View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TWX Technical Discussion (and decompiling info) 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: TWX Technical Discussion (and decompiling info)
Shadow wrote:
Isn't possible today, you mean. Anything is possible. :)

There is no current concept of returning a value, that is absolutely correct, but it is not very different from how scripts work today. They are processed in a linear order, yes, but there are gotos and gosubs and branches. Think of what he's asking for as a branch that goes to one place if the "return value" is x or another if it is y. It wouldn't be that hard.

Poor choice of words. I meant it is beyond my understanding for TWX in Delphi.

If I understand what you are saying, the compiler would just create the same byte code. i.e.

Code:
$Param1 = Command $Param2

would still compile the same as:

Code:
Command $Param1 $Param2

Giving TWX a concept of a return value, and then:

Code:
if (Command $Param1 = True)

just becomes shorthand for:

Code:
Command $Result1 $Param1
if $Result1 = True

Using an incriminating name for the $Result in the same way a label is created for waitOn.
It sounds a lot simpler now, but I still don't think I would want to attempt it in Delphi.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Micro wrote:

Code:
if (Command $Param1 = True)

just becomes shorthand for:

Code:
Command $Result1 $Param1
if $Result1 = True

Using an incriminating name for the $Result in the same way a label is created for waitOn.
It sounds a lot simpler now, but I still don't think I would want to attempt it in Delphi.

yeah, the point of my suggestion is for us programmers ease of programming/readability. So if a function call with return values at compile time = the long hand, that's fine. It's just to make code more concise/easier to use.

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:52 pm
Ambassador

Hammer_2 wrote:
yeah, the point of my suggestion is for us programmers ease of programming/readability. So if a function call with return values at compile time = the long hand, that's fine. It's just to make code more concise/easier to use.

Ultimately it all ends up being assembler code:

Code:
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Writes "Hello, World" to the console using only system calls. Runs on 64-bit Linux only.
; To assemble and run:
;
;     nasm -felf64 hello.asm && ld hello.o && ./a.out
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

global    _start

section   .text
_start:   mov       rax, 1                  ; system call for write
          mov       rdi, 1                  ; file handle 1 is stdout
          mov       rsi, message            ; address of string to output
          mov       rdx, 13                 ; number of bytes
          syscall                           ; invoke operating system to do the write
          mov       rax, 60                 ; system call for exit
          xor       rdi, rdi                ; exit code 0
          syscall                           ; invoke operating system to exit

section   .data
message:  db        "Hello, World", 10      ; note the newline at the end

Assembler code, or machine language is processor and operating system specific. It is in fact all a processor understands, so everything ends up as simple ones and zeros (I thought I saw a TWO - Bender), memory locations, registers, and a handful of mathematical commands. The processor doesn't even know it is displaying data, as it can only move data from one memory location to another (i.e. the memory of your video card). It was the first language I learned, but I wouldn't want to code in it now :)

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Micro wrote:
Assembler code, or machine language is processor and operating system specific. It is in fact all a processor understands, so everything ends up as simple ones and zeros (I thought I saw a TWO - Bender), memory locations, registers, and a handful of mathematical commands. The processor doesn't even know it is displaying data, as it can only move data from one memory location to another (i.e. the memory of your video card). It was the first language I learned, but I wouldn't want to code in it now :)

Ahh. I miss Assembler. Coolest thing I’ve ever done, during an endeavour to create my own OS, was switch my x86 into Protected Mode, and display: “Hello World” (sans INT calls.) ....Microsoft is lucky I got distracted by something shiny. Lol.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

LoneStar wrote:
Ahh. I miss Assembler. Coolest thing I’ve ever done, during an endeavour to create my own OS, was switch my x86 into Protected Mode, and display: “Hello World” (sans INT calls.) ....Microsoft is lucky I got distracted by something shiny. Lol.

I feel sorry for the guy who wrote MS-DOS, Bill Gates launched an empire off his work, and he got next to nothing for it.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Micro wrote:
LoneStar wrote:

I feel sorry for the guy who wrote MS-DOS, Bill Gates launched an empire off his work, and he got next to nothing for it.

Bills only Claim to fame is that he wrote the FAT, which ironically foreshadowed MS’s entire business model: make it work now, fix it over a decade of updates, by gradually incorporating other people’s ideas.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

Hey Shadow! Are you still working on TW? :)

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2