View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 TWGS Game Server 
Sergeant

Unread post TWGS Game Server
Greetings. I downloaded the TWGS server and I've installed it. I've banged the Milkyway and I can telnet to myself at 127.0.0.1. I can log in and I get the menu that as #,! and Q. But No matter what I do, I cannot get it to let me play. I know it's only a 4 minute time limit and then it times out but still, I would expect to be able to get into it and try it out. Does this program require registration to be purchased before anything else can be done with this thing?

Bilbo. :x

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: TWGS Game Server
You have a create a game before you can play it.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Sergeant

I have created a game and I've also used the tools to "BigBang" it. I completely shut down the server and started it again yet it still won't list that game when I telnet into the server.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm
Ambassador

Stop the server. Hit the configure button, what game letter is the game you banged?

Hit me up on ICQ and I will be happy to help you get it going

Helix

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

We have tutorials listed so far for new Sysops wanting to install/config a TWGS. You can see them here in our TradeWars Academy section:

http://www.outpost-4.com/tradewars/inde ... Itemid=120

Hope it helps.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:02 am
Sergeant

I've gone through the tutorials and nothing there is different from how I've got my server configured and how I've done my "A" game.

I can telnet into my server. I get menu options #, ! and Q. I've got a game as "A" configured yet I canot get into the game. It is enabled in the server. I "BIGBANGED" it for the defaults. I've got the INTRO.ANS and the DESC.ANS checked for default.

I've turned everything on that I can figure.

Could it be due to my running Vista 64-bit?

Regards.

:( :(

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:12 pm
Sergeant

Well, I have figured out that the problem is with Windows Vista. I uninstalled everything and through a couple of trials and errors, I've gotten it to work. The thing wanted to put everything into C:\Program Files (x86)\.... but I made it go to C:\EPIC INTERACTIVE STRATEGIES\... instead.

Now, it works. Something about being under the Program Files would not allow files to be written to the TW1 location.

Now the damned issue is that when I close the server and doubleclick the link to start it, I've got to give it an ok to continue.

VISTA IS A PAIN IN THE REAR! If I had the option, I'd dump this OS and go to XP but alas, that is not an issue. And, my old notebook is promised to Mom and you know what that means....

Oh well. I got it going well enough to know it works.

Regards.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:14 pm
Commander

Bilbo wrote:
I've gone through the tutorials and nothing there is different from how I've got my server configured and how I've done my "A" game.

I can telnet into my server. I get menu options #, ! and Q. I've got a game as "A" configured yet I canot get into the game. It is enabled in the server. I "BIGBANGED" it for the defaults. I've got the INTRO.ANS and the DESC.ANS checked for default.

I've turned everything on that I can figure.

Could it be due to my running Vista 64-bit?

Regards.

:( :(

Yes, Vista won't allow apps that want to write to files if they are anywhere under Program Files. I'll have to make mention of that in our tutorial.

--

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:41 pm
Private 1st Class

Thrawn wrote:
We have tutorials listed so far for new Sysops wanting to install/config a TWGS. You can see them here in our TradeWars Academy section:

Hope it helps.

Just installed on a Windows 2003 server and having the same issues... Any ideas?

Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm
Commander

bggunnz wrote:
Thrawn wrote:

Hope it helps.

Just installed on a Windows 2003 server and having the same issues... Any ideas?

Check first where your installation is. If it is C:\Program Files\... then you may have issues. Although I run W2k Adv Server, I'm not too familiar with 03 Server. If it behaves like Vista, then your TWGS may have an issue, since it requires write access to the data files.

I would suggest installing under c:\twgs or something like that, anywhere but c:\program files or c:\windows or c:\winnt. Check your server configuration to ensure the paths are pointing in the right area after your install. Also make sure that when you setup your first game, the data directory for the game also points to the right area. So in our tutorial you will see a screen and it shows the Root Directory. Another screen shows setting up a game and the Data Directory is specified. These are the two critical paths for TWGS to work.

--

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]