View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

Forum rules

This is not an area to debate the pros and cons of proposed features. It is an area for people to suggest new features for either TW or TWGS. I will either add the proposed feature to my planned features list, or explain my reasons for passing on the feature at this time. Features added to the list can be voted on so I can gauge people's interest.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Another feature! The most important one! 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Another feature! The most important one!
I want JP to come back!

66.26.112.116:2002

MicroBlaster:
http://www.microblaster.net/ServerDetai ... erverid=66

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 am
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post Re: Another feature! The most important one!
Lionmane wrote:
I want JP to come back!

Alternatively put the code out or declare abandonware.

He can't make more than $200 a year from this? I mean who buys the software now?

Game is dead, let us dinosaurs have fun with it.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:39 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

I bought it, recently. I paid the maximum price. I bought a computer specifically for the purpose of hosting. I've carefully documented how to set it up in Windows 7, thanks to Star Killer. I'm prepared to assist anyone in setting up SWATH + TWXProxy. And then, I have a public release of M()mBot (thanks to Star Killer) that I can distribute freely and assist with the setup. I'm still working on USING M()mBot, though! Hyuck! If I could obtain a blog or something, then I would present all of this information in one place. And etc.

Because I've always wanted to do it, that's why.

Honestly, I have no idea how I used "Lionmane" instead of "Krovach!?" Krovach is the alias I use in Tradewars! Hyuck!

The entire problem with this game can be summed up with one word: vanity. It has spread everywhere to everyone. Did I say EVERYone? Yes, that's me too.

So, I'm just going to assume that the game will continue because enthusiasm is contagious. And because I know how to "channel" my vanity. Hyuck!

You can already see the infection of enthusiasm spreading. It's why you're drawn to my post, in fact. But you still don't dare to hope!?

BTW: when you guys pass, your knowledge and wisdom will die with you. But not mine! The WHOLE WORLD will associate this ridiculous name that I happened to use with the name "Tradewars 2002!" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

...or will it? ;-)

Edit: What?! Who cares about TW 2002?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Well... Maybe future historians who are researching online gaming, perhaps? Is an "honorable mention" 100 years from now worth the effort in the present? That's after they say that Lionmane was the greatest fan of all, of course! Lol!

MicroBlaster:

One day, the entire Tradewars 2002 fanbase will tremble at the mere mention of "Lionmane." Too bad it's not my name!?!?! -Krovach

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:19 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Lots of problems with the game, features and bugs I personally don't think is stopping it.

Some of what you say, vanity/ego, certainly doesn't help.

Biggest thing is the learning curve or skill difference between the noob and advanced player. When I came back wow was I out of my depth. Difference is I was pretty good back in the day ( ego? ) and a programmer so I was keen to work out why I sucked.

Now if I play a game with a random player or 3, I beat them so bad they usually call me a cheat. So if the difference in skill is that big that I get called a cheat, it's really hard for new/returning players. I'm not joking about the cheat thing either, I can't tell you how often it's happened.

So I agree, the knowledge needs to be shard. However most of what I learnt just came from the navhaz webpage. There are areas where people continue to suck so perhaps I'll start sharing that.

Perhaps a "WHY YOU SUCK AT TRADEWARS" series. :)

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Commander

I appreciate the enthusiasm; makes me believe the game will still be here, years from now.

The problem, in my opinion, with all its bugs and lack of development: Tradewars is a Dialup BBS game that is not designed for 24/7 logins. I wonder if someone will host a game with that in mind, i.e: 30min/day game time, 1500 Turns, 10k Universe, small Corp. ....something like that. I would defiantly have time to play a game like that. :D

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

When is the next Tradewars convention?

Edit: We could just rent a conference room for Tradewars fans at any other convention, and all the registered people can leave their stuff in the room while they wander around the convention. Maybe we can also have a wifi connection available for members.

It can even host a tournament while the players wander the convention! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

MicroBlaster:

Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

LoneStar wrote:
I appreciate the enthusiasm; makes me believe the game will still be here, years from now.

The problem, in my opinion, with all its bugs and lack of development: Tradewars is a Dialup BBS game that is not designed for 24/7 logins. I wonder if someone will host a game with that in mind, i.e: 30min/day game time, 1500 Turns, 10k Universe, small Corp. ....something like that. I would defiantly have time to play a game like that. :D

Yep, I was thinking on some of the reasons why there is a gap in levels and time is one of them. You don't need the skill time, you just need to have it. If you don't have it your bot can fill in.. i.e. running a planet photon script 24/7.

Cruncher used to run many games with 4-6 hour limits, I enjoyed them. However one thing, she also doesn't allow some of the modern scripts. One thing I can never get my head around is how can you even think of playing solo in this game with photon scripts. Yet most games seem to have a bunch of solo's..

So either put a time limit per day (Which is a v2 setting), restrict photons or get a corp.

I'm also a fan of introducing Yourself + 1 games.. means casual players can bring a dupe, use scripts like mombot to actually learn more advanced tactics. I'd play more if I can do that.. then if work or life gets busy I'll just CBY and move on. At the moment I don't play because a: I Can't play solo and planet grid etc, and B: I don't want to commit to something and quit on someone.

Perhaps I'll go from "WHY YOU SUCK AT TRADEWARS" videos to tradewars university and get my own server where people can dupe up and learn how to play it the modern way. However also run some more friendly learning games like Crunchers or send them there.

anyway, just dribbling!

Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:53 pm
Ambassador

Hammer_2 wrote:
Cruncher used to run many games with 4-6 hour limits, I enjoyed them. However one thing, she also doesn't allow some of the modern scripts. One thing I can never get my head around is how can you even think of playing solo in this game with photon scripts. Yet most games seem to have a bunch of solo's..

I do run one game with no photons. Game F, 1500 turns 6 hr. TL

Players still run modern scripts, I don't pay attention unless someone complains that they got p-dropped. But, that isn't an issue much in TL games, just don't touch your enemy figs while they're online and all's good.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]