View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 SEO for this site 
Gameop

Unread post SEO for this site
I was just noticing this site really hasn't been optimized in any fashion. Even the basic meta tag descriptions aren't there.

I am starting to do the SEO for twarbase and I came here for a few ideas on content. Have you thought about this sites ranking on the net or possibly trying to get it noticed when someone searches for gaming on the net?

If you search tradewars, then this site is all over the place but if you search strategy games or any of the other descriptions that can be applied to twar or internet gaming, you get squat.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Admin

Unread post Re: SEO for this site
This always gets me into trouble, but I actually don't feel that the game, right now, has a lot of potential to attract new players. If we get to a point where I think this game can be played in a way that will appeal to a more broad audience, I'd be interested in promoting it more. But for now, I feel like bringing in people who don't know what TW is will just turn them off to TW, whereas those who know what it is may feel that it's changed, but they'll still remember it for what it was when they played, and they may still play it on their own where they can control how it's played. So I'm content with the main draw being from those who already know TradeWars as opposed to people who are interested in strategy gaming in general. For now.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Yup. It's gonna get you in trouble alright. lol.

When I started playing Twar it had way more issues than it does now. The draw isn't whether the game is a perfect text game but the fact that it can take people back to a time when the internet was in it's infancy. It's a great way to relive the past.

Now for the bad stuff. The new generation (post TV) may never play this game. It's the baby boomers that will come back around and give it another go. The TV crowd (as I like to call them) had patience. The patience required to sit through commercials and long drawn out stories, the patience to wait up to a week for a message to be delivered through Fidonet. The patience to interact with a BBS on a 2400 baud modem in IRC style chat rooms and playing Mud and Door games all day and all night for weeks (and sometimes months) at a time.

The new generation doesn't watch TV. They get their fix by watching 30 second flash videos on YouTube, texting at the speed of light (have you seen how fast a teenage girl can write a book on a blackberry?) and playing games where ping rates are the only thing between life and death in massive (and I do mean MASSIVE) virtual world online games.

Now having said that and possibly destroying any perceived hope you had for the game, I am going to change up on you. If there is to be any hope for the future of this game, getting it out there and keeping it out there is of the utmost importance. You may sway a few new people and who knows, you might create some sort of weird internet cult following with it. Hell, I see people playing that ridiculous farming game endlessly on Facebook every day! Purposely hiding the game and this community under a rock will surely doom this game to a slow and painful death.

Now to even make this more drawn out, I want to finish with a question. It might sound stupid but answering it correctly will get everyone on the path to salvation if they can see the importance of it.

Do you know why I played my first game of Tradewars?

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Master Blaster wrote:
The new generation (post TV) may never play this game.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Make a helper for Android, and people will go nuts. But the game needs to be fixed up a bit first. If it becomes popular before it's ready, it'll just be a flash in the pan... like Google+.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

What's Google+ ??

(lol)

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

I would like to be able to click 'View unread posts' and then click 'Mark all posts read'.....

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

My habit is to open the forums that have new topics in new tabs, and then click "mark all forums read".

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]