View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Registered TWGS, can't run Gold Name or Gold Rank editors 
Civilian

Unread post Registered TWGS, can't run Gold Name or Gold Rank editors
Hi, I've registered TWGS, have installed TOOLS100.EXE, and am trying to use the Command Center Tools > Gold Name/Rank Editor tools. They refuse to run, saying:

---
This application requires a valid TWGS registration!

For information about registering TWGS, use the Order
option under the TWGS Info menu
[OK]
---

I am on Windows 7 64-bit, TWGS is not installed as a service, and is running under normal permissions.

I trace the processes of NameEditor.exe and RankEditor.exe with Process Monitor, and procmon shows that they get the values RegHost ("Winged Wolf") and RegCode (redacted). I presume it's because the construction of RegCode has changed since they were updated, but I am not going to try to figure it out.

Also, MAKEPORT.EXE as a 16-bit Windows program does not work on 64-bit Windows.

I realize that I can edit the text files directly, but where's the fun in that? You wrote software to be used, and now it languishes because of DRM/copy protection. :(

-wingedwolf

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Registered TWGS, can't run Gold Name or Gold Rank editor
1. Install TWGS in the root (ie C:\TWGS...) not in Program Files (x86)
2. Run as Adminstrator
3. Install Windows XP addon if you are running Window 7 64bit

Finally, check out running a twgs in Windows 7 in the Hosting QA Forum

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Civilian

It's installed in C:\work\twgs\ .

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, not Professional. The 32-bit XP virtual machine doesn't run on anything less than Win 7 Professional.

If I run elevated, I lose access to the virtualized registry node to which TWGS settings have been redirected, and must re-activate and enter my registration code again. I work around this by exporting the virtualized node as a .reg file, then changing all instances of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE" to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

After I reimport the .reg, when I run it elevated, it still does the same thing.

-wingedwolf

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 pm
Civilian

[quote="Helix"]
1. Install TWGS in the root (ie C:\TWGS...) not in Program Files (x86)
2. Run as Adminstrator
3. Install Windows XP addon if you are running Window 7 64bit

Finally, check out [url=http://www.classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30948&hilit=Windows7+TWGS]running a twgs in Windows 7[/url] in the Hosting QA Forum
[/quote]

1) It's installed in c:\work\twgs\ (that is, a path with no spaces, which is usually what trips DOS programs up, and which is probably the reason you suggest not installing it in "c:\Program Files (x86)\EIS".)

2) Running as Administrator does nothing. In fact, it does worse than nothing: it causes TWGS to become unregistered, as it stops the virtualization of HKLM to my account's registry. Also, even after reregistering (in the non-virtualized registry), it doesn't work.

3) I have Windows 7 Home, not Windows 7 Professional. The XP addon doesn't run on this version.

There is nothing in that thread which addresses anything related to this.

Also, I just bought max slots, put my new code in, and the tools are still not running no matter what I do. If somebody with the source code is interested, I'll happily send him or her Process Monitor logs.

-wingedwolf

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]