View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 TWX Proxy - Hosted.... 
Ensign

Unread post TWX Proxy - Hosted....
Totally hypothetical.... But...

:Issues
I live in uk, my ping times suck...
Any dial-up users... same problem (Zarkahn and erm... there must be someone else hehe) :wink:

:Solution
Host TWX Proxy "Remotely" on a fast server in the USA (if possible, with the same ISP that the TWGS is hosted on...) then login to remote TWX to play....

I've tried it, using 2 pc's and it works fine. Obviously no "right-click" to access the scripts etc...
but all works with $sd (list scripts) and $ss (load script) and m()m works fine as always!!

Would it be classed as cheating??

Would the scripts run faster?? I think they would. (TSST, PDrop, Plock... etc...)

As i said... hypothetical... If only TWX was more secure (and shell account were cheaper) lol

I'm a TW and #SD# ing you was my idea!

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.~ J.T.Kirk

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - Hosted....
NjoY wrote:
Totally hypothetical.... But...

:Issues
I live in uk, my ping times suck...
Any dial-up users... same problem (Zarkahn and erm... there must be someone else hehe) :wink:

:Solution
Host TWX Proxy "Remotely" on a fast server in the USA (if possible, with the same ISP that the TWGS is hosted on...) then login to remote TWX to play....

I've tried it, using 2 pc's and it works fine. Obviously no "right-click" to access the scripts etc...
but all works with $sd (list scripts) and $ss (load script) and m()m works fine as always!!

Would it be classed as cheating??

Would the scripts run faster?? I think they would. (TSST, PDrop, Plock... etc...)

As i said... hypothetical... If only TWX was more secure (and shell account were cheaper) lol

Scripts would definately run faster using this method.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 pm
Veteran Op

If you can find someone willing to host it, yes you can do this. I don't know if you can do it under wine on a linux box, but you can get a windows hosting box from any number of places ($100 or so a month, maybe a bit more) and logmein/RA in w/o any problem. I seriously doubt a shell account will give you the resources you need, they're pretty stingy and oversold.

Keep in mind that remote access TWXproxy is read only, so you can't just swath/telnet/zoc into the twxproxy server. That's one of the "I wish we had" features tho. If you use logmein you can still use your hotkeys.

Does this really help your ping? Well sure, for stuff like torping. But it won't improve your reaction time, so you're still going to get owned.

Cheating? No. You're still limiting yourself to 1 account aren't you?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant

Quote:
you're still going to get owned.

what who where?
who Owns me.. oh Sing... ok, I'll agree with that... heh heh
he surly wins out... and he says ping doesn't matter... bah...

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

That's because ping only matters if everything else is taken out of the equation. Take your average turns game, some guy starts gridding, so you counter-pgrid. They start chasing you, you pgrid into them and fire off an invasion macro to moth and drain their planet. Of course there's a good counter to that, so once you take prepared scripts out of the equation, or take someone into unfamiliar territory... your brain's lag matters more than your ISP's.

Or like when ppl only play truce games because they can't think fast enough to get away from a simple lawnmow killer... ;) You're busy cashing, some guy mows in to kill you... so why not turn that around, cash for a bit, then switch to slower fighits with a backup ship in tow. They come in, you double xport attack and blamo... dead they go. Not in the mood to kill or want some leverage? Move, drop lots of figs and setup an xport trigger. They warp in, kill your figs, just as you xport to safety... only problem is, they're now deep blue and can't cash for anything.

Or how I love when ppl run class 0 based cashing scripts... so many ways to make them dead.

I was in a game not long back where the enemy corp was torping from an unshielded planet and refilling their torps as they went. A little 2-ship gridding and their planet ran out of ore, photon-invade, kill the 3 ppl on the planet and stole their bank.

There's a good reason why K3 still won most of his games even on dialup. Allow a little creativity in a game and see what ppl w/ bad pings can really do, I bet you'd be surprised.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ensign

Yeah i agree with ya there Sing.
But it's not just offense and defense.
Ive tested it out with corpies using same scripts as me and they cash and grid more than i can.
A lot more!! (Esp. in an unlim over 24 hrs)

I'm a TW and #SD# ing you was my idea!

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.~ J.T.Kirk

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Only in a truce unlim, laff. Drop figs on the road to the class 0 and watch their "fast ping" turn them blue. Switch to a turns game and ping time ends up being largely irrelevant on cashing, or get a smarter world cashing script (or gridding script) and you can factor out a lot of the lag.

Ping only matters when you take everything else out of the equation. It's the lowest common denominator of the game. It'll matter if you're trying to ptorp or plock someone, but there's more than 1 way to skin that cat. I've seen a lot of people with worse pings outgrid and outcash me, and I've beaten plenty of people with "magic pings" of under 150 after being told they couldn't be beaten. Ping makes a convenient excuse for losing tho, but that's all it ever is.

If your strategies are based around this LCD, then yes it'll matter. And yes using a hosted twxproxy will dramatically improve your ping provided it's on good bandwidth. Many times shell providers oversell their bandwidth, and half the time it's nothing more than someone w/ a linux box running on a cable modem or home FIOS anyway. But there are hosted solutions (1&1, theplanet, etc) that work differently.

You can rent a co-located machine on a good backbone if you want to spend the $100 a month to do so. You could also hack together an interim proxy... a service running on the machine that listens at a port (and has a password) and redirects to localhost TWXproxy. Why would you do that? Because then you could locally zoc/swath into the box and operate things like before... with all of the hotkeys you're used to. Your total ping would still stink, but anything you have running on the remote machine would get a serious ping boost (like a ptorper, pdropper, casher, gridder, whatever). Or you could use a remote login like logmein to accomplish the same goal.

But at the end of the day... unless all you do is play unlim truces, count your cash, then quit when the truce ends... it's not going to really matter. The "playing the LCD" mentality will still get ya killed.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]