aka Rave
uhndagrowhn bbs

uhndagrowhn bbs
telnet://uhndagrowhn.merseine.nu

Oh you beat me too it... You used to be able to sit at one port and steal trade over and over till you got busted.. now you cant steal from the same port twice thats wrong... LOL

whats even better was the max hold bug in the scouts where you could push the holds negative past 0 by getting busted then you could buy more and more holds ont he scout till you had like 1024 holds.

2 turns per warp and 1024 holds you could make a fortune and if you kept busting it added holds instead of subtracting them..lol till it wrapped back around the other way...

Those were the days when playing red was fun

Zandramus

Riftwars.dnsalias.com
RiftwarsBBS.mine.nu port 23

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
quote:
Oh you beat me too it... You used to be able to sit at one port and steal trade over and over till you got busted.. now you cant steal from the same port twice thats wrong... LOL

I'm fast.

quote:
whats even better was the max hold bug in the scouts where you could push the holds negative past 0 by getting busted then you could buy more and more holds ont he scout till you had like 1024 holds.

Actually, the max holds bug allowed any ship to reach 32 thousand something holds. That one I do know because that was covered extensively in help files such as Slice's, Iago's War Manual, etc. You could also artifically increase any ships figs and shield count to the same number through various means... but if you ported with too many figs/shields for your ship type, the game stripped them from you. Still good to have a 2 tpw Scout at 2:1 odds with 32,000 figs and 32,000 shields on board. Great for invasions.

quote:
2 turns per warp and 1024 holds you could make a fortune and if you kept busting it added holds instead of subtracting them..lol till it wrapped back around the other way...

Those were the days when playing red was fun

Hmm... I didn't play back then... That was way before my time, but I can't even begin to imagine how having a 32,000 hold Scout Marauder could be considered "fun".

Lisa M. Wilson
aka Rave
uhndagrowhn bbs

uhndagrowhn bbs
telnet://uhndagrowhn.merseine.nu

Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
quote:
I'd like to know how to do that! With SST that would take a 10 player corp. My rule of thumb is 1 mil per 100 turns with blue support (no turns wasted on moving or furbing). People always tell me my numbers are off, but I've consistently demonstrated otherwise. Unless they're telling me I'm not making enough. (I know about MegaRob, SDF, etc. that make more than SST.. but that much more?)

About 1.x... I thought originally you could sit at a xxB port and just buy-steal from it continuously, then by 1.03d it was changed so you couldn't sell-steal, then in 2.0 it became SST. But I could be wrong, I played a little 1.03d just because the board I played on was slow to update, then they went to 2b5 which is where I really got my start.

In an mbbs mode game, a corp corp of 6 players who each used 700 turns/day could make 130+ million/day doing buydowns and mega-robbing.

Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:40 pm
Sergeant

Unread post 
Hi all,

I happen to also play on that game he is mentioning. It's a reasonably new board and a reasonably new sysop. He had prety much stock settings on his first game and the evils ran rampant, by day 30 they had more money at thier disposal than anybody knew what to do with. The current settings are his attempt to make red and blue a little more balanced. Personally I play blue in this game.

If you guys want to check it out, just hop on over to als.slacking.net , that's the bbs. Also has alot of other old school BBS door games (I know there are still LORD junkies out there...)

What his goal with the game was , was to make a long running game where people would actually role play, and build up, instead of the fast and furious style being played around mostly. Also, there are alot of newbies in the game just learning how to. (most of us hang out on an IRC channel and got into it that way)

But in general, yes, he made it hard to play red, the one red in our corp has been struggling, while those of us blue are zipping around in our ISS's. (then again he also put a 10k exp restriction on flying an ISS to slow us up some).

In the future he's talking about adding some additional ships, help the evil side out some. The pretense is that the sysops old red corp from the last game went into the ship making business. Personally i've had fun getting back into my old addiction to it all, and would love some competition, get some new players in and around and probably talk him into rebanging so we can all start fresh or something, I dunno.

Take care all

Buck Spiffy
Rogue Space Stud, and CEO of the Kitten Killers.

Thu Mar 21, 2002 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:
Any tips to playing evil on a game where the sysop has set it so you cant steal a product that the port is buying? This beats SSTing. You can still SSM if you find a pair BSB BBS ports, doing orgs+equips. but its not quite as many credits because you cant to an evil pair XXB..I considered port trading plus robbing credits afterwards...

Or is it not worth the trouble to play evil with this config?

Well, Just gonna shoot my 2 cents. Maybe you could park a ship at a XXS and XXB port pair and another at another XXS and XXB port pair. Then Steal, warp to next sector, Sell, Transport, Steal,warp to next sector, Sell, Transport back Repeat. Might take alittle longer.

~~LordLythus~~

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:51 am
Profile ICQ
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:
quote:
RTR means Rob-Transport-Rob - Since you can not rob/steal from the same port 2x in a row, you rob one, then xport to a ship in another sector, xport back and repeat...

A Proud Member of the Alliance
http://tradewars.fament.com/severian

technically, its just RT - heh. ROB-TRANSPORT, repeat. just like SST isn't SSTSS and SDT isn't SDTS. if it was RTR, then you would
bust every time... i dare you to try ROB-TRANSPORT-ROB, repeat.

Getting a bit technical. I believe you knew what she meant.

~~LordLythus~~

Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:55 am
Profile ICQ
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:
Actually, the max holds bug allowed any ship to reach 32 thousand something holds. That one I do know because that was covered extensively in help files such as Slice's, Iago's War Manual, etc. You could also artifically increase any ships figs and shield count to the same number through various means... but if you ported with too many figs/shields for your ship type, the game stripped them from you. Still good to have a 2 tpw Scout at 2:1 odds with 32,000 figs and 32,000 shields on board. Great for invasions.

quote:
Hmm... I didn't play back then... That was way before my time, but I can't even begin to imagine how having a 32,000 hold Scout Marauder could be considered "fun".

it made for very unbalanced games, since not everyone could figure out how to exploit the bugs (even with Slice's War Manual, etc. expounding on it (that's a name I hadn't heard in awhile, btw))

Daemon
ICQ# 99772936

Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:48 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Woah, wait, I'm sorry I'l a LITTLE late to this topic but it just came up in the game I'm in . . . are you telling me that a single person can make 1 million in 100 turns? I'm sitting here happy with the 200K I make in 100 turns, are you SSM or SSTing in a COLT? cuz that's what I'm doing and I dont see how it works out to 1M in 100 turns. BTW, is that even the most efficient way to make money or am I seriously off? I'm alone in the game I'm in so I'd just like to know how you guys are doing it.

PAX is Peace

Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:53 pm
Commander

Unread post 
1M per 100 turns is about what you make running SST in colts. A load of equipment typically sells for around 30K, sometimes as high as 34K at an especially nice port. You do that twice every six turns. But keep in mind that's 1M per 100 turns of actual SST. Every time you get busted and have to move or replenish holds cuts into that. That's why it's so great to have a blue teammate bringing you furbs and towing you around. Then whatever turns they don't use on you, they can use to colonize or whatever.

Suddenly you're Busted!

Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post 
quote: Actually, the max holds bug allowed any ship to reach 32 thousand something holds. That one I do know because that was covered extensively in help files such as Slice's, Iago's War Manual, etc. You could also artifically increase any ships figs and shield count to the same number through various means... but if you ported with too many figs/shields for your ship type, the game stripped them from you. Still good to have a 2 tpw Scout at 2:1 odds with 32,000 figs and 32,000 shields on board. Great for invasions.

Once again you are correct... and this bug did seriously unbalance the game... I think the shields bug had to do with transferring shields to a corpie at the citidel then swapping ships or something like that.... this stuff all happened over 10 years ago so my old mind is very fuzzy

these were some of the things in version 1 that prompted rewrites in the way things worked in version 2.

quote:Woah, wait, I'm sorry I'l a LITTLE late to this topic but it just came up in the game I'm in . . . are you telling me that a single person can make 1 million in 100 turns? I'm sitting here happy with the 200K I make in 100 turns, are you SSM or SSTing in a COLT? cuz that's what I'm doing and I dont see how it works out to 1M in 100 turns. BTW, is that even the most efficient way to make money or am I seriously off? I'm alone in the game I'm in so I'd just like to know how you guys are doing it.

PAX is Peace

yes it averages out to 1 million per hundred turns if you are stealing the full 250 holds of equipment and selling them back to the same port you bought them from... ie you start with a full load of equip... selll it to the port, steal it back then xport to the next ship and repeate the process... xport back to the first ship and so forth till you get busted and have to move a ship.

Zandramus

Riftwars.dnsalias.com
RiftwarsBBS.mine.nu port 23

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2