View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nearly Instant ZTM... 
Ambassador

Unread post Nearly Instant ZTM...
So, since Lonestar mentioned this in another thread... There are only approximately 4.2 billion possible Big Bangs because TW2002 uses an unsigned 32bit integer as the random seed. Assuming a Big bang takes 5 minutes (low estimate) for 5,000 sectors and you had a server farm of 1 million serves you could theoretically build a database for all possible big bangs in approximately 15 Days, but it would only be good for 5k sector universes. Since HHT is 10K sectors, it would take at least a month, and I am not quite sure how much it would cost to rent a million virtual servers, much less the time involved in setting them up.

My math may be completely off, but this sounds unfeasible to me...

But wait, most gameops just press "0" to generate a new "Random" seed, which isn't random at all. It is based on the system clock and it seems to always start around 2 billion or so. Keep hitting "0" and you can see the number is counting up... If you know what day (which is in the $ screen) when the gameop pressed "0" you could theoretically create a database of Big Bangs from a much smaller sample of "Random" seeds based on the date. Then you could simply look at the warps off say sector 10, and you would instantly know the location of stardock, rylos, and alpha centauri.

Is this suddenly feasible?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Nearly Instant ZTM...
Not feasible. Bubble settings affect the Bang results.

You need a DBase of 4Billion possibilites with, for example, Max Bubble size of 200; then you’d need another DBase of 4Billion results for Bubbles with a Maxsize of 201, etc. etc. ...and we haven’t even considered number of Gold Bubbles.

So, with so many unknown variables, all anyone can hope to do is, figure out the Bang Alogrythm.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:24 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

The warp densities would also have to be known in addition to bubble settings, but the gameop isn't likely to change these settings after the twa is published.

You wouldn't need 4 billion seeds though, if you know I used "0" to bang a game today then you might be able to calculate the seed is between i.e. 2,045,126,000 and 2131526000 and only need a database of 8,640,000 assuming milliseconds in a day is being used (I did not test this).

You would still need a server farm of 10,00 and at least 30 days.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:01 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Im thinking about posting the ztm for next years ice.. that hasn't been done in a while.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Warrant Officer

Star Killer wrote:
Im thinking about posting the ztm for next years ice.. that hasn't been done in a while.

sk

I don't get it. All the things that I find most interesting about this game are the first things people try to take out of it. Why don't we give everybody a map, location of all the Class 0's, a sector full of L6's (or at least L6 in a day), unlimited turns, unlimited credits, and just let them start shooting at each other?

BTW, hidden Stardock location wasn't at all uncommon back when I first started playing, but once ZTM became widspread there was really no point.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Deign wrote:
Star Killer wrote:

sk

I don't get it. All the things that I find most interesting about this game are the first things people try to take out of it. Why don't we give everybody a map, location of all the Class 0's, a sector full of L6's (or at least L6 in a day), unlimited turns, unlimited credits, and just let them start shooting at each other?

BTW, hidden Stardock location wasn't at all uncommon back when I first started playing, but once ZTM became widspread there was really no point.

+1

It's all about "leveling the playing field".

ROTFL

Guess what: there are people that are better than other people, there always will be, no amount of posting maps or turning off planet products or disabling good ships or otherwise making the game virtually unplayable, is going to change that fact.

But, you're speaking to the proponents of the Trade Hugs mentality, so good luck with that.

We've got Crunchers server and Vids server for the unskilled, why do we need more of them?

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Star Killer wrote:

sk

The only reason this was ever done in the past was to avoid slowdowns at game start with everyone mapping, due to the hardware requirements of running a server with many players. This was back in the days when there were multiple teams and dozens of players.

Between the increase in compute power on even the cheapest servers today, and the lack of players, there is no good reason to do this anymore.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:55 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Shadow wrote:
Star Killer wrote:

sk

The only reason this was ever done in the past was to avoid slowdowns at game start with everyone mapping, due to the hardware requirements of running a server with many players. This was back in the days when there were multiple teams and dozens of players.

Between the increase in compute power on even the cheapest servers today, and the lack of players, there is no good reason to do this anymore.

It was more about being different and having one less thing for corps to at start up... but remember the words "thinking about"....

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]