View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 ? 
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Hello all
I have a ? what is the suggest hardware and specs for TWGS I am running a Intel 2.6mhz with a gig of ram  let me know thanks

tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers
cscnet1.com:2500
eacentral.com:9987
eacentral.com:2409

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:41 pm
Commander

Unread post 
System specs you listed are fine. I run two TWGS. One is on an Athelon 2.7 GHz with 2x 120 GB Serial Drives and 1 GB RAM. The other server is on a 750 MHz with 512 MB RAM.

Make sure that the system you run your TWGS is not responsible for running other services. For example, it's not a good idea to use the machine to run TWGS, and run mail, web, etc. If you run multiple services requiring connection to the Net, you will find it may slow down your TW connection. Some users have a fast Net connection and can handle multiple services. There are many variables when running any web app like a TWGS, BBS, etc. Just have to know your machine, it's limits, connection, etc.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
ok Maybe I need to move it to it own server then right now I have it on the same System as my BBS and it is running Wildcan Winserver with web and mail and telnet and everything else the WC needs maybe I can put TWGS on its own system and and try to just worward the port from this one to the other one or should I just leave it where it is maybe someone here can log into my server and see how it runs from the out side and I can go from there

tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:30 am
Veteran Op

Unread post 
tbarlow wrote:
ok Maybe I need to move it to it own server then right now I have it on the same System as my BBS and it is running Wildcan Winserver with web and mail and telnet and everything else the WC needs maybe I can put TWGS on its own system and and try to just worward the port from this one to the other one or should I just leave it where it is maybe someone here can log into my server and see how it runs from the out side and I can go from there

tbarlow

If you really want it to be fast, a dedicated server is a must, and you'll need 1 gig to 2 gig of RAM,  and it's best run on at least a 2 gig processor.
Dual processors would be the ticket.
Oh,  you'll need at least a cable or dsl high speed connection. I suggest it not be ran on satalite broadband for 2 reasons, one it has an initial delay and not good for gaming. and two, it sucks if you have bad weather.  As they say, you need a "clear" view of the southern sky. lol

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 am
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I dont have satellite based internet.. but I did hear it does suck for "twitch style" games, im assuming like TW where we need to react quickly...

anyone have any first hand experience?

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post 
tbarlow wrote:

tbarlow

I ran my BBS along with my TWGS and it was fine. My web and mail were on their own machine until the machine died. Now I run my 2 Ghz as a dual server- meaning it loads my TWGS and VGA Planets; it also runs VMWare which houses my web and mail.

All I was trying to suggest is not have too many services that require ports or you will have socket errors, as I had this experience first hand. You may find that it runs fine, depending on how many games are online, # nodes active, and if the other "services" are being accessed. There are a lot of variables to watch when running services for others to use/play/etc. Internet Connection is another. Cable is fine, but it works on the "pie theory", meaning your area is this piece of pie and you have a slice for your connection. The more users in your area on cable connect, the smaller your piece is. I have been on both ADSL and cable, and so far cable is best for our needs.

So the best thing to do is examine where you want your TWGS to be in a couple of years and go from there. If you can have your TWGS on it's own machine with little to no cost to you, then by all means do that. Then as Big D said, it will make a huge difference having a dedicated machine for TW.

--

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Big D wrote:
tbarlow wrote:

tbarlow

If you really want it to be fast, a dedicated server is a must, and you'll need 1 gig to 2 gig of RAM,  and it's best run on at least a 2 gig processor.
Dual processors would be the ticket.
Oh,  you'll need at least a cable or dsl high speed connection. I suggest it not be ran on satalite broadband for 2 reasons, one it has an initial delay and not good for gaming. and two, it sucks if you have bad weather.  As they say, you need a "clear" view of the southern sky. lol

Hi Big D
Thanks ya I know Sat sux I am on the hights DSL I can get in my area 7MB and it is fastright now the TWSG is on a 2.6GHZ system with 1GB of ram but it also runs my BBS I am trying to figure out how much CPU my BBS runs thanks for the info
tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:49 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Muss wrote:
I dont have satellite based internet.. but I did hear it does suck for "twitch style" games, im assuming like TW where we need to react quickly...

anyone have any first hand experience?

Hi Muss
Yes there right Sat Sux I had some friends that had it and it was VERY VERY Bad thanks for the reply
tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Thrawn wrote:
tbarlow wrote:

tbarlow

I ran my BBS along with my TWGS and it was fine. My web and mail were on their own machine until the machine died. Now I run my 2 Ghz as a dual server- meaning it loads my TWGS and VGA Planets; it also runs VMWare which houses my web and mail.

All I was trying to suggest is not have too many services that require ports or you will have socket errors, as I had this experience first hand. You may find that it runs fine, depending on how many games are online, # nodes active, and if the other "services" are being accessed. There are a lot of variables to watch when running services for others to use/play/etc. Internet Connection is another. Cable is fine, but it works on the "pie theory", meaning your area is this piece of pie and you have a slice for your connection. The more users in your area on cable connect, the smaller your piece is. I have been on both ADSL and cable, and so far cable is best for our needs.

So the best thing to do is examine where you want your TWGS to be in a couple of years and go from there. If you can have your TWGS on it's own machine with little to no cost to you, then by all means do that. Then as Big D said, it will make a huge difference having a dedicated machine for TW.

Hi Thrawn
Thanks for the Reply Umm I run Windcat Winserver witch has the Web, E-Mail, Telnet, FTP , everything Built in to one system the system that it runs on isn't bad it is a 2.6 GHZ with 1GB ram  what do U think is the a ok system to run TWGS and my BBS or should I move TWGS to another system linked off of the BBS and just forward ports to it?
tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 pm
Commander

Unread post 
If you are using the machine for just the BBS and TWGS, you should be fine. It's when you also run a web server to host sites, DNS, FTP, etc then you will want a second machine.

--

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:10 pm
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
ok so I should be ok then the BBS has all the stuff built into it so I guess I should have to worry about it thanks for the info

tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:43 pm
Commander

Unread post 
No problem. Just remember if your BBS has 20 active nodes and your TWGS has 20 active nodes, it may slow both down. The machine can handle the software, but it's how it handles the processes during connection. You may find that 10 players on the TWGS are doing ok and 10 login to the BBS and it slows down. It may not slow down. You will have to monitor it and adjust accordingly. I found that my TWGS took higher # nodes than the BBS did (TWGS was set to 30 nodes and BBS to 10). It was a good balance and I run Synchronet. I disabled the mail portion of the BBS, as well as the FTP. This way all the BBS did was the web interface, telnet, door games. Kept my processes low so the TWGS could run at a good pace.

--

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:35 am
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Thrawn wrote:
No problem. Just remember if your BBS has 20 active nodes and your TWGS has 20 active nodes, it may slow both down. The machine can handle the software, but it's how it handles the processes during connection. You may find that 10 players on the TWGS are doing ok and 10 login to the BBS and it slows down. It may not slow down. You will have to monitor it and adjust accordingly. I found that my TWGS took higher # nodes than the BBS did (TWGS was set to 30 nodes and BBS to 10). It was a good balance and I run Synchronet. I disabled the mail portion of the BBS, as well as the FTP. This way all the BBS did was the web interface, telnet, door games. Kept my processes low so the TWGS could run at a good pace.

Ok Thanks for the info
tbarlow

TeamSpeak Servers

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]