View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 TWX Proxy 2.05+ Source & Build Environment 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: TWX Proxy 2.05+ Source & Build Environment
T0yman wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
I would have thought that T0yman has the 2.5 source, since he worked on it along with Xanos.

Only version of TWX I worked on was the release that Maniac had made available a long time ago. I think you mean MOMBot..... not TWX :wink:

Oh yeah.. sorry. :) You did good!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Quote:
an argument started over version numbers and the group broke up

this... sounds depressingly real... :P

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:49 pm
Commander

Kaus wrote:
Given EP has exclusively supported 2.05 you may or may-not get the source for his additions regardless of GPL.

Given that TWX is GPL, EP is legally required to release the source of his modifications along with the binary. (Unless he has some special licensing agreement with Exide that doesn't involve the GPL...)

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Commander

typh00n wrote:
Kaus wrote:
Has EP been reluctant to share the 2.05 source?

I don't know if he's reluctant or he just forgot, but I asked for it a couple years ago.

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Looks like he had it freely available at some stage from his webpage. As well as a bucket load of info on compiling it, getting an IDE etc.

See:

http://www.twxscripts.com/default.aspx?PageID=3

The SVN link didn't work when I clicked on it with a browser. Which might just be a reflection of the age/lack of interest. I also just skim read this thread so apologies if someone else posted this ahaha

The google code link early was also had "ep" in it, so that might be one of his versions as that could very well stand for Elder Prophet.

He seems to be very giving in the past so perhaps a PM might get his attention quicker.

On another note:

Anyone know how to tell what version of TWXProxy you are using?
I have an issue where it never shows dead ends in the database (not an issue as I've written my own script + have SWATH)
And the database never logs anomalies; so I manually have to keep track of those for limpet clearing/avoiding.

I thought about getting the source myself to fix those issues. However have no idea if I'm even using the latest version :)

Cheers,

Hammer

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:29 am
Ambassador

Here's 2.05, it works with Win 7 & Win 8. - NOT source.

Attachments:
twxproxy-205.zip [477.4 KiB]
Downloaded 563 times

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW
Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

I ran nmap against svn.twxscripts.net, which is an alias for mail.crosslinkconsulting.net. I don't think svn is running there anymore.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Mongoose wrote:
Kaus wrote:
Given EP has exclusively supported 2.05 you may or may-not get the source for his additions regardless of GPL.

Given that TWX is GPL, EP is legally required to release the source of his modifications along with the binary. (Unless he has some special licensing agreement with Exide that doesn't involve the GPL...)

Not to nitpick, but GPL doesn't mean anything unless you have the means and motivation to make it a problem for the offender. Eitherway EP has never struck me as that kinda dude, and I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. Like JP I'm sure he is just busy.

As a aside I had 2.05 source somewhere, if I remember I will look deeper on my NAS to see if I can find it for everyone.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:04 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Kaus wrote:
Not to nitpick, but GPL doesn't mean anything unless you have the means and motivation to make it a problem for the offender.

True. And even if you have the means and the motivation, you still can't do anything without legal standing. The only person who could sue someone for violating the GPL as it applies to TWX is the copyright holder, i.e., Exide himself. That's why the FSF asks software developers to not only release their software under the GPL, but to assign copyright to the FSF so they can go after violators on the author's behalf.

To be clear, I also doubt any malice on EP's part. He's probably just busy.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Hey guys, I'm alive and well. My 16 year-old son was diagnosed with cancer in October, and life's priorities are different these days. He's doing really well, but we're in the hospital several weeks each month, which has left little time to the pursuit of this hobby. If anyone is truly interested in this story, you can PM me for his Caring Bridge page. Be advised though, it nakedly portrays our Christian values.

My feelings about this thread are mixed. Thanks for those supporting comments, and I'll avoid rereading the lukewarm ones. But they did hurt a little. A few weeks without a response shouldn't cast such doubt on my 12-year (WOW) track record here.

Yes, I should make the source readily available again. But each time I begin, I get bogged down in trying to make the script.html file properly reflect the updated list of commands and constants. What I'd like is some industrious supporter to write an app (like the Chapter 1 contact card example in many programming books) that let's me enter all of the commands and constants, their syntax and examples and then formats the output into the script.html file. Any takers?

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
1st Sergeant

Elder Prophet, I am very sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis. I can only imagine how difficult of a time this is for you and your family. I'm glad to know you have faith in Christ as your foundation.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I hope you don't take too much seriously/personally. As they say, Haters are gonna hate. If they don't accept/understand your reasons then that's their problem, not yours.

As far as helping with the app, I'd love to help! I don't have much experience with coding and such things, but I can put together some very basic tools if that'll help you out. If you don't mind a lot of questions, and some potentially slow/clunky development, I think I can handle the task!

BTW, have you ever been affiliated with Cyberspace BBS, in Michigan?

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. -Pericles

You can find my server at 166.62.32.246:23. Look forward to seeing you there!

(Still trying to get the domain name working right, but the IP address is solid!)

Always looking for feedback and improvement! Send me a PM with comments/suggestions, please!

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:54 am
Commander

It might be possible to write an app that extracts that info from comments in the source.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

ElderProphet wrote:
Hey guys, I'm alive and well. My 16 year-old son was diagnosed with cancer in October

EP, sorry to hear about the recent diagnosis and my portion of doubt thrown your way.

Certainly wasn't my intent.

All the best

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

ElderProphet wrote:
Hey guys, I'm alive and well. My 16 year-old son was diagnosed with cancer in October, and life's priorities are different these days. He's doing really well, but we're in the hospital several weeks each month, which has left little time to the pursuit of this hobby. If anyone is truly interested in this story, you can PM me for his Caring Bridge page. Be advised though, it nakedly portrays our Christian values.

Ooof. That fracking sucks. Glad he's doing well and best wishes for a speedy and permanent recovery.

Quote:
My feelings about this thread are mixed. Thanks for those supporting comments, and I'll avoid rereading the lukewarm ones. But they did hurt a little. A few weeks without a response shouldn't cast such doubt on my 12-year (WOW) track record here.

This is on me. Sorry.

Quote:
What I'd like is some industrious supporter to write an app (like the Chapter 1 contact card example in many programming books) that let's me enter all of the commands and constants, their syntax and examples and then formats the output into the script.html file. Any takers?

Sure. I'll send something over in the next few days.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2