View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Setting up new game edits etc. 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
Ok Gents,

I would like some feedback, ideas etc what ever you want to call it.
I am hoping to create a game edit that will produce more of a building tyupe of game, but where scripting can be allowed (though hopefully not domanate the game).

With this in mind I cooked up a game as follows.

20k sectors, 2500 turns, 6 hour online time limit. (the turn and time limit, to give those who don't live online a chance too)

Photons are "Under devlopment" and will be enabled after X days (like 6) when the secret gets "out" no fed safe p-torping.

I always felt it wrong that a Tub ould run down the scout so the ship delay is set to half... My understanding is this allows faster ships to be faster...

A few planet edits most notable is planet warping won't kick in to around day 30, to reduce the planet warping scripts... To off set this port regeneration is pretty fast so you build your plants and build your own ports...

Also a new planet called utopia that is just well diffrent... and his Q-cannons kick in pretty fast....

Most ships remain stock, with the execption of the ISS, Corp flag, GunStar, Missle frigate, they have all be upgraded a little...

I also created a new ship I call the battleStar, it is basically a Sentinal on serious roids. It is the ugilist, slowist pig in the universe, it can't land or do much else very well. However for planet/sector defense (what it was made for) it should ROCK with 75k ftrs, an interdictor, and the 4:1 defense bouns... well lets say invading just became more intresting... This was done mainly since planet warping takes so long planet defense need some help...

I invite other sysops to drop in take a look around and provide what feedback they can. The Address is Hiett.org, port is 23. the Ip is dynamic, however the name is automataclly updated should the IP change...

Thank you in advance for you time and assistance...

Jim
aka Texaspet

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Captain

Unread post 
The only thing I am seeing that may cause an issue is about the delay as, I think most players dislike (or to even say adamantly despise or even boldly loath) the turn delays being lengthened and would prefer that the TPW for the ships be adjusted instead.

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by RexxCrow

The only thing I am seeing that may cause an issue is about the delay as, I think most players dislike (or to even say adamantly despise or even boldly loath) the turn delays being lengthened and would prefer that the TPW for the ships be adjusted instead.

You are being to mild about the delays that are put into the games.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Ship delays look like a good idea in terms of sheer speed, but few people try to out-mow their competition in a turns game. It's easier to bwarp shipdrop or pdrop, both of which have no ship delay at all.

Unfortunately the side effect is that when people need to move around in a slower ship they're oftentimes dead meat. Scouts are fine, but they'll still get you dead (fig drop + attack, cannon blasts, etc). So people will naturally want to grid in a better ship. Unfortunately then it becomes trivially easy to get torped as you're now moving much much slower. Since torp scripts are pretty common these days that's always something to consider.

It's always possible to beat the rap on move delay if you plan your gridding better, but most players won't want to do that. So you get a game that slows down and dies... atleast with today's more modern play.

Of course all of that is in a competitive game. Not all games end up that competitive... odds are yours won't, and odds are that won't matter in the long run. In that case it just makes people feel laggy, which... tends to chase people away more than it tends to draw them. Well, atleast chases away EIS folk... I'm sure there's plenty of BBS folk that don't care one way or another.

Know your audience and the group of people you want to attract... then go with whatever they want. Ship delay or no there are plenty of games out there for all types.

Utopia planet... check out the Eden edits. They have a similar approach. Mostly stockish but with a few improved ships and planets. They're rather popular in farming games, but it's been ages since I've played in one. 20k sectors is a big bite of a universe for a game like that, but the 2500 turns is quite a few too. I'm never a fan of time limits, mostly because of my style of play... but also because it's trivially easy to bypass them. If you're worried about time management you might want to keep an eye on the max corp size. A corp of 4 or 5 will easily dominate smaller corps regardless of time limit.

Be careful about the super sentinel. Most of those games do tend to stalemate with no clear "winner." Of course in a farming game where people just want to protect their stuff then that might be a good way to do it. If I was in a game like that tho I'd just torp the sentinel on the hour, making the poor guy suffer in strange ways.

Farm games do tend to be less scripty in nature. I'd reduce the cit times all around, bump up the ore, put more cols on terra and improve the production rates. Also might want to bang with more than average bubbles, as that will be more farmer-friendly.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:41 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
Something I've tried in my games is to have a planet that is fast to build up, but weak, and others that are slow, but powerful. I make volcs so that they can't go mobile, but are factories, and other planets that are mobile, but can't carry enough to make them dangerous. I wish it were possible to re-arrange the order of upgrades, but maybe in the future version that will be possible.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
very intersting, lots to consider, thanks and keep going... I am learning...

Some background, I was playing on BBS's back in mid-later 90's 2k turns 5k sectors, and only so much BBS time...scripting was just comming into it's own then and now one was ever on 24/4 with a script to sping a trap unattended... so that is what I learned to like... I have been in games where it was really all over in a day or 2 and some where it was a slug fest for weeks, I always perfered the latter personally... if it is going to be over in a couple days why bother with blue?

I don't have an audance yet it is a new server...

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Decent ping there, I get 170. Very nice.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:25 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
Sing...

Intresting idea, Now if I increased the resource requirment drastically (including cols) to allow a planet to upgrade the Cit to Twarp, wouldn't that force colinizing (blue's strong suit) and slow down things?

Jim

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by TexasPet

Some background, I was playing on BBS's back in mid-later 90's 2k turns 5k sectors, and only so much BBS time...scripting was just comming into it's own then and now one was ever on 24/4 with a script to sping a trap unattended... so that is what I learned to like... I have been in games where it was really all over in a day or 2 and some where it was a slug fest for weeks, I always perfered the latter personally... if it is going to be over in a couple days why bother with blue?

Darn newbies...they let anyone in here......

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:54 pm
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by Space Ghost

quote:Originally posted by TexasPet

Darn newbies...they let anyone in here......

That is MR. Re-newb to you...

Jim

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
Lmao Tex, I hope the game server goes well, and if you need a hand, let us other sysops know, we will be glad to help out.

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:38 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Well, it wouldn't force colonizing as much as it would make red play a bigger issue.

A red could come in, SST and make a ton of money. Probe, then kill anyone they find.

That would reduce the "scripting" in the game down to an eprober and a kill macro, but... uhm, wouldn't make the game any funner for those that lose.

With 2500 turns a corp of 3 could easily dominate in 2 or 3 days.

The trick to making colonization worth it is to make the production rates incredible. 1:1 fig production, for instance, more or less forces a person to colonize. High port density, too, would help as it would give people more area to build in and a better chance of having a good MCIC at their base. Slow mobiles and slow ptorps would then slow the game down, altho people could still go at it ship to ship if they want.

One of the problems with "slowing a game down" is that anyone with enough determination is going to find a way around it. My guess is that the speed of a game is directly proportional to the turns of the corp (corp size * turns per day) divided by the size of the universe.

You can also make the cost of gtorps and adets more expensive since both colors need them.

Expensive good ships also add to it. If the best ship costs 4m... well, you'll be spending most of your early time getting one.

IMO, look around at the edits that are out there and mix&match ideas from them.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
Well so far so good, I server has been up a day or so, I have had a couple folks drop in and take a look and provide some constructive feedback...

Me personally I always found the building games that lead to the predictable slug fests, more to my liking... I have played the quick rough and tumble type games (abit prior to the "script wars" really kicking in) and while I did ok, I just didn't find them as satisfying.

When Space and I played togeather (96-98)space was always the better Ship tactician... Me, I perfered the more subtile approach, biding my time, finding the subjects of my ire's base, then kicking down the front door and saying howdy...

I have recieved some pretty good advice so far amd I have taken it onboard or tried too, much has changed whitch is why i call myself a re-newb....

Jim
aka Texaspet

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Unread post 
ok from reading everything this is what I have come away with...

P-torp disabled for a period of time.
High port desnsity
Planets that are extreamly productive (ie Utiopia)
T-warping planets come in later and/or very expensive (lots of cols and material)

Ship delay set to 0

High end ships are significanlt more expensive then stock ships... In this regaurd would it be improper for say the iss would be say 1.5 mil and the corp flag 4 mil, Havioc 2.5 mil? (the flag and havioc are upgraded)

Am I hearing everyone right...

Jim

Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Anyone that is a friend of Space's shouldn't be allowed around here......

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next