View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 New to game hosting, need help 
Lance Corporal

Unread post New to game hosting, need help
Well I say new, I hosted a tradewars game way back during the 2600 baud days. Needless to say a few things have changed. I have 2 problems I need to figure out

1) Connection speed. WHen people connect to my newly created game the connection seems sluggish. I tested it over the LAN and even it was sluggish. It is almos like the bandwidth is being restricted. If so, is there any way to fix this?

2) Custom Ships. We (my buddy and I who started this venture) made a custom ship, however when you go to buy it or examine the ship specs, it is not listed. How do you fix this?

Thanks in advance

Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: New to game hosting, need help
Quote:
1) Connection speed. WHen people connect to my newly created game the connection seems sluggish. I tested it over the LAN and even it was sluggish. It is almos like the bandwidth is being restricted. If so, is there any way to fix this?

This is tricky, as the game itself is not sluggish. The first thing I'd check is ship delay, it's in one of the menus. That will make the game feel sluggish, even tho it's technically by-design. Failing that, ping and traceroute from different networks into the twgs server and post the results. There might be a network outage or router along the way causing the problem, or perhaps some settings on the machine itself. Before you can know what it is, you have to test and narrow it down.

Quote:
2) Custom Ships. We (my buddy and I who started this venture) made a custom ship, however when you go to buy it or examine the ship specs, it is not listed. How do you fix this?

When you edit the ship look in the menus, towards the last tab option there's some settings for setting the ship to general deployment and setting it to active. If you aren't sure of the settings, look at other ships in the list that are active (and buyable) and just mimic them.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Unread post Re: New to game hosting, need help
This speed issue was the ship delay setting.

As for the ships. It is marked for general use and marked active. WHen you examined the ship specs it shows but can't buy it at stardock. We had to convert the missile freighter into this ship in order to incorporate it into the game. We had rather not do that but we couldn't figure it out.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]