View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hosting Requirements? 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Hosting Requirements?
If you are using a v2 server, the files are here:

http://www.tw2002.info/twa3.php

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post Re: Re: Hosting Requirements?
Cruncher wrote:
I really don't think you need a lot of hardware to run this game. Here's what I'm using (an old retired server from my office).

OS - WinServer 2003 SP 2
Processor - AMD 64bit 2GHz (single core)
RAM - 2GB
Storage - (2) 75 GB on a raid, using less than 30 GB total

TWGS program - 349 MB

The only thing I have on this box is TWGS, a couple of browsers, Open office and a couple of ANSI editors.

Performance is going to be enhanced with your router, I upgraded to a GB router, and just for giggles running cat 6E. My bottleneck is my cable modem.

The most number of connections I've had on at once is 12 I think, no where near the 60 you hope to get to. And I don't have any kids streaming video or downloading music or movies. I've not had any complaints about connection speeds.

I hope that helps. Welcome back to TWGS!

I purchased my own cable modem and gave comcast the boot. Saves me a $5 a month rental fee, plus I got a 3 year warranty that kicked in once the factory one expired for another $15. And because I work in IT and i cann't have any down time because of the warranty turn around time I purchased a second with the same setup.

I noticed my 6/1 internet connection jump dramatically over the cheap one they provided.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

v2.2b Server : Telnet://StevensComputerService.com:2003
TeamSpeak3 : TS3.StevensComputerService.com
FaceBook : https://www.Facebook.com/AidanTheEnforcersTwgs

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

I know this isn't exactly a heavily loaded server but i just thought i would post my performance with hosting my TWGS:

ESXi 5.1 Hypervisor

Guest:
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3 x32
CPU: 4 cores @ 3.00GHz
Ram: 768MB DDR2 1000MHz
HardDisk: 10GB Thin provisioned
All Windows Updates to Date
Auslogics Dick Defrag set to run after 15 minuted of inactivity for smooth operation.
Microsoft Security Essentials

Conclusion:

The system is completely overpowered. I plan to drop the ram down to 400MB from the 765 to save on ram usage. I also intend to drop the system down to two cores from four to free up additional resources for other VM's.

The hard disk is about the only thing i was right on about as i provisioned 10GB and the system configure as outlined above is using 5.81GB with 4.17 GB free.

I'm attaching two screen shots from vSphere of the VM's performance, the Active marker is the one you want to pay most attention to as that is the actual usage and it is disgustingly low. so low it's being measured in KB. Again mind you this is with me actually playing in a game.

Attachments:
SCS-TW2002_Ram Useage.jpg
SCS-TW2002_Ram Useage.jpg [ 282.01 KiB | Viewed 5051 times ]
SCS-TW2002_CPU Useage.jpg
SCS-TW2002_CPU Useage.jpg [ 297.39 KiB | Viewed 5051 times ]

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

You need to keep in mind that each node that is active will increase both your CPU usage and will eat up some memory. There is quite a bit of difference in usage between 1 active node and 20 active nodes. Also alien races will use a considerable amount of CPU depending on how active you have the alien races set in the configuration.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 pm
Gunnery Sergeant

Big D wrote:
You need to keep in mind that each node that is active will increase both your CPU usage and will eat up some memory. There is quite a bit of difference in usage between 1 active node and 20 active nodes. Also alien races will use a considerable amount of CPU depending on how active you have the alien races set in the configuration.

Noted, currently I only have 4 nodes and 4 games so i don's expect much. I currently have the Ferrengi set to the most active they can be just to increase load.

Once i can afford my new VM server this will have 1GB of ram so it wont be an issue what so ever.

I know I'm going to be the new guy on the block but what are some of you looking at for average simultaneous players connected?

Also i cant seem to figure out how to get into the configuration section of TWGS once i turned it into a service.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2