View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A Central TWGS Server 
Veteran Op

Unread post A Central TWGS Server
I've been contemplating an idea. SG asked in a thread some time ago about what everyone thought about an official EIS server. As you all know that idea sort of died. The problem today is getting more players on individual servers to one game or one server for competition because of the abundunce of twgs servers and the lack of players. Each sysop likes to provide certain games and each have thier idea of what a server should be set up as. What if there were a central server, (high speed and fast of course), that provided 30 games or so, where a number of game-ops would divide the games up and only have access to games designaeted for that game-op? For instance, one head sysop that just watched over all the game-ops, and maybe ten game-ops with three games each. The head sysop would need to set the globals and the passwords for each game-op and each game op would monitor any rules designated for that game and report the need for rebangs to the head sysop. Just an idea, and if you have any ideas or comments, just keep them to yourself. lol Just kidding, post them here. --->

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:15 am
Gameop

Unread post Re: A Central TWGS Server
It is an interesting concept, although I can see certain issues that may arise. For example, ICE9 uses quite a few proprietary TEDIT scripts to make its games run, and I would be hesistent to have those somewhere other than my box at this point in time. Also, each sysop has a different view on certain variables which are global to all games, such as days until deletion. I use a 30 day window, I believe UTW uses 365, and other may use under 30 days. The next issue would be the cost, I currently run ICE9 through standard FIOS home internet, so operating cost is low. For the type of server that you are describing, it most likely be necessary to have almost a business quality connection if not better. This would introduce a monthly operating cost for the TWGS, which I think would turn many sysops off to the idea.

It is an interesting idea, but I think there is a lot of details that could bog it down from ever happening.

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:36 am
Veteran Op

Yes, this server would need to be on a T1 or T3 connection and have the best speed server available. There are many Sysops out there that can provide this. Many sysops have shut down thier servers not because of the cost, but because of lack of intrest by players. I had Silver Wings on a T3 ISP connection at one time, but the lack of intrest didn't justify the cost. I can mention several others such as Eleq, Stonewall, River Rat, etc... As far as the global settings, I think the majority agree that no delays is best since the only reason for delays is to protect the CPU and bandwidth. The type server I'm suggesting probably wouldn't have much problem handling no delays as I've played on many servers that are made for the job. Some of the other globlal settings would just have to be agree'd upon by the sysop and game-ops. As far as deletion time, it's not really important as long as it set more than 7 days, because if a player isn't in the game within seven days, he's not really interested in the game anyway. The brunt of the cost would need to be taken care of by the head sysop, (possibly JP), but the game-ops could pay a monthly cost to host thier 3 games. This could actually be less cost individually, considering the alternative is to pay and host thier own private server. Another benefit is we would only need to pay for one redirect host and name. We just don't have the players we need for 10 or 20 different servers and all of could play on this server even the game-ops just as long as it wasn't one of the games they were hosting. We'd have good competition and enjoy the game much more in my opinion.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm
Gameop

Sounds like a pretty good idea, but what about the co-sysops that wanted to play? Would they be allowed in to the other sysops game, just not there own, or not able to play in any of them? Seems like this could be a good solid plan if people are willing to make it work. Id love the fact that more players would be on one twgs and not 30. Then again id doubt that you would be able to get some people to leave there "home" twgs.

HHT 2020

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

I'll have to double check, but I believe you can limit access for remote log in to certain games. If so, there would be no reason that a certain game-op couldn't play in other games that aren't his own. One thing I'm not certain of is what access the game op would have to the server itself. I'll check into it.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:56 pm
Gameop

Well if that isnt an option one could always have a regular sysop and co-sysop and "host" other players games/edits. That would be a nice idea. If you have have one sysop for a couple of games that would be cool, but you dont want to have more then a couple of sysops for total control other wise you will end up with too many bosses and not enough workers.

HHT 2020

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:13 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]