View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Missing Turn Prompt 
Gameop

Unread post Missing Turn Prompt
John,

Were having issues with turn message prompt. I.e. we do not receive the notification that " 1turn has been deducted 223 turns left" for example when colonizing.

2.20b Micros server.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Missing Turn Prompt
Kaus wrote:
John,

Were having issues with turn message prompt. I.e. we do not receive the notification that " 1turn has been deducted 223 turns left" for example when colonizing.

2.20b Micros server.

Is the game counting them correctly? If it is sounds more like a script or helper issue. Check the script and see if it is getting it's info correctly but verifying the variables is it gathering. I know SWATH tends to miss some of the prompt info if the game is getting data to fast.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

T0yman wrote:
Kaus wrote:
John,

2.20b Micros server.

Is the game counting them correctly? If it is sounds more like a script or helper issue. Check the script and see if it is getting it's info correctly but verifying the variables is it gathering. I know SWATH tends to miss some of the prompt info if the game is getting data to fast.

I'm actually just acting as a conduit on this one. The people experiencing this problem are on the other team and no longer visit this forum. Has that message alway's been abort-able?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:37 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

All the colo scripts I am testing right now are reacting the same... I am not getting an update until it is finished and I hit "/". I normally use colo s # t/b , since I don't trust it to stop me on time. But I have ran out many times by it not updating Swath.

I just set mombot to a count and it stopped me at the "Turn Limit" & Swath never updated until I was done. My guess it is a Swath thing... OR someone is using a script or bot that has not been updated to get ship stats info correctly. Seems it gets a c; info then figures the count... so if it is getting a "0" it might not ever stop until you hit the end.

So I guess from my testing it looks like it is working correctly here, just not updating swath. Could update the script so each run it sends a "/" but Swath doesn't always update correctly off it either.... only one I ever found that it always works is sending "I" and it updates.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

I've noticed that SWATH doesn't update its turns display when colonizing or moving resources in turbo mode. But I think it is still tracking turns and will stop if you reach the turn limit for scripts. When the script stops, the display updates.

Unless something's changed recently...

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Whenever we see something like this, we really need to try to isolate the problem in raw game data, to verify if it's a problem with game output or something else. It's always possible that it's a change in TW that's causing the tool to fail. There are probably three different possible causes for an issue like this. a) TW has a bug in its output, b) TW's output has changed and broke a script or helper, or c) TW is running faster now than the script or helper can handle. Case a is the highest priority issue, but they all should be addressed.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

My guess John is speed. About the time you started updating and Stien released a new version data was flowing faster than it was previously. But the output from TWX (2.05) to Swath is overloading the buffers and corrupting data. TWX (2.05) is the main cause for a lot of the Swath issues.

Using TWX 2.05 / Win7 Configuration:
If someone doesn't believe it get a game and grid all 10K sectors and then run a fig count, watch the text as it is streaming and you will see a significant amount of garbage lines and check your Swath Map. But TWX gets all the data correctly and does count them correctly and if you run a script to verify sectors it is 100% spot on.

Then connect only Swath and it work perfect every time. I am not complaining about a product just trying to help guide where the bigger problem might be.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:30 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Well, let's slow things down.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:
Well, let's slow things down.

I would rather see TWX fixed :lol:

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

actually, its swath that needs fixing, not twx. As you say twx always has the right number of figs, its swath that messes with the display. Has anyone tested the same with ZOC? I bet it works just fine as well.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Helix wrote:
actually, its swath that needs fixing, not twx. As you say twx always has the right number of figs, its swath that messes with the display. Has anyone tested the same with ZOC? I bet it works just fine as well.

H

Helix you may be correct, I am running the fig test using Putty and I can't get corrupted data to show but I am seeing it in Swath since I am running them side by side.

Swath:
9097 1 Corp Defensive 9155 1
Corp Defensive N/A
9156 1 Corp Defensive N/A

Missing quite a few sectors... I will send this to Stein for him to review.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Sure, either way would work. But if the game runs significantly faster than it did, that isn't by design, and I'd be willing to slow things down a bit. Was it really too slow with v1?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:
Sure, either way would work. But if the game runs significantly faster than it did, that isn't by design, and I'd be willing to slow things down a bit. Was it really too slow with v1?

Actually John, it’s a sysop setting. For instance, this happens to me all the time on UTW, that’s v1.03. It’s a Swath thing, Not a server thing. Stein's solution was to provide a setting to alter the speed of the text rec'ed I never use it (You set the cps you want to receive, vid would know better)

Now I am not saying that’s the issue with the missing turn thingy. I do know that most scripts are written using a space to abort the display, This sounds like an aborted display issue. We have to see what happens when Kaus runs the same script NOT aborting the display to see if the turn prompt is there.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Helix wrote:
John Pritchett wrote:

Actually John, it’s a sysop setting. For instance, this happens to me all the time on UTW, that’s v1.03. It’s a Swath thing, Not a server thing. Stein's solution was to provide a setting to alter the speed of the text rec'ed I never use it (You set the cps you want to receive, vid would know better)

Now I am not saying that’s the issue with the missing turn thingy. I do know that most scripts are written using a space to abort the display, This sounds like an aborted display issue. We have to see what happens when Kaus runs the same script NOT aborting the display to see if the turn prompt is there.

H

I had that option turned off, Now I turned it on with max 99999 and still getting same result. I am waiting to hear back from Stein.

8800 1 Corp Defensive 8834 1
Corp Defensive N/A
8835 1 Corp Defensive N/A

Still missing a chunk randomly.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Interesting to hear it's an issue with v1. I'd never heard that.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next