View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Settings for Big Bubbles 
Ensign

Unread post Settings for Big Bubbles
I was browsing around looking at posts and came across a post where someone was talking about a game at a server having some huge bubbles, I don't remember how big the biggest one they talked about was but I'm pretty sure it was over 1000 sectors. I run a local game to test scripts and I was interested when I saw this, with my settings - pretty much standard - the biggest bubbles I am getting are like 150 or so. I was wondering if it is possible to change some settings to get bigger bubbles? Or is this something gameops do manually or with an op script?

If it is possible to get bigger bubbles, is it possible to somewhat control the size of the biggest bubbles through the way you do the settings? I don't know that I would want 1000 sector bubbles (although knowing how to do this would be interesting knowledge) but bubbles over 300 or maybe even 500 might be interesting.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Settings for Big Bubbles
You can set larger bubbles in an edit by limiting the number of bubbles and the increasing size of each during the big bang process. It is possible your game had bigger bubbles but weren't detected by the bubble script you used. It's hard for some scripts to recognized those huge bubbles sense many times they contain as many as 2 or 3 smaller bubbles inside them.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:08 pm
Gameop

Not sure if you are talking about my games. Ice9 has a script that takes the maps of two smaller universes in order to make one big universe.

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm
Ambassador

One of the things to remember is the default bubble size for twx is 25 so it will not see bigger bubbles if you dont change that setting.

Helix

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Ensign

V'Ger that's a novel approach I hadn't heard of. How does it work? Does it create any problems with the game database after the 2 games are combined?

Helix, I usually set my TWX to 500 for bubbles but that's a good reminder for anyone who might be browsing this topic and they haven't done this already, good looking out. And if I set up a game trying to get big bubbles I should probably set it to 1,000 or 2,000 just to be on the safe side, so thanks for the reminder.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm
Ambassador

SteveH_66 wrote:
V'Ger that's a novel approach I hadn't heard of. How does it work? Does it create any problems with the game database after the 2 games are combined?

Helix, I usually set my TWX to 500 for bubbles but that's a good reminder for anyone who might be browsing this topic and they haven't done this already, good looking out. And if I set up a game trying to get big bubbles I should probably set it to 1,000 or 2,000 just to be on the safe side, so thanks for the reminder.

Off topic but, I would suggest you find the bubble script in the script forum. It doesn't care what the size of the bubble is for a maximum.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

SteveH_66 wrote:

The original concept and algorithm was from AnyJoe2000, but I did the TWX coding. The explanation gets wordy, but basically it works like this: I bang three games, we'll call them A, B, and C. A is 5k, B is 15k, and C is 20k (This is just an example, any size can be used as long as A+B=C). It performs some integrity checks, and prompts you for what bubble you want SD, and the Class 0s in. The script reads all of the warps in universe A and writes it to a file. It is able to figure out that the universe is 5k, so it knows when it writes the warps for script B, to add 5k to them. Once this is done, it has a file that it uses as input in constructing the warps for C. It goes through TEDIT programming in the new warps. Once it is done, it places SD and the Class 0s in the appropriate bubbles, based upon their location in A and B (for example, if you want SD in A, and Rylos in B, it places SD in its sector from A, but for Rylos, puts it in its B Sector plus 5k which is the offset). This step was added a few months ago once I got complaints about Class 0s being in dead ends and the like. It then punches a hole between the 5k bubble and the 15k, linking sector 10, and 5001. This last part works sometimes, and sometimes it hangs, I haven't been able to figure out why yet.

Most of the time it works fine, but sometimes it does not, although I have only noticed it for the hole between the two bubbles, and if I did some further tweaking with linking SD to fedspace, everything else works fine. The nav computer will use these warps in its calculations, but when you get into the sector it will not let you use them, you do not see the warps hitting D, or getting sector information. There is a way to fix it, involving changing the warps affected to sector 0, running extern, and then resetting them, and running extern again.

It is a pain in the butt to set up, and that is why I only rebang the games that use those scripts every 6 months or so...

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]