View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TWGS speed 
Commander

Unread post Re: TWGS speed
Angoth wrote:
If the pauses are indeed internal and intentional, the compiler is irrelevant as it will only run so fast.....by design.

Umm yeah. Alien/Database management would run better with say Hyper Threading. You realize that every Player and NPC has two seperate Processes (nonpserve.exe & tw2002.exe), each about 4MB. I assume you know that Instruction-sets have improved. As well, alot of the bottle-necking occurs with Database management.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
1st Sergeant

Ok, then it will reach a new limit of speed that comes closer to the internal timing delay.

Fair enough?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:57 pm
Commander

I say all this because.. if JP could be talked into doing anything.. I'm sure it would be Recompiling the TWGS with a modern compiler.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Actually, TWGS works pretty well on a modern core/multi-thread system. Maybe a little optimization would help, but it's a pascal program and you aren't going to get it to compile under anything modern anyway. And I really doubt TW can advantage of extended instruction sets, they were designed with other things in mind. If you look at the process list you'll notice that each TW node spawns as a separate app, and everything from XP on up will assign these to the least used core at the time.

This will not, however, improve internal timing for most players. The delays there are intentional, they're coded in. Recompiling them won't change that, neither will using multiple cores. The native internal timing is what you're already experiencing as the only player on a local server. That's what native feels like.

What you will improve is how the system performs under multiple users when they're doing things that tax the system. Product moves, xports, etc. TW can tax that particular core/thread to near 100%, but leave the rest of the system open. Try it, run heavy load scripts and monitor CPU usage and see how it performs across different systems. It's pretty cool.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:43 am
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

I did.

And I stumbled on the internal delay explained above. The only way to break that barrier is to remove that delay from the program. Anything else can and just might optimize everything to the point where that's the only delay.

I'm interested in a full "Plays TW by itself script" (including all decisions). I wanted to release 3-5 of these in my own game and see what happens and who would win depending on input variables per script. And I wanted it to be over in minutes so I could start another run after tweaking variables. Not so much, it seems.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:19 am
Veteran Op

Laff. There aren't any "plays TW by itself" scripts that actually work and do everything. About the closest is a world cashing script (worldSST for instance).

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Why? Is there an aritificial intelegence plan? Not sure why anyone would want to play the game by script only. That would take all the fun out of the game in my opinion. Now if you were thinking as a replacement for an alien that uses an AI then might be something to think about, but regardless, it would be a pretty intense script to do everything.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:32 am
1st Sergeant

That was exactly the plan. If I could get the AI routines up to speed, I'd bang a game with no 'Aliens', but, a corp to play against you guys. I love programming more than I do the game these days. That might change in the future, might not.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:36 am
Veteran Op

No AI corp is ever going to be competition for real players. It might be better than aliens, but not much. Competition is about adaptation. Humans just adapt better than everything else on Earth, intelligent humans even better still. Computers only do what they're programmed to. Trivial challenge.

Just ask anyone who's ever lost a planet to an afk torper...

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 am
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Sing,

Then don't do it. While I appreciate biting sarcasm from dipshits from time to time, you don't have to try doing what interests me.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:29 pm
Veteran Op

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm just trying to save you some time. It's all been done before. Before trying to write an AI to beat other players, beat them yourself.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Sarcasm - serious, whatever.

If you want to play, play your way. I'll play mine. Stop being a dick and leading with the assumption that you're right. Arrogance drips from your posts and I, for one, don't like it. I've said what I want to do and I'm going to do it. If you don't like it, go do whatever it is that you do.

When I come back with the fact that I'm going to do it anyways after your 'Laff', you come back with the smug assertion that you're trying to save me some time. It's my time. Next time, ask if someone wants your opinion. Don't lead with the idea that you're right and I should fall in line or it's a waste of my time (again, because you're right). You might not be.

See, this started with my stumbling on the internal delay timer in TWGS. I had an idea in mind. Then, when I discovered that I could only go so fast with TWGS, someone clued in on what I wanted to do. You decided your best pitch was ridicule. Fine. That's your way, apparently. But, please leave it out of threads that I start in the future. I neither want nor care about your opinion of my ideas or my implementation of them. If it escaped your notice, I'm well down the path of actually doing it or I wouldn't have stumbled on the internal timing delay with little CPU utilization.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:31 pm
Ambassador

Angoth wrote:
Sing,

Then don't do it. While I appreciate biting sarcasm from dipshits from time to time, you don't have to try doing what interests me.

Not sure why you are so defensive in regard to a post, but it would have been better received without the "dispshits" comment in a forum that is not smack talk. If you do not want opinions, I would suggest not posting because everyone will give their opinion - wanted or not.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:20 pm
Profile ICQ
1st Sergeant

It's not defensive, so much as reactive. I blew it off once, but, the 'Laff' really pissed me off as a dismissive comment followed by the rest of it. It just has a tone of finality and authority. Maybe it's been done before, but, not by me. After I blew it off, I addressed other questions and he jumps back in with 2 feet to tell me how futile it is.

So, I fired back with how I felt on the matter because it's exactly what I thought he embodied. Nothing since has changed my opinion.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:39 pm
Ambassador

Sometimes he forgets not everyone is rexx

Helix

TTW TWGS v2 twgs.ddns.net:2002
I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next