View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Totally new player with question... 
Civilian

Unread post Totally new player with question...
...so, I got talking into playing TW2002 on a BBS site. I have no idea what I'm doing for the most part other then a couple of walkthroughs I've read through. I've got the trading down well, and I've got about $150,000 in the Galactic Bank. My ship is the Merchant Freighter with 40 cargo holds - it's taken me 6 days to accumulate that money. I have a density scanner which I constantly use. And i have 40 fighters.

My question is...what do I do now? I want to start a planet, but ideally think I want the ISS ship (right?) before starting a planet. And, my alignment is only at 12 - so I'm a LOOONNNGGG way from getting the ISS.

So, does anybody have any suggestions on what the next couple of steps would be? I'd like to get more into the game; but, I'm playing with some veteran players and would prefer not to get totally stomped. Thanks in advance.

--Nate Doggg

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Totally new player with question...
Welcome Nate!

You need to work on getting more holds for your Merchant Freighter. Max the holds up to 65 ASAP that will help to increase your profits as you ppt (pair port trade). Buy a holo scanner to help to find the ideal ports.

Are you using any sort of helper like Swath yet?

Using a trading helper script you should be able to make nearly 1M credits per 1k turns. That of course depends upon port density and how active the game is. If a lot of other players are also ppt'ing it may be difficult to find a pair at 100%.

If there are any evil players in the game, go to the police station in SD and post 500k bounty on one of them. That will give you 500k alignment, then you can apply for your Federal Commission and will be granted and additional 500k alignment for the minimum necessary 1k alignment to fly the ISS and t-warp to fed space.

Expect to spend aprox. 3M for a minimally decked out ISS. Holo scanner, type 2 t-warp, full holds.

In the mean time, while you're out trading in your Merchant Freighter, make note of any 2-3 deep dead-end sectors, place some single def fighters to help you find them again later. When it is time to build a planet, you'll want to tuck it out of the way, preferably on a port that at least sells Fuel Ore.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

It sounds like he will need more help than just instructions. You probably should take him into this upcoming tournament and show him how to play. :P

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 pm
Ambassador

Big D wrote:
It sounds like he will need more help than just instructions. You probably should take him into this upcoming tournament and show him how to play. :P

What a great idea.

Nate Doggg wrote:
So, does anybody have any suggestions on what the next couple of steps would be? I'd like to get more into the game; but, I'm playing with some veteran players and would prefer not to get totally stomped. Thanks in advance.

--Nate Doggg

My suggestion for the next step is talk to the vets in the game you are in.

Next is download the TW Players Starter Pack. Ignore the programs themselves for the moment and read the docs and the tutorial files.

There are people that would be happy to answer any questions you might have. All of us have been where you are now.

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

My suggestion is to talk to one of the veteran players that know the game and request that he help train you. (WLL) Watch, Listen, and Learn. This a game that will take years to be a veteran player, and even veteran players learn new things frequently.

Edit: Actually if you are serious about sticking with the game and actually willing to learn how to play, contact me by PM and the Ground Zero permacorp will train you. We don't want to spend the time on a player that isn't interested in learning and sticking around, so please keep that in mind.

Last edited by Big D on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 pm
Veteran Op

Big D wrote:
(WWL) Watch, Listen, and Learn.

Maybe it is just me but something seems wrong with the WWL reference, like maybe it should be WLL? :lol:

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:17 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

T0yman wrote:
Big D wrote:
(WWL) Watch, Listen, and Learn.

Maybe it is just me but something seems wrong with the WWL reference, like maybe it should be WLL? :lol:

I'm sure he got the drift.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am
Civilian

Thanks everybody. Got the cargo holds. Beginning colonizing planet. We only play 70 turns per day, so it's hard to get into a real groove. But, that is my main focus right now. I did purchase a holo scanner (already had a density) - so I'm using density most of the time, and when a 40 pops up I holo scan it to see what's there. Trying to find aliens without many fighters to get my alignment up.

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:05 pm
Civilian

So, I'm about to start building my Citidel. From what I've read, I need to be very cautious until it's a Level-2. What precautions can I take while it's being built? Should I land my ship on the planet? Should I drop some mines in the sector so anyone that goes in will blow up? And, if I do, would my own mines blow ME up? Do I disperse fighters into that sector, or adjacent sectors, or what?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Nate, there have not been any responses in two weeks, so I really hope that you hooked up with one of our veterans, and you have been trained.

If so, you should be a better layer than me now.

Since I had not seen any responses, I wrote several paragraphs about beginning strategies, which I completely lost, so I will mention a few things.

I only build bases in dead-ends, preferably with at least one two-way sector between it and the rest of the galaxy. The longer that it takes someone else to find my home, the better my chances of keeping it.

Also, I only use H- and O-class planets. The former are the best at producing fuel ore and usually can produce more of it than the other planets. That means that they have stronger and longer-lasting quasar cannons and more power for ship transporters, planetary transwarp, and interdictor generators.

Ocean planets are usually the best money makers. Unless a game is edited, I do not make my own equipment.

Twenty-six groups of colonists can make two equipment on an Earth-type, but can make thirteen organics on an oceanic, which can be traded for more than thirteen equipment.

If you have the time and the money, you might consider building multiple citadels simultaneously in the same sector. You only bring in colonists once, but you shuffle them from planet to planet to meet the requirements to upgrade.

Hunting aliens can be fun, but as Cruncher said, if there are any evil players in the game, you are much better off posting bounties. Hit "L"ist by "V"alue from the computer prompt and if anyone is negative, post one thousand credits for however many alignment points you need to reach five hundred, and then apply for a commission.

Whatever aliens might have enough negative alignment to be worth noticing just might be able to kill you, but if you destroy the ship of an evil player, you can claim all of the bounties, such as the ones that you posted.

Once you have however many citadels progressing in your sector as you like, then you have options. You could try to build it up, with more colonists, fighters, etc, but remember that once you have a level II citadel, fighters are much stronger on a planet.

You could also look for a more difficult-to-find sector or group of sectors to build another base, but do not stay in your Merchant Freighter for longer than necessary. Starships are expensive, but if you can afford them, there usually is not a better ship, in almost any category.

Good luck!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Lance Corporal

Hello All, I am also totally new to TradeWars. I too have a lot of questions to be asked?

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:46 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

nabooti wrote:
Hello All, I am also totally new to TradeWars. I too have a lot of questions to be asked?

Do you have any examples of your questions?

Mon May 13, 2013 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]