View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 3.13 without TWGS? 
Sergeant

Unread post 3.13 without TWGS?
Is it possible to use the tradewars that comes with TWGS under a bbs? When I try to run the exes directly, they just sit blankly for a moment before returning to the command prompt. 3.13 has a lot of bug fixes compared to the last bbs version (3.09).

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:30 am
Ambassador

Unread post Re: 3.13 without TWGS?
cogwheel wrote:
Is it possible to use the tradewars that comes with TWGS under a bbs? When I try to run the exes directly, they just sit blankly for a moment before returning to the command prompt. 3.13 has a lot of bug fixes compared to the last bbs version (3.09).

You can run it under a BBS, but I don't think without the TWGS. One person recently posted a game rebang that runs under a bbs ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21620 ). The how-to is something I know nothing about, but hopefully someone will post that part. What BBS software are you running? Someone may have specifics for whatever you are using.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 am
Profile ICQ
Sergeant

I was thinking of using synchronet. I'm pretty sure it would be able to run TW via a local telnet connection, but then it would still have the same limitations as TWGS (i only have the lite version).

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 am
Commander

You can run TradeWars under a BBS, but it is not the files under the TWGS you use. You have to install the DOS version of TradeWars and set it up as a "door" for your BBS users to access.

If you run a TWGS, you can have your BBS users go to the TWGS. BBS software, such as Synchronet, have no issues with either the DOS version or TWGS.

If you are planning to use Synchronet and have an issue, let me know. I run the DOS version of TradeWars, TWGS, and Synchronet BBS.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:25 am
Sergeant

Thrawn wrote:
You can run TradeWars under a BBS, but it is not the files under the TWGS you use. You have to install the DOS version of TradeWars and set it up as a "door" for your BBS users to access.

If you run a TWGS, you can have your BBS users go to the TWGS. BBS software, such as Synchronet, have no issues with either the DOS version or TWGS.

If you are planning to use Synchronet and have an issue, let me know. I run the DOS version of TradeWars, TWGS, and Synchronet BBS.

That's my whole point... The dos version stopped being updated at 3.09. So essentially my 2002 reg code is useless unless I want a buggy, 11-year-old version, or unless I want to pay an extra $25 for the privilege of using the current version with their own proprietary software...

I'm not as bitter as it may sound, but it's still a bit annoying.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 am
Veteran Op

You can use the twgs software and route your users through the bbs software 1st if you don't want them telneting directly to the twgs. Just configure the twgs port for local use only and route users through the bbs port.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:47 am
Sergeant

Right, but then I'm still limited by the TWGS node limit.

Here's my point... I have a TW 2002 code that I bought years ago. It gave me the impression that I'd have access to all future versions. However, in order to use the current versions I'm now required to purchase an additional piece of hosting software. I ended up with a TWGS lite code I think when I upgraded from 0.98 reg to v2 reg (or something like that... my memory's a bit hazy). But the 4 node limit is getting a bit annoying.

I'm just wondering if this is the intended effect or if there's something I'm missing. :?:

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:32 pm
Veteran Op

cogwheel wrote:

Here's my point... I have a TW 2002 code that I bought years ago. It gave me the impression that I'd have access to all future versions. However, in order to use the current versions I'm now required to purchase an additional piece of hosting software. I ended up with a TWGS lite code I think when I upgraded from 0.98 reg to v2 reg (or something like that... my memory's a bit hazy). But the 4 node limit is getting a bit annoying.

I'm just wondering if this is the intended effect or if there's something I'm missing. :?:

I don't know what the Lite Version node limit is, but I know the full twgs version will allow much more than that. 100 or more I belive. I know you can run 50 active nodes from previous experience.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 am
Commander

The Lite version is max 4 nodes
the full version is max 100 nodes.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Commander

cogwheel wrote:

You are not missing anything. I too upgraded from v2 reg to a TWGS lite code. 4 nodes only available was not feesible on our synchronet bbs with minimum 10 nodes being used. I did not forsee hosting a TWGS at the time of geting the lite version, but eventually switched to the TWGS for the bug fixes compared to the DOS version. I had to then reg for the full version.

--

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am
Site Admin

I've been doing some looking around because a customer just told me that he's running the TWGS version of TradeWars without TWGS, which is not a legitimate use of the software, and probably a hack. I came across this thread, and thought I'd point out to anyone complaining that they have to buy TWGS to get the latest version of TradeWars, it may seem like an inconvenience, but the reality is, the only reason I developed any new versions of TradeWars was the prospect of selling TWGS to existing TradeWars customers. Believe it or now, there aren't a lot of new customers lining up to order this early 90s BBS door game. So if not for TWGS revenue, v3.09 would be the last version, period. If you want to benefit from the work I've done on TW since then, you shouldn't begrudge me the cost of TWGS, which is $25 for 4 nodes, or $45 for 100 nodes. If TradeWars doesn't mean enough to you to justify that cost, then why are you still running it after 20 years?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Dude this is 6 months old. Ho Dat! for paying attention!

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

I don't think it's the money the guy is concerned about. I doubt anyone here really begrudges you any money you're due, JP.
There are probably plenty of cheapskates on the net as a whole, but a forum like this is different.

It's just that some people prefer a cohesive BBS interface and would like to offer multiple games within a single interface.
And when setting that up, the first idea is usually "hey, can I just run the DOS version of this?"

That particular question does come up ever-so-often. There's a FAQ floating around somewhere for getting it to work w/
synchronet.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Singularity wrote:

That particular question does come up ever-so-often. There's a FAQ floating around somewhere for getting it to work w/
synchronet.

Nod. It's in the documentation for Synchronet. You can either configure Synchronet to use the DOS version, or use the Telgate feature to go from the BBS to a TWGS.

Cheers

--

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 pm
Site Admin

Thrawn, you're running out of time for your next move, bud! This endgame is going to take about two months at this rate :(

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next