View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mega Corping 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Mega Corping
Shadow wrote:
I have been doing this for years. Ask Farley, he has died many times because of it, though he won't admit it.

It is good strategy, but it is also an example of script use that crosses a "line". There are many lines, and now I am derailing my own thread, but I don not think Gary Martin ever intended the game to be played this way.

I am the Tony Stark of TradeWars, the weapon manufacturer (TWX Proxy), that does not necessarily approve of how scripting is being used. I don't have the ability to become Iron Man though and kill all the bad guys :)

Anyway it is not my script, and Xanos will have to figure something out. Players like you, Hammer, Xanos, and many more... love playing by the millisecond. I like to watch, but I prefer a much slower pace.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant

Unread post Re: Mega Corping
Micro wrote:
Shadow wrote:
I have been doing this for years. Ask Farley, he has died many times because of it, though he won't admit it.

It is good strategy, but it is also an example of script use that crosses a "line". There are many lines, and now I am derailing my own thread, but I don not think Gary Martin ever intended the game to be played this way.

Okay, help me out here. How exactly does that cross a line? The game was designed to allow planets to be landed and invaded. How does that cross a line any more than using planets to warp and fire fotons does? Gary Martin certainly didn't intend for that to happen, either. It's totally ridiculous to assert that stopping someone from warping planets around to fire fotons against gridders crosses a line when the foton script itself doesn't.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Should scripting be allowed in Tradewars?
Shadow wrote:
Okay, help me out here. How exactly does that cross a line? The game was designed to allow planets to be landed and invaded. How does that cross a line any more than using planets to warp and fire fotons does? Gary Martin certainly didn't intend for that to happen, either. It's totally ridiculous to assert that stopping someone from warping planets around to fire fotons against gridders crosses a line when the foton script itself doesn't.

Both scripts cross the same line, and it is my opinion that "Grid Wars" would be impossible without advanced reactive scripts, and is not how the game is intended to be played.

JP did confirm that "Shield Riding" is an intended feature, and using that strategy against a photon script is genius, but you could do it by hand.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant

Unread post Re: Should scripting be allowed in Tradewars?
Micro wrote:
Both scripts cross the same line, and it is my opinion that "Grid Wars" would be impossible without advanced reactive scripts, and is not how the game is intended to be played.

For the record, I am not a fan of "grid wars" at all - I find that style of game tedious and a form of "turtling" to avoid combat.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3