View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 A Problem 
Gameop

Unread post A Problem
It was just recently pointed out to me that I am running an older version of TWGS. Apparently I set the thing up from an old file and have tw version 3.11.55. I want to upgrade it to ver 3.13 without trashing the system and starting over.

I looked at the files and it appears that I might be able to accomplish it by stopping the server, exiting TWGS, and replacing the .EXE files with the newer ones. The other files don't appear to have been changed in a long time. My hope is that the game data files are compatible with both 3.11.55 and 3.13. I couldn't find anything around here that dealt with this issue. Have any of you guys tried to do this?

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:35 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: A Problem
Tark wrote:
It was just recently pointed out to me that I am running an older version of TWGS. Apparently I set the thing up from an old file and have tw version 3.11.55. I want to upgrade it to ver 3.13 without trashing the system and starting over.

I looked at the files and it appears that I might be able to accomplish it by stopping the server, exiting TWGS, and replacing the .EXE files with the newer ones. The other files don't appear to have been changed in a long time. My hope is that the game data files are compatible with both 3.11.55 and 3.13. I couldn't find anything around here that dealt with this issue. Have any of you guys tried to do this?

Seems like there is a problem doing that, but don't really remember (not much help). I would run a backup and try it on another computer to see what happens, but then you also run the risk of it appearing to be fine and then having issues. Personally, I would post a rebuild date and start fresh. That is provided someone doesn't know for certain that there would be no issues.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:28 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Quote:
would run a backup and try it on another computer to see what happens, but then you also run the risk of it appearing to be fine and then having issues. Personally, I would

I set up 3.11.55 on another machine, went into a game, created a character, went to Stardock, then to Sector 1, trading all the way, then quit. Stopped TWGS, removed all .EXE files and replaced them with .EXE files in TWGS10300.ZIP, and restarted. Everything worked and looked perfect (actually, the desktop shortcut wouldn't work), but I still don't trust it. I think I may just stay with the old version till I have a compelling reason to change it.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 am
Lieutenant Commander

an interesting side effect of vers. 3.11.55 is that the server won't reply to a sent #145 with a couple newlines and a #145 & #8. That was implemented in later versions...

result is those scripts that 'prompt check' using the send #145 and waitfor #145 & #8 will hang and not even really load. .ts versions can be altered easily..but this will be a problem for those who can't do without m()m :shock:

anyone see a workaround for this? or heh, just don't use dem scripts? (quite a few decent ones...)

this is perhaps one way to prevent certain scripts I suppose...

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:48 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

No way around it that I know of it... just one of the downsides to using the #145 trick.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

For us ignorant people new to the scripting world, what is the #145 trick?

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Lieutenant Commander

from http://www.eisonline.com/twgs/beta/

New: Added an experimental global to help scripts and helpers verify the active prompt. Using the extended character ascii 145, a script or helper can tell TW to redisplay the active prompt, followed by the same ascii character, #145. The result of issueing a #145 will be two newlines, followed by the prompt, followed by ascii 145 and a backspace. In some cases, there will be additional dynamic information following the ascii 145, so it is not guaranteed that the 145 will be at the end of the prompt line.

IMPORTANT: This is experimental. Do not integrate this fully into your scripts or helper until it has been verified to be effective and locked in as a feature

an example.. ok, from Dnyarri's CitKilla - v1.1 release.
Code:
# Check the current prompt.
:promptify
send #145
waitFor #145 & #8
getWord CURRENTLINE $prompt 1
stripText $prompt #145
stripText $prompt #8
if ($prompt <> "Citadel")
     send "'[Dnyarri's Citkilla]: Cannot load from this prompt!*"
     halt
end

this help any?

ps .ts workaround, work currently in testing..
Code:
# Check the current prompt.
:promptify
send "/"
waitFor "(?="
getWord CURRENTLINE $prompt 1
stripText $prompt #145
stripText $prompt #8
if ($prompt <> "Citadel")
     send "'[Dnyarri's Citkilla]: Cannot load from this prompt!*"
     halt
end

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

I don't think that "/" repeats the prompt (thought it used some funky ansi trick), but you can try it. I used to use:

Code:
send "*"
waitFor "(?="

Which works fine. MD and them use ^Q and got the prompt from the CIM close.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Crosby wrote:
result is those scripts that 'prompt check' using the send #145 and waitfor #145 & #8 will hang and not even really load. .ts versions can be altered easily..but this will be a problem for those who can't do without m()m :shock:

anyone see a workaround for this? or heh, just don't use dem scripts? (quite a few decent ones...)

this is perhaps one way to prevent certain scripts I suppose...

An idea comes to mind. though I haven't tested this cause I don't know who's hosting a v3.11 server. I would probably make a system Script something like:

Code:
systemscript
:And_Again
setTextTrigger Prompted :Prompted #145
pause
:Prompted
send "^q"
waiton ": ENDINTERROG"
processout #145 & #8
goto :And_Again

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:24 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Lieutenant Commander

well, it's Tark who has the 3.11.55 version running (umm see above thread, no link necessary) over on bluelobster.dyndns.org:2002

m()m bot is running ok ( which is one .cts i thought would hang, go figure ) and am using dny_planet_vacuum.ts for testing. seems to still be waiting for the 'ae' squiggle. (#145)

As for the .ts fix : changing the send from #145 to "/" works ok, I'm sure the send "*" is cleaner but will give same result. I Do like LS's approach so I don't have to duplicate a bunch of scripts for those rare times when I find an oddball version..

testing continues.

Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Crosby wrote:
well, it's Tark who has the 3.11.55 version running (umm see above thread, no link necessary) over on bluelobster.dyndns.org:2002

I must be going blind, cause I don't see that addy anywhere other than your reply, and in my reply to your reply :lol:

Anyhoot. if it works, it can be added to the Auto-Run TAB in twx, so that it'll start every time TWX is loaded.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]