View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Is there any point? 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Is there any point?
Hey All,

Just getting back into TW after a looooonnnnggg break, and was never very good anyway.. :-p

Anyway, I really want to setup my own server and run a trek edit with a TON of ships. Post all the specs and have players help balance the ships for game play. Sad thing is, I do not think there are enough players out there that would play on my server.

My question is: Would it pretty much be a waste of time to futz with making a cool game and attracting players?

I have already been enjoying a game on ICE9 and was thinking about picking up a game on Toyz, but I just have this nag in my brain that wants to create like 300 starships and 20 races... lol...

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:06 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post Re: Is there any point?
right now the game cant have that many ships if i recall correctly...

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:30 pm
Staff Sergeant

haha.. I actually only have designed about 75.. I just meant I had a strong desire to try it out while my logical brain is telling me to just enjoy playing on someone elses server.. :-)

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:35 pm
Commander

drhoads wrote:
Hey All,

Just getting back into TW after a looooonnnnggg break, and was never very good anyway.. :-p

Anyway, I really want to setup my own server and run a trek edit with a TON of ships. Post all the specs and have players help balance the ships for game play. Sad thing is, I do not think there are enough players out there that would play on my server.

My question is: Would it pretty much be a waste of time to futz with making a cool game and attracting players?

I have already been enjoying a game on ICE9 and was thinking about picking up a game on Toyz, but I just have this nag in my brain that wants to create like 300 starships and 20 races... lol...

I say go for it... that would be great...

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:37 pm
Ambassador

drhoads wrote:
Hey All,

What you will find is that most players will use 4-5 ship types at most depending on the edit. But, if it is one of those things you want to do, give it a shot. It will take a while to create everything and then balance ships/planets/aliens for a turn bases or unlim based game, and that is a lot of work.

Also be aware if you release the edit in the wild, you may not recognize anything but the ship/planet/alien names along with the TWA name at some point in time.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Keep in mind that lots of aliens can cause a load on the server so the more races you have you'll need fewer aliens per race to keep from bogging things down. As Prom mentioned, in most edits there are only a few ships that get used frequently. One way to encourage the use of additional ships would be to limit the technology that is available on the ships at Stardock. For example, you could set all the ships available at Stardock to hold zero genesis torpedos and zero atomic detonators. Then give one alien race ships that can carry g-torps and give another race ships that can carry a-dets. That would encourge players to hunt aliens and bring more different ships into play.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 am
Commander

Aliens are only fun if they have better pref UNIQUE ships and better planets.

Otherwise it only adds to back story of edit and provides annoying spam in the grid.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

drHoads, there is a desire in all of us to make our thoughts come into reality. Don't let a "possible" lack of players restrict your personal desire and creativity.
I say go for it with "GUSTO!"

lol, maybe i will take the leap next.

cc bee... out

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:42 pm
Staff Sergeant

Wow!! Thanks for encouragement everyone. I think I will give it a go.
Also, Thanks for the advice. I will try and incorporate some of these ideas.

How long does a typical game last? 20-30K sectors with 2-3K turns. At what age would you want to start seeing the unique/powerful ships (better than an ISS) become available in the game?

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:28 pm
Commander

drhoads wrote:
Wow!! Thanks for encouragement everyone. I think I will give it a go.
Also, Thanks for the advice. I will try and incorporate some of these ideas.

How long does a typical game last? 20-30K sectors with 2-3K turns. At what age would you want to start seeing the unique/powerful ships (better than an ISS) become available in the game?

Well if you are looking to have a game that is going to last a while I would suggest maybe v 30 or v 60. Depending on the mod of the planets fig production etc. Maybe you should make these ships extra *hard* to capture. So when humans attack the aliens to get those sihps it is going to cost them a pretty penny. That would make things intersting using a planet help capture the alien ships also making the human more aware of his or her assets. You don't want to spend too much to take it with leaving yourself open for attack. I would suggest making it worth the while though to take it. Better holds better turns blah blah blah you get the picture. 1 thing as well if you were to do this sort of ship edit. I would think it should be something both red and blue players can have since the ISS for instance is only a Blue ship most reds are stuck with a colt for the holds and a battleship for the fig capactiy. Unless your a CEO. HOpe this helps a little for ya. Good luck!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:34 pm
Staff Sergeant

Ok, since everyone encouraged me to go for it, I finished my ship edits. I have posted a BETA ship chart at:

http://astro.temple.edu/~drhoads/twships.htm

(Don't ask me how long it took to make that chart, my wife would kill me..) haha :-) (Thanks to the person that had the stock ships online already that I could start with those and save time.)

I would love any feedback from vets on things you would change, or any comments in general.

Changes to the stock ships are highlighted in gray.

# of aliens for each race is at the bottom. I limited it to 100 aliens since the default is 50 traders and 40 Ferrengi. Will this prevent the Alien overload?

To encourage using different ships, instead of nerfing their tech, I have a col with when the ships come into the game:

Medium at 15 days
Heavy at 30 days
Borg 45 days

At each level I hope that there will be interesting ships to hunt.

All Federation ships require a commish. So you may have to go evil to get one, then come backto Blue to use it. Blues have more defensive power in general. Tholians are beefed and have interdictors. Interdictor Cruiser is beefed.

The Leviathan is supposed to be an uber col transport with twarp.

Should I bump the blue ships up more in power to Balance this? What other changes would you suggest?

I will probably make some of the alien home planets uber awesome as parrothead suggested to make them interesting to capture. I will post the planet specs once I have time to work on those.

Appreciate any input.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]